The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Publisher] Carmel Judaica

smart enough to know better

[Publisher] Carmel Judaica

Does anyone know anything about this Israeli/US publisher? I couldn't find a thread on it. They look legit, but the website doesn't have any info on publishing with them.

Yeah, those guys. I got a query in from an author who was published by them. I went to the website and couldn't find any submission guidelines, although it looks like they do publish books. The author's book wasn't there, as she said it is out of print. I asked her a bunch of questions, but I don't expect an answer right away--or even an honest one.
    Last edited by Donna Pudick; 01-20-2009 at 08:06 PM. Reason: addition

I stand corrected. She answered me quickly and honestly. Here is what she said:

1. "Carmel" is considered as one of the better publishers in terms of book-list, "packaging": layout, graphics etc.
    2. On the other hand - their marketing is lousy, they don't get prime positions in the stores, don't do any publicity and don't try to reach specific/interested publics according to content (which is important when it's not "belle letteres").
    3. I submitted directly to them (That's the usual procedure in Israel - we don't use agents).
    4. They don't have guidelines. In my time - the decision was made by the owner (Israel Carmel) alone. I don't know if that's still the case.
    5. The contract differs from case to case, but I think that in general they don't take on all the publishing expenses and demand that the author share the expenses with them.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Physical store closed in '14. Website hung on until recently, but is gone now.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: