Hello y'all, It's nice to meet you.

StancyMcKatt

Registered
Reaction score
Website
crystaltillman.com
Hello y'all,

My name is Crystal, and I'm from NW Tennessee. I'm a blogger, and I started work on a book during NaNoWriMo (I've still got a long way to go on the first draft even though I won). My other interests include Painting, drawing, knitting, crochet, photography, and technology. My dream is to have a blog (or two) that's useful to other people, and eventually publish a book.

My main weak points at the moment are spelling, and grammar. School almost completely ruined me on writing; because of repeating the same types of exercises year, after year. I struggled with spelling and grammar so much that I figured for a long time that there was no point in trying to write beyond what was absolutely necessary because of how bad my grades were.

I scraped by in high school and managed a B on my final grade (2004). I took up blogging in the middle of last year after having decided that like art, writing just takes practice to get better at it.

Recently I bought a copy of The Chicago Manual of Style 13th edition (I got it for $1 at a library book sale), and I've been studying it along with "The Elements of Style". I'm having trouble understanding Mr Strunk's book, as it assumes you know more about the...the... Mechanical terms of english, than I do. So, I have to look up almost everything that I read in The Chicago Manual of Style.

Please forgive my long winded post. I'm very excited to be here, as it's a big step for me. I take critique well, but I am going to warn y'all that I will ask a lot of questions if I don't understand something after thinking about if for awhile. It's wonderful to be able to meet y'all.

~Crystal

Meira

Informant X03981
Registered
Reaction score
Website
meirapentermann.com
:welcome: Crystal

You've come to the perfect place. Put on your thick skin and throw some stuff up on the critique board. My suggestion? Put down the grammar manual and just write. Edit later. There is no shame in getting grammar advice (Grammar for Grasshoppers) or asking for a critique. If you get obsessed about the grammar of every sentence you won't write anything. . . and you won't write from the heart.

After working with editors over the past five years, I've gotten better at spotting obvious grammar errors, but spelling still befuddles me. I use MS Word spell checker constantly. Words like bureaucracy (bureocracy, beaurocrisy, bureacrasy, beurocrasy - you get my drift) nail me every time. (And you *know* that I had to look it up just to use it in this post.) I've memorized the ones that spell check won't catch (its, it's, their, there, they're, etc.) and I do fairly well. And for what it's worth, I see only a few comma-issues in your post. Not bad at all. Especially since I often write in sentence fragments. . . like 'not bad at all'. And use too many. . . ellipses.

Anyway, from one long-winded girl to another :welcome:

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! As Meira mentioned, there's a great grammar board. I'm sure you'll get a lot out of the site :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings and :welcome:

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Welcome to the cooler, Crystal! I have no doubt you'll learn loads while you're here. This board is a god send.

brad_b

Knight Errant
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in my mind... it echoes in here ...
Welcome to AW, Crystal, I think I was in the middle of welcoming you when the boards went down, so I'll do it again. It's just nice to be here again and have you with us. Enjoy!

Calixus

OMG! What'd you say then??
Registered
Reaction score
The Smoky Mountains of Tennessee (go Vols!)
Hey StancyMcKatt!

From one TN soul to another...GO VOLS!

Welcome to the AW group. Ask all the questions you want. There are a lot of people that have all kinds of knowledge and freely share it with the rest of us Newbies.

StancyMcKatt

Registered
Reaction score
Website
crystaltillman.com
Thanks y'all for the warm welcome! I haven't had such a warm welcome to a forum in years. I feel at home already :)

@Meira I'm slowly pulling myself out of my spelling problems. It's getting better though. I don't worry about grammer and spelling in my first drafts. I write them either by hand, or in Notepad so I can't go back and check spelling untill I'm done writing. (It also helps that I've been teaching myself to type my first drafts with my eyes closed. I'm such a geek... )

@Calixus It's nice to meet someone else from TN on here :) Makes me feel at home. Accept for one thing. It'd be Skyhawks here, Vols are on the other end of the state... ;)

Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome... I shall go poke around. :)

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW!

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

How do you like your popcorn?