Help me make a "zinger."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
I have the following bit of dialogue in my manuscript:

“Why did you leave that job?” I asked him. “It couldn't be the money. University salaries are pretty much equal across the board.”
“Here, it was a little bit more money, and little bit less meetings.”

My agent wants me to make the last line "more of a zinger." Any ideas? Help?

Thanks thanks thanks!

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
"Well, you know how it goes." He shrugged. "More cash for less time spent at poxy meetings."

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
“Why did you leave that job?” I asked him. “It couldn't be the money. University salaries are pretty much equal across the board.”

“Equally pathetic. Here, it was a little bit more money, and little bit less meetings.”

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
I have the following bit of dialogue in my manuscript:

"The coffee is slightly better at this University."

"Their 'No Drinking' policy is really more of a loose guideline than a hard and fast rule."

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why did you leave that job?” I asked him. “It couldn't be the money. University salaries are pretty much equal across the board.”
“The coeds are hotter here."

Why did you leave that job?” I asked him. “It couldn't be the money. University salaries are pretty much equal across the board.”
“I didn't want to work for a university whose standards were so low that they would have accepted Paris Hilton."

"It was a party school . . . the party was usually at my house."

“I graduated from [name of school], and you see how screwed up I am."

“It was a football school. The math students could only count as high as the numbers on their jerseys."

“I told the dean that the only people who went to that school were football players and sluts. He told me that his wife had gone there. I asked him what position she played."

“I was hoping to get a better parking space."

“The dean there not only taught Moby Dick, I think he'd went to school with Melville."

“During the homecoming game I got into a fist fight with one of the alumnists. As it turned out, he happened to be the same alumnist whose name was on the new engineering building."

ichMael

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mail.moment.net
"Why did you leave that job?” I asked him. “It couldn't be the money. University salaries are pretty much equal across the board.”

"When's the last time you were over there--across the board? It pays a lot better over here."

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
"Why did you leave that job?” I asked him. “It couldn't be the money. University salaries are pretty much equal across the board.”

"Location, location, location."

"I have no outstanding warrants here."

"Same pay, fewer hassles, even fewer morons, and that's hard to find in an Academic setting."

"They agreed to let me borrow the mascot costume on non-game Saturday nights."

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think the OP forgot about this thread.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Heck, I don't care, Alley, it's a nice primer.

I just left a primer in my "Patent Writing Help" in Biz writing, I'm curious about the reaction it'll get there.

Go check it out.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
"The board's on a slope. This place was at the bottom edge."

Cheers,
Rob

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't forget - your suggestions were excellent, and gave me the motivation that I needed to rewrite that section. Majors kudos all around.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
00041aw2

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
"But half the tenured guys here remember Pearl Harbour."
"So, more low-hanging fruit?"
"Ike Newton never climbed an apple tree. He just stood around and waited for them to fall on his head."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.