dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
This randomly occurring problem is caused by browser cookie confusion -- the cookie that remembers the SYW password for you has somehow tied itself in a knot.

The usual way to fix this is:

• Log Out of AW Water Cooler
  • Clear your browser's cookies
    • If using Internet Explorer, select Tools > Internet Options > Delete button (under Browsing history)
    • If using Firefox, select Tools > Clear Private Data
  • Close your browser - then restart it
  • Sign back into AW Water Cooler with your usual username/password
  • Go to Share Your Work and supply the vista password when prompted
If that still doesn't work then reply in this thread, or post in Tech Help forum, or PM a moderator -- either way, we'll try to help you resolve this niggly problem ASAP.

PS - There's also this vBulletin info on cookies vs. browsers:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_usage#faq_vb3_cookies

PPS - if you don't already have cookie-cleanup software like Spyware Doctor (for Windows users) then consider installing this, it's a free download from Google Pack: http://pack.google.com

Last edited:

Mogiz

Registered
Reaction score
This randomly occurring problem is caused by browser cookie confusion -- the cookie that remembers the SYW password for you has somehow tied itself in a knot.

The usual way to fix this is:
  • Log Out of AW Water Cooler
  • Clear your browser's cookies
    • If using Internet Explorer, select Tools > Internet Options > Delete button (under Browsing history)
    • If using Firefox, select Tools > Clear Private Data
  • Close your browser - then restart it
  • Sign back into AW Water Cooler with your usual username/password
  • Go to Share Your Work and supply the vista password when prompted
If that still doesn't work then reply in this thread, or post in Tech Help forum, or PM a moderator -- either way, we'll try to help you resolve this niggly problem ASAP.

PS - if you don't already have cookie-cleanup software like Spyware Doctor (for Windows users) then consider installing this, it's a free download from Google Pack: http://pack.google.com

Vista password ? user acc password ?

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I'll add another note here about Share Your Work:

When you plan to post your work in this forum for comments, remember the critiques can be harsh sometimes ... but honest, so prepare yourself for that. Everyone means well, though. Their goal is to get you the best novel/story/article possible and to get it published. You could also critique some of the other members' work too. It is surprising how that can help with your own. And it doesn't hurt to 'pay it forward' :) .

Check out the how-to guide threads in Main Share Your Work sub-forum, then post your material in one of the genre sub-forums.

Relik7

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I still can't get in. Well I can, sneaking in through my subscriptions list but I can't see the whole glorious mish-mosh that way. Ever since my last security update it's been impossible for me to get past the 'vista' page.

Last edited:

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
OH, gee guys, you know, well you don't but you might, but I use the evil explorer browser- and you know it must be evil, because even when I log off- sign out cause I wanted to see if something still showed up when I was logged out - yes I WAS being sneaky, I had a plan for mass destruction, well not really but wanted to be voyagristic..lolol...this site refuses to believe that I haven't been here before, and refuses to log me out and accept me as not being logged in...which I found very strange...well, only becuase it refuses to let me look at the site as an outsider.

Relik7

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
YEAH! I noticed that too!!! That kind of thing makes me very paranoid. Just before I was poking around like always and I guess it was the Monday maintainance; all of a sudden I got a page not found or some weird message. I went around and did other things and when I came back it was like I never logged out.

Can't that lead to trouble...like demons infecting my profile or maybe just aliens abducting my avatar? Is there even a security program for that?

Thanks for the Firefox tip, does that come with Holy Water?

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone should be updating their security software: firewall, anti-virus and other tools. There is a problem with cookies on some sites at the moment, and if anyone is having trouble with websites in general I suggest contacting AVG / Norton / whatever you are using. Remember to restart your computers to activate updates.

[If this is a duplicate of other advice it can be deleted]

Last edited:

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
I'm getting a little stuck.

It's the usual getting into password forums (vista, citrus).

I've gone through the 'log out', 'go to tools', 'internet history', 'delete' path. Shut the browser down and then came back to the site but I'm still locked out.

When I log out, it has an 'all cookies cleared' on the message, but the weird thing is, after I've logged out, then come back to the site, I'm still logged in on AW: I don't have to log in.

Edit: I think it's just not clearing properly. If I go the poetry section that doesn't need a password (discussions), and click on the poetry lab in there (the one that needs citrus) I'm automatically let in. I just can't go down to the like of SYW and get in that way.

Confused.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

wheelwriter

Not a runner, running.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another workaround - If have any rep points from the SYW section, then you can go to your Control Panel and click on the underlined thread title. It then magically pops you into SYW, and you can navigate from there without having to change any settings or download new programs.

Deleted member 42

ums (vista, citrus).

I've gone through the 'log out', 'go to tools', 'internet history', 'delete' path. Shut the browser down and then came back to the site but I'm still locked out.

When I log out, it has an 'all cookies cleared' on the message, but the weird thing is, after I've logged out, then come back to the site, I'm still logged in on AW: I don't have to log in.

If you're using Windows, windows stashes an extra copy of any cookies for any Web sites you have bookmarked or favorited; you need to delete AW bookmarks as well.

Deleted member 42

As you'll notice if you look at the main SYW Start Here board, there's a post called

Starting new threads in SYW - minimum post count requirement

Essentially, before we established the rule we had these and other problems:

• People joining for a crit, taking up a great deal of others time and energy and never responding
  • People posting for a crit who had no idea what it meant to be critted
  • People posting work for a crit that wasn't anywhere near read for a crit

Introducing yourself is one way to get closer to fifty genuine posts.

Responding to others requests for crits is another.

Use the time to get to know the community, the critters, what a crit is, by reading the stickies, looking at others' crits, and writing one or two of your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.