AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Bryant Park Press

I write stuff and break boards. dragonjax's Avatar

Bryant Park Press

Anyone have any information about a new publisher called Bryant Park Press? A high school friend's husband is getting his book published with them.

Thanks...
    "Undying Love," a short story by Jackie Kessler in FANTASY FOR GOOD - a charity anthology to help fight colon cancer

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan M.R.J. Le Blanc's Avatar
    No submission guidelines, no list of who works there or credentials of any kind, nothing except books that are coming out. They're a subsidy, but that seems to mean next to nothing since the Block Island Group says next to nothing about itself too. A quick Google search turned up nothing pertaining to Bryant Park Press aside from the website.

How did your friend hear about this publisher?
    Follow me on my Blog
    I'm also on Facebook
    I have a Dragon Cave

Good question. I don't know.
    "Undying Love," a short story by Jackie Kessler in FANTASY FOR GOOD - a charity anthology to help fight colon cancer

Find out, if you can. If your friend's husband was solicited somehow, that's usually a big red flag. Given that they're new, it's usually wise to wait a year to see how well they follow through with publishing and distribution.

Maybe someone else can come up with more info. The complete lack of transparency as to who's running it really bothers me. I'd like to know what experience these people have.
    Follow me on my Blog
    I'm also on Facebook
    I have a Dragon Cave

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M.R.J. Le Blanc View Post
    They're a subsidy, but that seems to mean next to nothing since the Block Island Group says next to nothing about itself too.
    Subsidiary, that is. Strange combination, though: law firm and publisher. Stranger still, there are no names on the law side, either.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux View Post
    Subsidiary, that is. Strange combination, though: law firm and publisher. Stranger still, there are no names on the law side, either.
    Blargh. I've been looking at code for the past couple of hours, spelling's not my strong suit atm
    Follow me on my Blog
    I'm also on Facebook
    I have a Dragon Cave

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.J. Le Blanc View Post
    Find out, if you can. If your friend's husband was solicited somehow, that's usually a big red flag. Given that they're new, it's usually wise to wait a year to see how well they follow through with publishing and distribution.

Maybe someone else can come up with more info. The complete lack of transparency as to who's running it really bothers me. I'd like to know what experience these people have.
    Agreed all around. If I get an answer on how he found out about BPP, I'll post here. I'm hopeful that this is all above board, and that BPP is completely legit. Hope, hope, hope.

Thanks so much for your feedback on this.

More info: My friend says her husband found out about Bryant Park through word of mouth; it's not like BPP solicited the manuscript.

It's sounding more and more that BPP is legit, which is a relief. It's going to be a lot of work for my friend's husband, because it sounds like all the promotion will be on him, similar to many small press outfits. But I'm glad that he didn't get suckered.

I appreciate everyone's feedback from earlier in the thread. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonjax View Post
    More info: My friend says her husband found out about Bryant Park through word of mouth; it's not like BPP solicited the manuscript.

It's sounding more and more that BPP is legit, which is a relief. It's going to be a lot of work for my friend's husband, because it sounds like all the promotion will be on him, similar to many small press outfits. But I'm glad that he didn't get suckered.

I appreciate everyone's feedback from earlier in the thread. Thanks again.
    Uhhh...I wouldn't be 100% positive just yet. Even small presses can promote their books decently well. They may rely on more marketing support from the author than larger houses, but I have yet to see a legit small house around here that says all or most of the promotion falls on the author. That doesn't sound like a legit house to me.
    Follow me on my Blog
    I'm also on Facebook
    I have a Dragon Cave

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    Hate to say this, but if all the promotion is on his shoulders, it might not work out too well. An author can assist with the promotion, but the majority of the work should handled by the publisher.

ETA: ACK! Posting at the same time doesn't usually turn out too well, does it?

Whoa -- my mistake! I just reread what my friend said, and she didn't say anywhere in her emails that he had to do all the promotion. Or, actually, any promotion. That was completely me putting that in there. Guess I was reading into it...

Updating link: http://www.bryantparkpress.com/Index.html

They've added an imprint: Block Island Books.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux View Post
    Updating link: http://www.bryantparkpress.com/Index.html

They've added an imprint: Block Island Books.
    Block Island Books? That's odd...I have a summer home on Block Island (or rather, my parents do, as I'm just out of college) and I've never heard of "Block Island Books" or anything like it...so not sure how good a sign that is...(and it's a small island, like 1200 residents in winter small)...

Updating link: http://www.bryantparkpress.com/blog/

Only one book since May '10, pubbed Feb '11 by the Block Island imprint.
    ICAO
    ---------

Just the facts, please
    Website now dead.

As are imprint and parent sites. Law firm site remains: http://www.agilitylaw.com/ag.html
    ICAO
    ---------