• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Bryant Park Press

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
No submission guidelines, no list of who works there or credentials of any kind, nothing except books that are coming out. They're a subsidy, but that seems to mean next to nothing since the Block Island Group says next to nothing about itself too. A quick Google search turned up nothing pertaining to Bryant Park Press aside from the website.

How did your friend hear about this publisher?

M.R.J. Le Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
Find out, if you can. If your friend's husband was solicited somehow, that's usually a big red flag. Given that they're new, it's usually wise to wait a year to see how well they follow through with publishing and distribution.

Maybe someone else can come up with more info. The complete lack of transparency as to who's running it really bothers me. I'd like to know what experience these people have.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
They're a subsidy, but that seems to mean next to nothing since the Block Island Group says next to nothing about itself too.
Subsidiary, that is. Strange combination, though: law firm and publisher. Stranger still, there are no names on the law side, either.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
Subsidiary, that is. Strange combination, though: law firm and publisher. Stranger still, there are no names on the law side, either.

Blargh. I've been looking at code for the past couple of hours, spelling's not my strong suit atm :)

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Find out, if you can. If your friend's husband was solicited somehow, that's usually a big red flag. Given that they're new, it's usually wise to wait a year to see how well they follow through with publishing and distribution.

Maybe someone else can come up with more info. The complete lack of transparency as to who's running it really bothers me. I'd like to know what experience these people have.

Agreed all around. If I get an answer on how he found out about BPP, I'll post here. I'm hopeful that this is all above board, and that BPP is completely legit. Hope, hope, hope.

Thanks so much for your feedback on this.

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
More info: My friend says her husband found out about Bryant Park through word of mouth; it's not like BPP solicited the manuscript.

It's sounding more and more that BPP is legit, which is a relief. It's going to be a lot of work for my friend's husband, because it sounds like all the promotion will be on him, similar to many small press outfits. But I'm glad that he didn't get suckered.

I appreciate everyone's feedback from earlier in the thread. Thanks again.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
More info: My friend says her husband found out about Bryant Park through word of mouth; it's not like BPP solicited the manuscript.

It's sounding more and more that BPP is legit, which is a relief. It's going to be a lot of work for my friend's husband, because it sounds like all the promotion will be on him, similar to many small press outfits. But I'm glad that he didn't get suckered.

I appreciate everyone's feedback from earlier in the thread. Thanks again.

Uhhh...I wouldn't be 100% positive just yet. Even small presses can promote their books decently well. They may rely on more marketing support from the author than larger houses, but I have yet to see a legit small house around here that says all or most of the promotion falls on the author. That doesn't sound like a legit house to me.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hate to say this, but if all the promotion is on his shoulders, it might not work out too well. An author can assist with the promotion, but the majority of the work should handled by the publisher.

ETA: ACK! Posting at the same time doesn't usually turn out too well, does it?

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Whoa -- my mistake! I just reread what my friend said, and she didn't say anywhere in her emails that he had to do all the promotion. Or, actually, any promotion. That was completely me putting that in there. Guess I was reading into it...

curlbe

Registered
Reaction score