The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Indigo Sea Press (formerly Second Wind Publishing)

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Indigo Sea Press (formerly Second Wind Publishing)

I've been in contact with this publisher (?) and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them. Their website is: http://secondwindpublishing.com/

Thanks

Raven West

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    The press is three months old and started by unpublished authors as a "lark".

I doubt anyone outside the founders has really had time to gain any direct experience with them. But as they sell only through their own site, via paypal, I wouldn't expect to make huge sales via this press.
    Last edited by veinglory; 01-12-2009 at 09:37 PM.
    Emily Veinglory

Killing my darlings... xXFireSpiritXx's Avatar
    I have been solicited by them via Facebook just because I mentioned I was a writer. Sorry, when someone solicits me I tend to look the other way. Also this really freaks me out:
    "We are storytellers. We have fulfilled an integral role
    for the human race ever since there was a spoken
    language. Storytelling is time travel and teleportation;
    it is prophecy; it is philosophy; it is not just the
    elimination of barriers but the co-mingling of
    perceptions; storytelling allows us to emotionally,
    spiritually and intellectually suspend barriers and
    relearn our humanity."
    – Mike Simpson, Publisher
    I get what they are saying but damn.
    "The Worst Foe Lies Within The Self"

I wouldn't choose them. For the reasons in both veinglory's and JasonRobert's posts, and the fact that the covers of their books look like they were made in MS Paint in only a few minutes. The cover of "Night and Day" might even be using a copyrighted image found on Google. And the "See Jane Not Run" is nothing but a white page with text.

The "School of Lies" cover is almost laughable to me. It's obvious that they were trying to emulate the use of graffiti, but graffiti does not look like the spray tool in MS Paint. Again, that image looks like it could have been Googled (although, in their defence, they could have taken the image themselves or purchased rights to it).

I'm not meaning to diss the author or the company, but the covers of the books really are below par. Much below par.

This could work for some authors who just want to make their materials available for their own use, but I think that, if you are serious about making your work widespread, another publishing house would be a better choice.

Grumpy writer and editor Absolute Sage Gillhoughly's Avatar
    Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha.
    Started the business as a "lark"...

When I started my business(es) the goal was to make money.

Happily, I have achieved that goal and continue with it.

Start at the top with the biggest publishing house you can find and give this one a pass.

I've seen better covers on Publish America books. Really, I have.

Like PA, they don't seem to have a preview feature, either, and I've no interest in checking the writers' websites to find out more.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Now available through Amazon and Kindle, and their freebies page has both short stories and first-chapter samplers.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Second Wind

Anyone familiar with Second Wind Publishing, LLC lately?
    Last edited by PVish; 12-29-2010 at 08:03 PM.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    If you look at what they publish, it's terrible. Someone above complained about the covers, which is sign that something is wrong, but the real test is the quality of the work. I looked at one short story they had published as part of their anthology, and the author used the words "was" or "were" seven times in the first paragraph. The mark of someone who has not studied writing, but also the mark of a publisher that does not edit.

The other thing that worried me was that they say right off that they never charge a fee. Do you think Little Brown says on their site that they don't charge a fee? Any "publisher" who has to tell you that is a manifestation of a vanity publisher.

Even small publishers whose sites I have visited say either, we aren't accepting submissions, or we only take them through agents. Even agents say that they are not accepting queries until half way through next year. As brilliant as your work might be, you will play hell getting an agent, let alone a publisher. No publisher is going to solicit you. Trust me.

I don't necessarily think they are a scam, because I don't know what their program is. And I'm sure they will publish you book in some way. But you should know you're not dealing with Harcourt.

I sent in a partial to Second Wind Publishing and they responded only a few hours later. They asked to see the full and had even made some suggested edits on my first chapter. The super speedy reply made me leery, but the suggestions were nice-much better than a form letter. Just started shopping my book around and trying to weed through the questionable publishers and agents. Glad I found the Preditors and Editors website, it has been super helpful.

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. kaitie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mhender668 View Post

The other thing that worried me was that they say right off that they never charge a fee. Do you think Little Brown says on their site that they don't charge a fee? Any "publisher" who has to tell you that is a manifestation of a vanity publisher.
    Not necessarily true. I've seen a couple of smaller publishers who state it, and quite a few literary agents who state that they don't charge up front fees. While it might be a sign that they're trying to do a "Oh no of course we're not one of thoooose guys" (wink wink), it could also be that they're addressing one of the biggest concerns writers have.

Just as we shouldn't automatically decide a publisher is a great deal (or even non-vanity) because they state that they don't charge a fee, we shouldn't automatically write them off because they state the same either. There are a lot of factors that determine publisher quality and those should be considered.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: