• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Greystone Literary Agency (Michael Mancilla)

awmayoras

Registered
Reaction score
Website
probatelawyerblog.com
Does anyone have any info about this agent who recently reopened his agency in DC after briefly closing it? I've done all the internet searching I can -- he is listed with a $ in P&E.

He's read my proposal for a nonfiction, prescriptive book, sounds interested and we're set to talk. I've been burned once before with an agent who wasn't as advertised, so I'd like to get any feedback I can about him.

I located him through a post on the Guide to Literary Agent Editor's blog here: http://www.guidetoliteraryagents.com/blog/Greystone+Literary+Is+Back+In+Business.aspx

I don't see any other forum messages about him.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
This guy once offered to rep my novel on the condition I rewrote it as a "memoir". Which would have been completely deceptive and dishonest. I therefore don't recommend.

awmayoras

Registered
Reaction score
Website
probatelawyerblog.com
I spoke with Michael at length and checked out the books he's placed. He's definately legit, but on the newer side. He already has a good feel for the project and had some good ideas.

I didn't get the sense that he was dishonest or deceptive at all; he really seemed straightforward and honest. Obviously I can only speak to my experience with him.

I just signed with him, and he's going to start sending out my proposal next week. Hopefully we'll have success!

Andy

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
This guy once offered to rep my novel on the condition I rewrote it as a "memoir". Which would have been completely deceptive and dishonest. I therefore don't recommend.
This is odd. I just got this off the homepage: " I do not represent memoirs." (He underlined it.)

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
Pre-James Frey. Makes a lot of sense, given the story Frey told that his editors/agents wanted him to change his book from a novel to a "memoir".

This is odd. I just got this off the homepage: " I do not represent memoirs." (He underlined it.)

---Well, this incident with him occurred over five years ago. Obviously he repped memoirs back then. But memoirs are now very tough to sell because of all the fake memoir hoaxes that have happened----James Frey, the fake Holocaust guy, etc etc.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Aaaand he's gone again. Why am I reminded of Ross Perot? :cool: