Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Greystone Literary Agency (Michael Mancilla)

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Question Greystone Literary Agency (Michael Mancilla)

Does anyone have any info about this agent who recently reopened his agency in DC after briefly closing it? I've done all the internet searching I can -- he is listed with a $ in P&E.

He's read my proposal for a nonfiction, prescriptive book, sounds interested and we're set to talk. I've been burned once before with an agent who wasn't as advertised, so I'd like to get any feedback I can about him.

I located him through a post on the Guide to Literary Agent Editor's blog here: http://www.guidetoliteraryagents.com...+Business.aspx

I don't see any other forum messages about him.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

This guy once offered to rep my novel on the condition I rewrote it as a "memoir". Which would have been completely deceptive and dishonest. I therefore don't recommend.
    www.jamaicalayne.com, http://jamaicalayne.blogspot.com
    www.ravenousromance.com

MARKET FOR LOVE now available; Buy it here.

[Jamaica Layne] has built a multifaceted writing career, in genres ranging from theater to erotic fiction"---Chicago Tribune

"Layne sucks you in and doesn't let go until the last page."--Love Romance Passion.com

"Once you read Jamaica Layne, she will be on your auto-buy list."----Dirty Girl Reviews, on MARKET FOR LOVE

4 Stars!----Romantic Times Magazine

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I spoke with Michael at length and checked out the books he's placed. He's definately legit, but on the newer side. He already has a good feel for the project and had some good ideas.

I didn't get the sense that he was dishonest or deceptive at all; he really seemed straightforward and honest. Obviously I can only speak to my experience with him.

I just signed with him, and he's going to start sending out my proposal next week. Hopefully we'll have success!

Andy
    Andrew Mayoras
    www.probatelawyerblog.com
    view my profile at LinkenIN at http://www.linkedin.com/in/probatelawyer

Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakamonda View Post
    This guy once offered to rep my novel on the condition I rewrote it as a "memoir". Which would have been completely deceptive and dishonest. I therefore don't recommend.
    This is odd. I just got this off the homepage: " I do not represent memoirs." (He underlined it.)

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakamonda View Post
    Was that pre- or post-James Frey?

- Victoria

Pre-James Frey. Makes a lot of sense, given the story Frey told that his editors/agents wanted him to change his book from a novel to a "memoir".

This is odd. I just got this off the homepage: " I do not represent memoirs." (He underlined it.)
    ---Well, this incident with him occurred over five years ago. Obviously he repped memoirs back then. But memoirs are now very tough to sell because of all the fake memoir hoaxes that have happened----James Frey, the fake Holocaust guy, etc etc.
    www.jamaicalayne.com, http://jamaicalayne.blogspot.com
    www.ravenousromance.com

MARKET FOR LOVE now available; Buy it here.

[Jamaica Layne] has built a multifaceted writing career, in genres ranging from theater to erotic fiction"---Chicago Tribune

"Layne sucks you in and doesn't let go until the last page."--Love Romance Passion.com

"Once you read Jamaica Layne, she will be on your auto-buy list."----Dirty Girl Reviews, on MARKET FOR LOVE

4 Stars!----Romantic Times Magazine

Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
    Okay. There's your answer. Good going, Victoria!

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Aaaand he's gone again. Why am I reminded of Ross Perot?
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: