Do You Guys Actually Like To Write? (Moved from Novels to Roundtable)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
Now, I know this sounds like a pretty dumb question...of an aspiring writer...to ask his fellow writers...

But the reason for my asking is that quite simply, I don't. Not really. To be perfectly honest, I feel sort of, indifferent about the writing process. I don't dislike it. But I don't particularly enjoy it, or find it bundles of fun.

I view it, in a very real way, as work. As a means to an end.

One of my favorite authors once said something to the extent of, "I like writing when it's going well, but I love having written."

And I think I can empathize with that stance quite a bit. I see writing as an evolution of oral storytelling, and in my opinion, storytelling, whether captured by a blank page or the still air, is about both the actual story, and the audience hearing/reading and reacting to it.

Soooo.

I DO love to read over a final product and think to myself, "this is good. I like this." I DO love to have people read my work and tell me they enjoyed it, or got something out of it. But the actual process of writing, I'm sort of ambivalent towards. For me, it's just something you gotta do.

So what about you guys? What do you think?

And now, I'll stop procrastinating and start working on my novel again. *sighs.*

Last edited:

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
I do actually like to write. It's frustrating and challenging, but I actually like doing it. I see it as work (it certainly feels like work) but it's work that is rewarding and that I enjoy.

I hate revising, though. Revising is something I only do as a means to an end.

rxvenomqueen

I would enjoy writing more if I knew all the rules of grammar and how to use them. Yes, writing can be a chore, but I think what keeps me from throwing in the towel is the world I slip into when writing. It's my way of relaxing and gives me the chance to temporarily escape the madness of reality. Writing is therapy.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I love it. It's more fun when it's going well, but even when it's not, I'd rather be doing that than most other things.

JJohns

Registered
Reaction score
I enjoy it when it's going well, but hate it when I'm in a rut. And right now I'm in a rut. I hate ruts.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I love it. It's more fun when it's going well, but even when it's not, I'd rather be doing that than most other things.

Have you tasted Talisker?

The act of writing, to include editing, revising, etc., is enjoyable.

The "process" of trying to get any of that published is anathema. Completely obliterates any residual pleasure gained from the writing part. Is awful, awful, awful, with a capital AW.

caw

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I like writing a lot. To finish a novel I have to sometimes write when I am not enjoying it. But if I never enjoyed it I am quite sure I would spend my time doing something more profitable.

Stunted

Ich heiße Superphantastisch!
Registered
Reaction score
I love it. Even when it's going shitily, I love it.

Monolith

Gotta Knock a Little Harder
Registered
Reaction score
I love thinking about what I'm going to write, I hate what actually comes out.

emc07

Foo Fighters Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ericachapman.com
I love it, but I get distracted easily. Writing is a great release. Finishing a novel is not something I have done yet, so we'll see if I still like it then ;)

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Writing it total intoxication. It could be I'm just in love with the sound of my own words. Revision, as I've said elsewhere, is like coming home. Hours--days--go by in minutes. When the world intrudes I'm angry. I want to get back to the keyboard. I love writing, plots and stories are my downfall. I try to figure them out when I'm not writing, like when I'm asleep.
But, as Blacbird said, sending it out into the world is a different story. And here's a secret he does know, getting published doesn't help the anxiety much, just takes it to another level. It's one thing to be angry you're not published, it's another to be enraged when your books don't sell.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Writing it total intoxication. It could be I'm just in love with the sound of my own words. Revision, as I've said elsewhere, is like coming home. Hours--days--go by in minutes. When the world intrudes I'm angry. I want to get back to the keyboard. I love writing, plots and stories are my downfall. I try to figure them out when I'm not writing, like when I'm asleep.
But, as Blacbird said, sending it out into the world is a different story. And here's a secret he doesn't know, getting published isn't much better; it just takes the anxiety to another level. It's one thing to be angry you're not published, it's another to be enraged when your books don't sell or humiliated when some reviewer in Idaho thinks you got it all wrong.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
It's often really frustrating, but the truth is I love writing even more than I love being an academic geek.

Right now, I admit, I love seeing the writing in print even more, possibly cause it's a new experience. But the first really nasty review might change that :D

ETA: Also, since this is general-writing, moving to the roundtable :)

Last edited:

Mad Queen

California Mountain Snake
Registered
Reaction score
One of my favorite authors once said something to the extent of, "I like writing when it's going well, but I love having written."
That was going to be my answer. Now I'm going to have to think about something else, damn it.

I like writing when I already know precisely what I'm going to write about. Then the writing goes well and even when the result isn't good, it still makes me thrilled. There's potential there. But I hate writing by the seat of my pants. My brain can't do two things at the same time. Either I write or I create a compelling story.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
At the risk of repeating myself, why do I wind up with these double posts? Anyway, I like the new edit better.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I sometimes think I actively hate writing. It causes me pain, both psychologically and physically. I dread sitting down in the chair to start up again, and I hate the decision making that goes into the revision process. Once I get going though, it becomes a lot more tolerable, occasionally there are bouts of inspiration that send my fingers flying (but they are few and far between) and then when it is over, I feel amazing.

And so I see writing akin to going for a run. I really really want to do it. I know my body and soul will thank me for it. But if takes so much effort to actually get up and do it. And even as I am doing it, it hurts so much. Once and a while adrenaline kicks in, and then I could run forever, I feel free, but most of the time it is a slog until I make it to the end. And then I feel fantastic, and so proud of myself.

Still I wouldn't give up writing for the world. Even now, taking a hiatus from writing (which I sorely needed), ideas just keep flowing, new stories present themselves, and I feel slightly anxious.

Does that mean I like writing? I don't really know. But since I don't really have much choice in whether I do it or not, it doesn't really matter.

marie2

slowly but surely
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolemariemessina.tumblr.com
I would enjoy writing more if I knew all the rules of grammar and how to use them. Yes, writing can be a chore, but I think what keeps me from throwing in the towel is the world I slip into when writing. It's my way of relaxing and gives me the chance to temporarily escape the madness of reality. Writing is therapy.

I completely agree with this comment. It's like you climbed into my head and wrote down everything I thought. :)

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
I love having written stuff, but I hate the actual process of writing. Well, that's not entirely true. I love doing outlines.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
I never really thought about if I like it or not. It's been a part of my life for so long now that I can't imagine not doing it in one form or another.

I love self expression and writing is just...well to quote Colonel O'Neill.."It's what I do."

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
I love writing. I'm in total control. Unlike a lot of the rest of my life. It's a release for me. I enjoy doing it. It's the one activity I have where I don't feel like I need other people's approval.

Yeah, I have issues show me a writer that doesn't. :)

Zombiestare

obsessive compulsive procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
I hate the process leading up to the writing... Sitting down in a chair, opening word, staring at the page for an hour hating myself....

But after I've started and the entire day has passed and its felt like 5 minutes and theres something decent on the screen, well, that feels good.

Until the next day when I try to edit it and start the whole process over again.

Writing is deliciously masochistic.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I neither love nor hate it. I just do it. I must do it. It's a compulsion and an addiction that I cannot deny. I look upon writing much the same way that I look at my fingers or my hair. It's a part of me that, if it were taken away, would change my perception of myself.

Is it a good thing? *shrug* I have no idea. All I know is that I love royalty checks.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
I hate the process leading up to the writing... Sitting down in a chair, opening word, staring at the page for an hour hating myself....

But after I've started and the entire day has passed and its felt like 5 minutes and theres something decent on the screen, well, that feels good.

Until the next day when I try to edit it and start the whole process over again.

Writing is deliciously masochistic.
I don't get why you hate yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.