• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Raular Publishing Services

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
R.A. Lura sounds very insightful (I mean that, that's not a sarcastic remark). However, new authors get picked up all the time by both the 'big guys' and the 'little guys' and everyone inbetween. It's a misconception to think people like Tor and Penguin are so snooty that they'll only consider previously published authors. Submitting to a publisher is very easy - you follow their guidelines. Each one of them spells them out on their websites, so really there's no excuse for 'not knowing how to submit properly' when they tell you how to do it. There is nothing wrong with giving a new publisher a chance - provided they know what they're doing. Publishing is not an entry-level job, just like carpentry is not an entry-level job. You have to apprentice if you want to learn the ropes. That is why new publishers with no experience are almost certain to fail or go POD. They don't know how to operate. If you're happy, then all the best to you. But I think you could have thrown your chips in with someone better. Plus a good number of folks on this forum have a great deal of experience in publishing - they know what they're talking about :)

And for the record, I am a still-unpublished author. But a still-unpublished author who's done her research on the industry, and is continuing to do so. As far as I'm concerned, if you can put all that effort into writing a book you can put just as much effort into learning your industry and how it works.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, justfran, and welcome to AW.

justfran:
They gave me a standard royalty schedule in my contract and did not ask me for any money to self publish.

Definite a "standard royalty schedule". Although it's good that they're not asking you for money up-front to self-publish, they're also not paying you for your manuscript. You also need to consider how much you're likely to spend in having to market your own book, including the cost of materials and whether you are likely to have to buy copies of your own book in order to sell it, in which case, you're more than likely going to be forced to sell those books at a higher than cover price to make any money as I suspect the contract you signed will exclude author-bought copies from the royalty payment obligation.

Given Raular's apparent inability to secure instore distribution for books, the chances of you making double figures on your royalty cheques are slim.

justfran:
I also connected with R. A. Lura personally and she has started to get fan mail from her books and is very happy with their marketing plan.

Well, I'd expect her to be happy with their marketing plan given that the company appears to have been set up by her to self-publish her own books.

justfran:
I think you guys are being very negative about a company that hasn't been around long enough to really have earned the bad mouthing.

The "bad mouthing" is based on their complete lack of any publishing experience, coupled with the fact that self-publishing start-ups tend to have a very limited commercial life as the owners realise how much it costs to print and market books. There are plenty of other threads in this forum that are littered with ventures set up by similar inexperienced people that went belly up in the first 12 to 24 months, taking with it author's books.

justfran:
Or maybe you are their competition and want to scare people away? Or maybe they turned you down and you're mad?

No to each of these. If you stick around to check out the site, you'll see that this is a place where people who do have industry experience can explain the realities of publishing to those who don't.

Hi, MDLG, and welcome to AW.

MDLG:
I am a fourteen time published author, in two languages,

Who were your previous publishers?

MDLG:
my latest publication was published by raularpublishig a publishing house that gives the opportunity to publish new authors helping them putting their foot at the door of sucess.

Given that you've been published 14 times before, why do you categorise yourself as a new author and why do you think you need a start-up like this that has no previous publishing experience?

MDLG:
Many of us authors have no the means to pay up front a publishing house for their services which are the same as raular publishing render to their author, without the up front cost.

No commercial publisher that's set up to sell books to the general public via book stores is going to ask you to pay up front. The only companies that ask you to do this are vanity houses. Vanity publishing is not a publishing credit. Neither is self-publishing.

The fact that Raular is offering expensive books with no distribution in place for free does not mean that they are a good publisher.

MDLG:
I am sure in the publicity critic render by this board, I know that all serious and talented authors like all of you knows that you have to walk the mile to get your work known I am must sure the pinguin group asked their authors to be available for signings and tv interviews and to inquired about having their work sold.

Actually, Penguin Group would usually work with the authors and their agents re organising book signings because the agent/author is most likely to have control over their schedule. TV interviews are the exception rather than the norm in the publishing world, although some authors will have interviews arranged.

While I do not disagree that authors need to be more prepared to engage in helping to promote their book, they should not be the ones out there making the actual sales.

A publisher that cannot and does not get your books into bookstores is, by definition, not set up to sell to the general public. Therefore you will be the one spending money trying to promote it, you will be the one who more than likely ends up having to buy copies of your book in order to sell them to other people and you will be the one who is ultimately out of pocket at the end of the day.

MDLG:
so I feel lucky to have my spiritual self help book published by raularpublishers, which is now saling in Amazon, Barnes and Nobles and almost all stores and librarys in USA also in Europe as I do have a publicist in that part of the world.

There's a difference between a book being available in a book store and being made available for order at a book store.

The former involves the book being physically present in the store. Unless something has drastically changed at Raular since October last year, they are not set up to do this.

The latter means very little in terms of sales. If people don't know about your book because it's not there in the store, they won't know to order it.

MDLG:
If your publishing house do that work, I am sure they should be charging for the services and guess what?

Guess again. Any commercial publishing house will be paying you for your book via an advance and they will have calculated that advance based on how many copies they think they can sell to the public. The marketing budget will also be factored into how the publishing company plans to sell the book and they won't charge you for it.

MDLG:
about the 7 years contract i wish they give me more years in order to have my book in print.

Any commercial publisher would take a contract without the limitation period because even mid-list books can keep selling for years into the future.

MDLG:
Do you know Mark Twain was a self published author.

So you admit that Raular is little better than a self-publishing venture?

Also, did you know that Mark Twain was publishing over 100 years ago and the industry has moved on since then?

MDLG:
Give raular a chance, they just started.

Why? A company with no experience, no distribution and nothing to offer authors than the usual guff about giving them an opportunity is so much same old, same old. Companies like Raular come and go. Except that they mostly go and when they do, they take the author's dreams and hopes with them.

justfran:
But, I think it might be helpful if you have them re-check their website periodically. Raular did a recent face lift to their site and eliminated the voice but also they no longer offer extra services so they can not be considered a self publishing company.

I suggest you check out my post on this thread here. With the exception of the paid editing services (which do indeed appear to have been dropped from being advertised on the website), everything else I said about:

- their lack of distribution,

- the vagueness as to their marketing and publishing experience,

- the wide variety of genres they are accepting (including stage plays - where there is absolutely no market),

- those marketing efforts they do on the author's behalf, and

- their refusal to set out details of their staff experience,

holds true.

I'll add to this that the front page of their website says they accept "juvenile books" but their submissions page states that they don't accept children's books. This suggests that they don't know what a "juvenile" book is.

justfran:
for someone who has been rejected repeatedly and is trying to get their foot in the door, then it might be worth getting your feet wet by giving them a try.

Or that author could just try to write another book. It's better not to be published than to be published badly.

justfran:
I have looked on the web and find my book is available not only in amazon and bn.com but in Powells and in some stores Australia, etc.

What stores in Australia is it actually stocked in?

justfran:
it really shouldn't matter how many brick and mortar bookstores there are in an area since there are plenty of ways to reach a reader via the internet, which they managed to do.

Unfortunately, it does matter how many stores they're in. Even people who buy books on Amazon will usually have checked the book out first in their local store or library. Being able to physically peruse a book is a big component in making a sale.

justfran, aren't you just a little suspicious as to why R. A. Lura is so positive about a company that is an anagram of her name? Have you asked whether she is responsible for setting up the company? If so, don't you think this is why she's so happy about it and why she's encouraging other 'new writers" to take a chance on it?

She keeps talking about it as though it's nothing to do with her, but her books were the first ones to be published through it.

MM

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I shouldn't be, but I'm absolutely stunned that people continue to think that "traditional" (I really hate that term now) publishing requires money up front from authors, or takes money from the authors' royalties if the advance isn't earned out...

I believe, but of course cannot prove, that people are being TOLD these things. Recently I had to correct a would-be submitter to a large NY house whose name you'd recognize, that no, she wouldn't have to pay back her advance. "But they told me I would!"

Who was the "they"? It turned out to be a small press whose business model I don't know, but would suspect it similar to some of the other frequent fliers we've had on this board. I gave her several names who've sold to bigger, advance-and-royalty-paying houses, and not one, ever, had to give their advance back.

Last edited:

Swordswoman

Resilient and kind
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Hi again, justfran, good to see you back.

I think R.A. Lura does make some fair points, and she's quite right that a business like Raular cannot be compared with traditional, commercial publishers. As I said earlier, I think you need to make comparisons with other vanity publishers to make sure you are getting the best deal.

The 'services page' is indeed no longer linked to the website, but you can still find it if you Google search Raular Publishing Services. All I would suggest you do is make sure you get it in writing that these services are no longer offered as an extra you have to pay for, and will be included in the publishing service you've signed up for.

For instance, here's how the costs could pile up (taken from the Services page)
Copy Edit - minimum $125 but at $.02 a word, could be much more.
Content Edit - minimum $185, but could be more.
Standard cover design - minimum $450, but could be more (at $55 per hour for additional work)
Library of Congess Number - $65
PDF conversion - $25
PDF conversion eliminating the resultant page jumps - $40.

I think it would be difficult for you to manage without these things - especially the copy edit, as the company require your text to be delivered in industry perfect condition. Why don't you write a nice, polite e-mail asking if these things (plus an ISBN number) are included in what you're signed up for, or whether you'll need to pay extra? If it's all included, that's fine and normal. If not, add up the extra costs, and be sure you're not paying more altogether than you would if you went with another company. Do also consider the price at which your book will be offered, and how many you will need to buy in order to market it.

You might also want to ask about marketing. It's wonderful R.A. Lura has been given so much help, but you might want to ask if they'll help you too. She clearly has some very close link to the company in order to be able to state which services they no longer offer, and it may be you won't get the same level of treatment. All the website promises is website coverage and a press release - that may be all you get. If you want posters or postcards, for instance, their Service page lists these at $79 for each design.

There is no need to be alarmed - these are all perfectly fair and normal questions. Even with a commercial publisher I asked about marketing, and any vanity or self-publisher would expect to be asked exactly what services are included. No reputable company would mind in the least if people check them out before committing to a seven year agreement.

Good luck with it, justfran, and do let us know how it goes.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
There is no need to be alarmed - these are all perfectly fair and normal questions. Even with a commercial publisher I asked about marketing, and any vanity or self-publisher would expect to be asked exactly what services are included. No reputable company would mind in the least if people check them out before committing to a seven year agreement.

Good luck with it, justfran, and do let us know how it goes.

Just wanted to put a couple things out there...

-vanity publishers don't like being questioned much at all. Mostly because part and parcel of their scheme is to pretend they're like or better than the commercial houses. Questioning them brings to light their shady business, they don't really like that ;) So no, vanities don't expect to be questioned too much. Commercial publishers and straight out self-publishers don't mind.

-most legitimate publishers (AFAIK, someone can correct me if I'm wrong) don't actually commit you to a seven year agreement - at least not without a spelled out revision of rights clause. It's a misconception to think short contracts like 3 years isn't going to give your book enough selling time. If it's still going strong after the contract expires you bet the publisher would renew. If it doesn't, the publisher doesn't have to be stuck with it and you are free to take it elsewhere.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
My small press contracts were each two years, renewable on mutual agreement. Seven years sets a red flag off in my mind, because it echoes a different printing service we all know about.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
lol! Yes, because I'd trust the expertise of a company that fails to grasp the basics of grammar on their own website.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is what we like to refer as an Epic Fail.

ChristineR

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the Universi
Well, they made it a year, and submissions are suspended according to their front page. I have to wonder what's keeping them afloat, if in fact, they are afloat. So far they have four books by R.A. Lura, six by Lena Sheehan, one by E.F. Sheehan, and one in Spanish.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Raular Publishing Website:
At no time do we ask for or accept money from authors we have chosen to publish for the purpose of publishing their manuscripts.

Yet they ran an editing service, which presumably charged fees.

That the material be edited to the point where we only need to do one good sweep for safe measure. This means they must seek professional editing prior to submitting to
us.

So basically, it's self-publishing.

That they actively promote their book once we have published it.

So they don't edit and don't do a lot of promotion. What do/did they do?

Because we are small and just starting out, it is impossible for us to be able to publish all that is submitted to us. Our budget just won't allow it. So, in our eagerness to assist all the great talent that came our way, we - at one time- thought we would offer those we rejected for publication an opportunity to self-publish through us and reap the benefits of our staff's expertise. Our great idea backfired big time when the "negative bloggers" of the internet decided to focus on that part of our business ONLY and label us a vanity press, etc.

Actually, it was never clear what the difference was between the self-publishing and the so-called commercial publishing line, given that the commercial publishing line never appeared to pay an advance or do anything extra.

But, unfortunately, there are also quite a few out there that are fulled with negative and ofttimes false "junk" that frightens and confuses the new writer. My suggestion is that you, if you are a new writer, do yourself a favor and log off the blogs that spend page upon page bad mouthing companies, writers, etc. as quickly as possible.

Especially when so-called happy authors try to defend their vanity/self-publisher and find themselves asked questions to which they cannot provide answers.

If these unhappy bloggers were successful in the industry and really knew their stuff, it seems to me that they'd be spending their time creating and building up their own work instead of blogging and tearing down others.

Plenty of people here have publishing and professional writing experience. It's the amateurs, wannabes and plain clueless who scream "no fair - the big meanies are being mean!"

We have titles that have made the cut and been granted shelf space at bookstore giants such as Barnes and Nobles.

Yes, individual bookstores, normally because it's been arranged and negotiated by the authors themselves who sometimes have to buy and supply copies of their own books, thereby increasing their risk of making a loss on each copy sold.

What is correct is that we do not have ALL of our titles on the shelves of the brick and mortar stores. This can not be helped. Although we try to get them there and have a returnability program to back them, ultimately it is the decision of the buyer of the store to decide if they feel the title is worthy of their shelf space.

Actually it's because you're a POD operator, which means that you don't print enough copies to be able to give booksellers the discount they need to make it worth their while to stock their books. It's nothing to do with the authors. It's to do with Raular and their lack of commercially attactive terms.

Remember that we publish unknown authors who we feel have talent. But they still must prove themselves to the industry. We remain optomistic and believe that just because they are rejected for shelf space initially, they may be granted it at a later date if their sales prove worthy.

Catch 22 - how do authors prove they have sales worthy to get them on shelves, if they can't get their books onto shelves to make the sales?

In any event, none of this matters because Raular remains a POD operation which means it's never going to be able to print enough copies to make the terms available that will make bookstores want to stock them.

MM

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
'Tis gone. Published one (1) book not by owner or her pen names: MDLG's.