"The Werewolves are better than vampires" book thread!

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I have stated again and again: I HATE VAMPIRES!

I HATE EM!

Gah! They annoy the piss out of me! Conversely, I love werewolves. Werewolves are pretty awesome. See, here's how I see it...

Basically, if you want a one night stand, a vampire is perfect. Centuries of life gives them expertise on many things and what is a vampire going to do if not use his mind powers to bone chicks. However, centuries of doing things will leave most vampires jaded, cynical and dispassionate.

You COULD go with a younger vampire...but...then you get things like this

sickandtired.jpg

Eeugh.

Also, going with a younger vampire means that you're sacrificing the really really good sex for...good and or bad sex (depending on the vamp) with a bloodsucking fetish. And, well, I could do the bloodsucking thing and I'm not going to lose control, spazz out and kill you by accident.

Yes, that's the other problem with vampires! That's why you only should have a one night stand with a vampire...they're eventually going to eat you. Vampires are predators, humans are prey...with guns. But men and women who fall for vamps often forget that they should always have holy water and stakes nearby...just in case!

Now!

Werewolves. Werewolves are not, usually, immortal. They tend to be able to sustain a lot of deadly wounds, but that's not the same as being immortal. I mean, they probably die of old age eventually. Which means that they get only as jaded and cynical as humans get! Which is still fairly a lot, but its still better than at least three centuries of ennui.

Oh, also, most older vampires grew up in the dark ages of Europe. Ugh. That brings up enough mental problems to give me nightmares.

Also, werewolves are actually ALIVE. Means you can cuddle with them in bed far more comfortably. It means they can actually go sunbathing. Also they're energetic.

Frisky, as one character of mine explained.

Bouncy, some might say.

And best of all, they're mostly normal (save for regeneration, super strength, and super smell) 29 days outta the month. And really, all you need to do is drive them to the park, get some steaks, then play "fetch" with your wolfy companion.

So! Now you can clearly see that werewolves are better for a long term relationship than a vampire.

What?

Books? This is a book forum?

Oh right!

Really, that huge rant up there was just a flimsy pretext to ask for any and all really good werewolf novels out there! I, sadly, have a limited collection of werewolf novels due to the fact that...well...

Stupid showoff vampires...<grumbles>

So, I'll kick off this sharing thing!

Some great werewolf novels I've read are the Kitty series. Ranging from the first (Kitty and the Midnight Hour) to the latest (Kitty and the Silver Bullets) this series about a late night talk show host who happens to be a werewolf in the closet, each book has been entertaining, funny and with just a spice of sexiness.

Rawr!

The other more recent werewolf novel I've read is Lonely Werewolf Girl, a novel about...well...a Lonely Werewolf Girl. Though this novel is a bit weirder both in its prose and its general plot, I found it to be really really compelling DESPITE being told entirely in a "telling" style.

As in the entire book was told. There was almost no showing at all. And lots of the characters would alternate between realistic and funny dialog and some really really STRANGE lines.

My personal favorite is:

"I have never seen a frolicking werewolf before!"

I don't know why but the word frolicking just cracks me up.

Anywho, despite these oddities, Lonely Werewolf Girl had me caught up in its story of a warring scottish clan of pissed off werewolves and the various people caught up in the struggle.

So...now that I've shared, lets see if anyone else has novels that are good! And that are also at my library!

Arrrrooooooooooooooooooo!

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Since I don't think I've touted this book enough today, RED by Jordan Summers. The tag line is "What if Little Red Riding Hood and the Big Bad Wolf were the same person?" It's a great book.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!

That sounds FUN!

Is it a crossdressing werewolf? We need more of those!

Reaction score
*sigh*

Don't leave me this wa-a-a-ay. I can't survive, I can't stay alive...

...without Kelley Armstrong's Bitten, which is the only werewolf book I have read.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
...gonna stick to my guns and say nothing brings down a good werewolf novel than the inclusion of a vampire.

Oh, that's another reason why Lonely Werewolf Girl is awesome: No vampires!

Sneaky Devil

Tale-spinner
Registered
Reaction score
ok, ok I get it you think vamps suck
werewolves are cool but i was only actually referring to Anne Rice's vampires who are a little different than your average vamp
personally i love witches more than either vamps or werewolves or anything else supernatural...i'm just a bit obsessed at the moment

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I warned you!

Now...I am trying to remember this name of an awesome werewolf story written in Epic Poem form...

We need more Epic Poems.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
I do love me some vampires, but the last couple of years I have fallen hard for werewolves (and other shapeshifters). Bitten was especially good, I love Kelley Armstrong. I adore Hamilton's wolves and kitties, even if her books are getting tiresome. And Sherilyn Kenyon writes great fantasy romance with shapeshifters. I really do need some more good wolfie type books though.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Well...hmm...

A good place to start, imo, is the Kitty novels. Kitty and the Midnight Hour is about a closet werewolf who accidentally starts up a late night supernatural talkshow called...the midnight hour. Its got an enjoyable first person narrator and a lot of great jokes!

And it has some vampires, so you can ease into it.