• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

A few more literary agencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

hraaja

I was asked to submit a full proposal to Trident Media Group in NYC; they eventually and politley declined. There's an old string in here somehwere about that. Three additional agencies have subsequently reponded positively to my query and asked for full proposals and sample chapters: Diana Finch Literary Agency, Waxman Literary Agency and Creative Book Services. I do not mean to sound like I'm shotgunning queries out there. Quite the opposite in fact, in that I do the best I can (as a newbie to this world of writing) to pre-screen them. Anyone know anything about any of these three agenices? Thanks in advance.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
hraaja, some places to look up info on agents and publishers include:
the Index to agents (etc.) thread here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10305
Preditors and Editors: http:www.anotherealm.com/prededitors
Writer Beware: http://www.writerbeware.com
And, of course, Googling is always a good idea, too.

Threads here on AW include one on Waxman: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8586 . Waxman has a "recommended" rating at P&E.

Diana Finch Literary Agency has a neutral rating at P&E, with a note that this agency has verified sales to legit royalty-paying publishers.

Creative Book Services has a neutral rating at P&E and no record of verified sales.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
By the way, having three queries or so live out there is nowhere near close to shotgunning queries. ;) Best of luck!

hraaja

Thanks, Aconite. I pre-screened these three through the cources you mention, along with a few other agencies. I'm primarily interested in any first-hand accounts anyone has of dealings with them.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
hraaja said:
I was asked to submit a full proposal to Trident Media Group in NYC; they eventually and politley declined. There's an old string in here somehwere about that.
That thread is about Trident Media (a.k.a. Washington House) the vanity publisher. Trident Media Group, the literary agency, is huge and extremely successful.

Three additional agencies have subsequently reponded positively to my query and asked for full proposals and sample chapters: Diana Finch Literary Agency, Waxman Literary Agency and Creative Book Services.
All three successful; no negative information that I'm aware of. I'm acquainted with a couple of Scott Waxman's clients, who rave about him.

I do not mean to sound like I'm shotgunning queries out there.
Sending out multiple queries at once is the right thing to do--otherwise you'll be old and gray before you ever find an agent.

- Victoria

Andrew Jameson

(not his real name)
Registered
Reaction score
Just a bump and a heads up: I assume the "Creative Book Services" Victoria is referring to is this one, in New York with agent Bob Mecoy, and NOT this one in Washington that appears to be some sort of manuscript preparation service as opposed to an agency. I note this because it took me a half-hour to figure out why the latter wasn't raising all sorts of red flags before I figured out it was the former being referenced.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. Good point, Andrew. To sharpen:

Creative Book Services (Bob Mecoy), an agency in NY

is NOT

Creative Book Services, Inc. (div. of Whispering Pines Press, Inc.) an editing/PR service in WA.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
So what should one send Bob Mecoy for a query package? His website is less than completely informative.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
I won't swear to this, since I don't have the email any more (hard drive reformat), but I think I also sent him the first five pages in the body of the email I sent him. He asked for the full the same day (which I mailed). I haven't heard anything since then, though (mid-May).

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Has anyone heard anything from Bob Mecoy? I sent a full manuscript (snail mail) at his request six months ago and asked for an update two months ago, and I haven't heard anything at all from him.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Since we're trying to keep it to one thread per agency, I'm going to close this thread. DeadlyAccurate, please post your question in a separate thread (check the Index first to be sure there isn't already a thread on Bob Mecoy). Thanks.

- Victoria

Status
Not open for further replies.