AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: A few more literary agencies

hraaja

A few more literary agencies

I was asked to submit a full proposal to Trident Media Group in NYC; they eventually and politley declined. There's an old string in here somehwere about that. Three additional agencies have subsequently reponded positively to my query and asked for full proposals and sample chapters: Diana Finch Literary Agency, Waxman Literary Agency and Creative Book Services. I do not mean to sound like I'm shotgunning queries out there. Quite the opposite in fact, in that I do the best I can (as a newbie to this world of writing) to pre-screen them. Anyone know anything about any of these three agenices? Thanks in advance.

Gone
    hraaja, some places to look up info on agents and publishers include:
    the Index to agents (etc.) thread here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10305
    Preditors and Editors: http:www.anotherealm.com/prededitors
    Writer Beware: http://www.writerbeware.com
    And, of course, Googling is always a good idea, too.

Threads here on AW include one on Waxman: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...ead.php?t=8586 . Waxman has a "recommended" rating at P&E.

Diana Finch Literary Agency has a neutral rating at P&E, with a note that this agency has verified sales to legit royalty-paying publishers.

Creative Book Services has a neutral rating at P&E and no record of verified sales.

I write stuff and break boards. dragonjax's Avatar
    By the way, having three queries or so live out there is nowhere near close to shotgunning queries. Best of luck!
    "Undying Love," a short story by Jackie Kessler in FANTASY FOR GOOD - a charity anthology to help fight colon cancer

hraaja
    Thanks, Aconite. I pre-screened these three through the cources you mention, along with a few other agencies. I'm primarily interested in any first-hand accounts anyone has of dealings with them.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hraaja
    I was asked to submit a full proposal to Trident Media Group in NYC; they eventually and politley declined. There's an old string in here somehwere about that.
    That thread is about Trident Media (a.k.a. Washington House) the vanity publisher. Trident Media Group, the literary agency, is huge and extremely successful.

Three additional agencies have subsequently reponded positively to my query and asked for full proposals and sample chapters: Diana Finch Literary Agency, Waxman Literary Agency and Creative Book Services.
    All three successful; no negative information that I'm aware of. I'm acquainted with a couple of Scott Waxman's clients, who rave about him.

I do not mean to sound like I'm shotgunning queries out there.
    Sending out multiple queries at once is the right thing to do--otherwise you'll be old and gray before you ever find an agent.

- Victoria

(not his real name)
    Just a bump and a heads up: I assume the "Creative Book Services" Victoria is referring to is this one, in New York with agent Bob Mecoy, and NOT this one in Washington that appears to be some sort of manuscript preparation service as opposed to an agency. I note this because it took me a half-hour to figure out why the latter wasn't raising all sorts of red flags before I figured out it was the former being referenced.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Heh. Good point, Andrew. To sharpen:

Creative Book Services (Bob Mecoy), an agency in NY

is NOT

Creative Book Services, Inc. (div. of Whispering Pines Press, Inc.) an editing/PR service in WA.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Purveyor of sacrilege davidhburton's Avatar
    Just an fyi, Bob Mecoy is changing his agency name to "Bob Mecoy Literary Agency".

http://www.bobmecoy.com

And on a side note, he's an amazing agent! I was lucky to get him as mine!

Cheers!
    David
    David H. Burton - http://davidhburton.com

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    So what should one send Bob Mecoy for a query package? His website is less than completely informative.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by waylander
    So what should one send Bob Mecoy for a query package? His website is less than completely informative.
    I'll wager it's no different than before: http://www.agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=635
    Snail Mail: query with SASE
    Email: query only (no attachments)
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Absolutely Fazed
    I won't swear to this, since I don't have the email any more (hard drive reformat), but I think I also sent him the first five pages in the body of the email I sent him. He asked for the full the same day (which I mailed). I haven't heard anything since then, though (mid-May).

Absolutely Fazed
    Has anyone heard anything from Bob Mecoy? I sent a full manuscript (snail mail) at his request six months ago and asked for an update two months ago, and I haven't heard anything at all from him.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Since we're trying to keep it to one thread per agency, I'm going to close this thread. DeadlyAccurate, please post your question in a separate thread (check the Index first to be sure there isn't already a thread on Bob Mecoy). Thanks.

- Victoria