AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meredith Bernstein Literary Agency

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Meredith Bernstein Literary Agency

Hi all,
    I have seen the aq listing and PE listing for this agent, but she does not have a website, so I am looking to get a bit more of a sense of who she is and what she likes. anyone here have any personal experience?
    Hootie

Me too! I wanted to query her and looked ALLLL over for her yesterday with zero results. Anyone?

Carlene

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Here's her AQ page: http://www.agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=83 (She/her agency has many more recent sales than listed.)
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 01-08-2009 at 12:29 AM. Reason: fixing link
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

C.P.-Thanks! that google book search thing you did was amazing and so helpful! Is that free or do you subscribe? It seems like an easy way to check the acknowledgments page of any book for its agent- without leaving your house!

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Entirely free. Just go to Google, set the search to Books, then enter the search string. I've found "agent [agent name]" to work 99% of the time. E.g., "agent Meredith Bernstein" (with quotes).
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

CP- thanks for the explanation! I can't wait to use it!

Meredith Bernstein is fabulous. In the 1980's, when I was trying (unsuccessfully) to publish category romances, I was referred to her agency. During the few years I tried to publish romances, I was represented by Elizabeth Cavanaugh, an agent in her office who left some time ago for motherhood. Meredith is extremely well-established, and even back then she wasn't looking for new clients. I believe she has her own solo shop at this point. Last time I wrote to Elizabeth (when I found out she left for motherhood) I received a hand-written note from Meredith. My guess is that she still represents romances and women's fiction.

As an aside, Elizabeth never gave up on me, and she tried to sell everything I sent her. I ended up getting my master's in fiction writing and realizing that romances were not what I was intended to write. They were the first thing I tried my hand at because I thought they were fun to read. So I attribute Elizabeth's failure to sell my work to the fact that after a fairly short time, I gave up and turned to other kinds of writing.
    Last edited by Teriann; 01-08-2009 at 10:46 AM.

Thank you all once again for these responses. Just came across reference to Ms. Bernstein in a mediabistro.com interview. She sounds like a good possibility and a solid and seasoned agent. And thanks, too for the google tip. Never knew that.

Happy New Year and success to you all.
    Come visit:
    debradarvick.wordpress.com

Huh? I don't get the idea of supplying email on AQ yet not accepting email queries ..(http://www.agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=83)

EMAIL: MGoodBern@aol.com
    Does not accept email queries

Saw her at a conference. You get the sense she is well versed in the industry and a respectful advocate of writers. She said she's not interested in stories related to child abuse.

I think you can do better. Sarah Christine's Avatar
    Where did the floor go? (This is not an existential question.)
    Has anyone had any experience with her? Querytracker shows she rejects 100% of the queries sent in.
    Scar: Trunked ftw.
    WatW: Trunked also ftw.
    WIP: FINISHED130k (I hate epics.)

Twittering about your driving skills. And stuff. // Shared Art Blog for sketchbook vomit.

Well, if she rejects 100% of queries she sounds like she's right up my alley...

LOL It sure feels like that with us these days.

So I guess no one's had any experience with her? I have a bit, so I'll share. I sent a query back at the end of July and she sent it back asking in writing for the first 100 pages. I did so, and then I think a couple weeks later she gave me a call and told me she liked what she read, but my novel at that point was over 160k. WAY too huge. She said if I could find a way to shrink it to something more reasonable, to contact her again and see where she was at that time.

I chopped it up and finally got to 100k after a week, then sent her a letter on August 20 and she returned it to say she was too swamped and to check in after two months. I emailed her a week and a half ago, but haven't heard back. I'm not sure if she even uses that email (it's the one off of AQ), so I was considering just sending another snail mail letter at the two-week mark. I hope that's okay? I'd sooo love to work with her.

Twittering about your driving skills. And stuff. // Shared Art Blog for sketchbook vomit.

I sent a query letter (snail mail) in April. Have not heard back...don't know if I will. O_O
    "If you can imagine it, you can achieve it. If you can dream it, you can become it."
    --William Arthur Ward

figuring it all out
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Christine View Post
    LOL It sure feels like that with us these days.

So I guess no one's had any experience with her? I have a bit, so I'll share. I sent a query back at the end of July and she sent it back asking in writing for the first 100 pages.
    How long did it take her to get back to you?
    http://redqueen1.livejournal.com/
    http://twitter.com/katee_robert

Hunter of the Dead: Query-go-round
    Queen of Swords: Rewrite

I believe it took no more than a week. Are you waiting for a response?

Expert Procrastinator AlterEgox5's Avatar
    An update for those interested.

Queried 12/18/09 via snail mail.

Form R today.

The weird part is that she returned my query letter with it. I was really confused after opening the letter because that was all I saw. I stood there saying, "What the...? Who just sends back a query letter? I guess that means a rejection...?" Then I peeked into the envelope and saw a tiny little blue square of paper. I still think getting the query letter back is kind of funny.

So for those who use snail mail, look closely to find your form rejection (though hopefully you won't get one!).

Sorry about the R! I got the same, from her and also from two other agencies that used the same teensy bit of paper to tell me that my ms was not right for them. I guess the query letter inside is to make sure that the envelope doesn't bend, as it would with such tiny piece of paper inside!!
    Last edited by sciri; 01-11-2010 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sciri View Post
    ... I guess the query letter inside is to make sure that the envelope doesn't bend, as it would with such tiny piece of paper inside!!
    Might keep their recycle bins a little clearer, too.
    Moral of the story: Soy yogurt is evil and don't cross picketlines. -Twizzle

I hate mayo
    I got a form rejection, as well. It was a full size paper with a brief description, but she also sent my query back...guess it's her way

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgox5 View Post
    An update for those interested.

Queried 12/18/09 via snail mail.

Form R today.

The weird part is that she returned my query letter with it. I was really confused after opening the letter because that was all I saw. I stood there saying, "What the...? Who just sends back a query letter? I guess that means a rejection...?" Then I peeked into the envelope and saw a tiny little blue square of paper. I still think getting the query letter back is kind of funny.

So for those who use snail mail, look closely to find your form rejection (though hopefully you won't get one!).
    I blog here

My rusty ol' website is here

Black Elephant, White Monkey (9th revision, 83k)

Untitled literary (draft, 66k so far)

Other projects resting at the bottom of the pile:

Project Archangel
    Project Archangel - Phantom Storm
    Grand City

2muchtimenotenuff2do-w8reversethat wrdsmth's Avatar
    State of Denial - (summer home State of Confusion)
    The inclusion of the original query letter is for the author's benefit. Agents know you are submitting to a number of agents and possibly - probably - on more than one manuscript. Their inclusion of the query letter is a thoughtful gesture to help you track your submissions and responses.

Now. Say "Thank you, Meredith."

Partial request today on snail mail query from March 19th. Yay!

Good luck to everyone!!
    "A man without tattoos is invisible to the gods." Indonesian Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux View Post
    Entirely free. Just go to Google, set the search to Books, then enter the search string. I've found "agent [agent name]" to work 99% of the time. E.g., "agent Meredith Bernstein" (with quotes).
    Learn something new every day. Thanks for explaining this!

sent her the snail mail query today... let's see if there's an answer.

practical experience, FTW
    I have not dealt with her as an agent, but I talked with her once over the phone regarding another matter, knowing only that she was involved in some aspect of the writing/publishing industry. I immediately thought, "agent." She has the coolest "agent" voice and a wonderful sense of humor. Not that this helps any, but she seemed such a fun, personable woman.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast