The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

 

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Kerodina Press (formerly Capitol Publishing) / Kerodina Media, LLC

  1. #1
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin dpatrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    13

    Kerodina Press (formerly Capitol Publishing) / Kerodina Media, LLC

    Anyone heard of this? They are advertizing that they are bringing out 4 books in the Spring, but I can't find anything at all on the four authors. The company accepts ms with a 150 day turnaround. They will, however, expedite reading a ms for $60. They also have a writing contest with $25 entry fee.

  2. #2
    volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    27,767
    There seems to be more than one company by this name. Do you have a website? Given the "expiditing" fee I would not be optimistic.
    Emily Veinglory

  3. #3
    I heart Malamutes! :-) JerseyGirl1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Waaay West of NYC
    Posts
    861
    Quote Originally Posted by dpatrick View Post
    The company accepts ms with a 150 day turnaround. They will, however, expedite reading a ms for $60.
    Gee, isn't that nice of them. [/end of sarcasm]

    As the other poster said, can you give us a website so we can check them out? Although, if they charge you a reading fee, I'd cross them off my list - why should I pay someone when legit publishers/agents will read your ms. for free? (Okay, so the turnaround usually isn't that fast, but why should I send them my hard-earned dough just for them to read faster?)

    Sorry if I sound a bit grumpy - it's not directed at you, dpatrick.

    My advice is to just look elsewhere.

    Good luck.

    ~Nancy
    Screw the new blog, I've resurrected my old blog: Writerly Stuff.

    I twit, therefore I am?

    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~Thomas Edison

    It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous. ~Robert Benchley

  4. #4
    aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan M.R.J. Le Blanc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    At the computer
    Posts
    2,184
    Yeah the minute anyone mentions that they'll do x for any amount of money, turn and leave. No legit agent, agency or publisher charges any sort of fees. Asking for one's a dealbreaker.
    Follow me on my Blog
    I'm also on Facebook
    I have a Dragon Cave

  5. #5
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin dpatrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
    There seems to be more than one company by this name. Do you have a website? Given the "expiditing" fee I would not be optimistic.
    http://www.capitol-publishing.com/

  6. #6
    Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    25,366
    Capitol Publishing is a traditional publishing house - we pay signed authors an Advance as well as Royalties based on Cover Price.
    Other red flags: Their page is targeted at authors rather than readers. Of the four books listed on their web page for Spring '09, none are listed at Amazon.

    How did you come to hear of these folks?

  7. #7
    aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan M.R.J. Le Blanc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    At the computer
    Posts
    2,184
    I bet you could make a great drinking game with the traditional publisher thing.
    Follow me on my Blog
    I'm also on Facebook
    I have a Dragon Cave

  8. #8
    Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Coastal Desert
    Posts
    13,024
    Tracking Kerodina Media finds us http://www.capitolmodels.com/ & http://www.mcleannewspaper.com/. It all reads like a "make $$$ on the internet" scheme, IMNSHO.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

    II 2016: 2017:

  9. #9
    volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    27,767
    The tone is very professional too: "Yes - we DO offer authors the
    opportunity to have their manuscripts moved to the front of the line for a fee. (Fee is
    refunded if we sign you to a contract) If you think that makes us any less of a Publisher - do not bother us with your submission."
    (Note dubious punctuation.)
    Emily Veinglory

  10. #10
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin dpatrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
    Other red flags: Their page is targeted at authors rather than readers. Of the four books listed on their web page for Spring '09, none are listed at Amazon.

    How did you come to hear of these folks?
    James,

    They were advertising in Craigslist. I know, that should have been a warning, but I came upon it accidentally.

  11. #11
    smart enough to know better
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    285
    Don't confuse them with Capital Books, which publishes how-to books on decorating, etc. My next door neighbor published at least two of her books with them. They are legit, but say right up front that they expect their authors to do heavy promotion on their own.

    Her books came out in soft cover, and spiral bound so that reader can put them down while working from the pages. Not fancy, but not bad.

  12. #12
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin dpatrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    13
    I don't have them confused, Donna. The Capital you talk about is legit. Most publishers I've dealt with expect authors to heavily promote. Also, agencies, the ones I've talked with as well as my agent, expect you to present them with manuscript that has been professionally edited.

  13. #13
    aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan M.R.J. Le Blanc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    At the computer
    Posts
    2,184
    Quote Originally Posted by dpatrick View Post
    I don't have them confused, Donna. The Capital you talk about is legit. Most publishers I've dealt with expect authors to heavily promote. Also, agencies, the ones I've talked with as well as my agent, expect you to present them with manuscript that has been professionally edited.
    Can you name who these agencies are that expect professionally edited mss? If you want to share in a pm that's fine, I won't reveal names. I just find it odd that they would expect that when your ms is just going to go through more edits with a publisher anyway. Seems redundant.
    Follow me on my Blog
    I'm also on Facebook
    I have a Dragon Cave

  14. #14
    Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Far from the madding crowd
    Posts
    6,667
    Quote Originally Posted by dpatrick View Post
    Also, agencies, the ones I've talked with as well as my agent, expect you to present them with manuscript that has been professionally edited.
    That's truly not something that one would expect a successful agent to require. Agents do want the ms. to be as perfect as possible, but they really don't care how you get it that way. If you can do it on your own, that's fine--better, in fact, because it means you can do it with subsequent manuscripts as well.

    Agents (and publishers) are familiar with the shortcomings of editing (editing can make a decent book better, but not necessarily salable, and no editing in the world can make a bad book good), and also with the vast number of unqualified editors peddling their services. Indicating that your ms. has been "professionally edited" not only won't give you an advantage, it may make people suspect you've been ripped off.

    - Victoria

  15. #15
    smart enough to know better
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    285
    My philosophy, as I've stated before, is that if a manuscript isn't ready for a publisher, it's not ready for an agent. Does it have to be perfect? Certainly not, but it does have to read well and be very literate. Publishers either hire qualified freelancers (especially on specific subjects) or have in-house copy editors who are on salary. It's always free.

  16. #16
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin dpatrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    13

    Editing issues

    Quote Originally Posted by M.R.J. Le Blanc View Post
    Can you name who these agencies are that expect professionally edited ms? If you want to share in a pm that's fine, I won't reveal names. I just find it odd that they would expect that when your ms is just going to go through more edits with a publisher anyway. Seems redundant.
    Name the agencies? Every one I've encountered. I've been rejected by at least 75 and accepted by four. Many rejections as well as the agencies I talked to personally, wanted the editing, including the line editing, finished. I eventually hired an editor who made me a deal of 2 cents a word. (The standard is 3.) My ms is 58,000 words, so it cost me $1,160.00.

    The whole idea is to have it in excellent shape, so they can take it to the publisher pretty much "as is". In the old days, an agent would get the idea of the manuscript and sell it to a publisher who would edit the heck out of it. Not the case now. For most people, if you want to get published it's going to cost more than the paper.

    Hopes this helps. Meanwhile, here's a book I published myself:

    http://www.amazon.com/She-Had-No-Ene...dp/143823144X/

  17. #17
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin dpatrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    13

    Maybe "professional" is too strong a word.

    Quote Originally Posted by victoriastrauss View Post
    That's truly not something that one would expect a successful agent to require. Agents do want the ms. to be as perfect as possible, but they really don't care how you get it that way. If you can do it on your own, that's fine--better, in fact, because it means you can do it with subsequent manuscripts as well.

    Agents (and publishers) are familiar with the shortcomings of editing (editing can make a decent book better, but not necessarily salable, and no editing in the world can make a bad book good), and also with the vast number of unqualified editors peddling their services. Indicating that your ms. has been "professionally edited" not only won't give you an advantage, it may make people suspect you've been ripped off.

    - Victoria
    Regardless of how you get your manuscript in shape, your chances of obtaining representation are far greater if it's in as perfect shape as possible. Now, some people do this with beta readers, friends, fellow writers, professionals. My point is the writer is the last person to do a really good editing job and a really good editing job is necessary to get the ms presentable before you submit the first 30 pages or first 3 and last chapters, whatever. You don't have to tell them you whether you hired a professional or your friend did it. I'm sure there are brilliant, exceptional people out there who edited their own ms, but people like Hemingway, Fitzgerald, major authors relied on editors at publishing houses or agencies (this was the old system).

  18. #18
    volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    27,767
    Excellent shape, yes. But the idea they all specifically want you to have paid someone to edit it strikes me as implausible at best. An author that can do that for themselves is an overall far more desirable client, I should think. And I would expect most authors could do this. Grammar, spelling and syntax is not that difficult--just time consuming.

    I think what you call the old system is just the system as many people contributing to this thread can attest. I am published only via small press but do not pay to edit or publish (or promote) and have been making four figures per year off my weekend hobby in clear profit for many years now and expect to make 5 figures this year.
    Last edited by veinglory; 01-15-2009 at 12:34 AM.
    Emily Veinglory

  19. #19
    SHAZAM!! justinai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pennsyltucky
    Posts
    170
    Ummm...everything that I have read, including the posts by other people in this forum, indicate that one of the key tasks of an agent is to help you edit your book, both before and after sale to a publisher. If an agent isn't going to help you edit your work why are you giving them 15%?

    And I haven't read a single publisher, or e publisher, that requires your work to be professionally edited. That's one of the things they do after you sign a contract with them.
    Follow Me on Twitter: tehawesomersace

  20. #20
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin dpatrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    13

    Nothing's free

    Quote Originally Posted by Donna Pudick View Post
    My philosophy, as I've stated before, is that if a manuscript isn't ready for a publisher, it's not ready for an agent. Does it have to be perfect? Certainly not, but it does have to read well and be very literate. Publishers either hire qualified freelancers (especially on specific subjects) or have in-house copy editors who are on salary. It's always free.
    Yes, the publisher's work is free because they are banking on the sales and the approximately 80% they take, but agencies won't anything so my advice it to get it in the best shape possible and the writer is the last person to do a fine editing job. We can't see the grammar mistakes, syntax, nor the fat.

  21. #21
    volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    27,767
    I cede the floor to our many members who have secured first-class agents. But expect to be contradicted.
    Emily Veinglory

  22. #22
    Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Coastal Desert
    Posts
    13,024
    Quote Originally Posted by dpatrick View Post
    Yes, the publisher's work is free because they are banking on the sales and the approximately 80% they take, but agencies won't anything so my advice it to get it in the best shape possible and the writer is the last person to do a fine editing job. We can't see the grammar mistakes, syntax, nor the fat.
    Yes, but the crux of the issue is: were all the agents you encountered suggesting that you needed to improve your writing, or were they telling you outright to pay for an editor? If the latter, please name them, because that's not the practice of "legit" agents.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

    II 2016: 2017:

  23. #23
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin dpatrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    13

    Succinct

    Quote Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
    I cede the floor to our many members who have secured first-class agents. But expect to be contradicted.
    What I'm say in a nutshell is that you better have your ms in excellent shape if you're approaching an agency like Penguin. That's all. We all have different expectations and we're writing different books.

    Peace

  24. #24
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin dpatrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux View Post
    Yes, but the crux of the issue is: were all the agents you encountered suggesting that you needed to improve your writing, or were they telling you outright to pay for an editor? If the latter, please name them, because that's not the practice of "legit" agents.
    No one told me outright to pay for an editor.

  25. #25
    aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan M.R.J. Le Blanc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    At the computer
    Posts
    2,184
    No legit publisher is going to publish your book exactly as you submit it to them. They have inhouse editors; they don't pay them for nothing. Your book is going to go through more edits, which you will then have to look over and sign on. Should our mss be as presentable as possible? Naturally. But the only agents who I've seen say it must be professionally edited are either scammers, or amateurs. It's an expense we as authors don't have to incur unless we're self-publishing.

    Quote Originally Posted by dpatrick
    We can't see the grammar mistakes, syntax, nor the fat.
    Perhaps not, but that's where beta readers come in handy.
    Follow me on my Blog
    I'm also on Facebook
    I have a Dragon Cave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search