The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is NaNo?

Time to put some pants on then... Lester.J.Blight's Avatar
    Perth, Western Australia, Australia, Planet Earth, Solar system, The Milky Way
    So I take it this means that the Accepted minimum words for a piece of writing to be conceived as a "novel" is 50,000 words? And that to do in a month is worthy of WAU YU DID DOO THAT!
    Fill the page or go mad. (James D. MacDonald)

WIP: Darker Than Black: The Chronicles of The Gates (31,862/110,000) 1/3 first draft complete!
    NEW WIP (Untitled) (completely experimental) (prologue and outline) (???,???/???,???) WATCH THIS SPACE
    (P.S. The MC is a malevolent sonovabotch and you'll want to stab him )

likes a colorful font xXVampyrePrincessXx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester.J.Blight View Post
    So I take it this means that the Accepted minimum words for a piece of writing to be conceived as a "novel" is 50,000 words? And that to do in a month is worthy of WAU YU DID DOO THAT!
    I would say yes to the second statement and not exactly to the first. NaNoWriMo wasn't exactly created to encourage people to write a novel of exactly 50,000 words and immediately submit it to places. In fact, 50k is actually quite short in most genres. NaNo is more to encourage people to write 50k of a novel in a month, and that doesn't necessarily mean that you have to FINISH the novel when you finish the 50k. The "acceptable minimum" you speak of kind of varies, and NaNo definitely doesn't determine what it is.

~Amber~

Now available (see sig for link)! Cliff Face's Avatar
    Yeah, and I think 50k was chosen because it's sort of in the middle of regular novel-length stuff (80-100k) and novellas (20-40k), a nice round number, not *too* daunting, and could actually be novel length for those people writing for younger audiences.

At least, that theory makes sense to me. I have no sources to cite to back this up.
    To listen to my feeble attempts at music, go here! I'll be adding to it (hopefully) for all of February.

Buy my comedic urban fantasy novel on Kindle today!
    I now have a blog.
    (Updated 23 January 2016)
    I also have a website. How exciting!

Main WIPs

The Black Book That Went 'Thud'
    The Little House of Flames
    From De-cluttering To Minimalism: A Journey

Time to put some pants on then... Lester.J.Blight's Avatar
    Perth, Western Australia, Australia, Planet Earth, Solar system, The Milky Way
    You know, I have had an Idea rolling around in my head for the past three years and I've struggled to get it on paper. With some planning and a strong outline, I reckon it would be worth the shot! Only live once, bring on NaNoWriMo2013!
    Fill the page or go mad. (James D. MacDonald)

WIP: Darker Than Black: The Chronicles of The Gates (31,862/110,000) 1/3 first draft complete!
    NEW WIP (Untitled) (completely experimental) (prologue and outline) (???,???/???,???) WATCH THIS SPACE
    (P.S. The MC is a malevolent sonovabotch and you'll want to stab him )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12