In query to agent, do I mention past consideration by pub house?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, gang, it's time for me to start querying agents again. I'm tweaking my letter, and need to know if it's acceptable to include the fact that Avalon Books considered my manuscript. Yes, they turned it down, so then why would an agent care? I get that. But I also think it could make them sit up and think, Well, if it's good enough for Avalon to look at...

I just don't know which way of thinking is most appropriate. Help!

Thanks. :)

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
From what I've read on agent blogs this is a bad idea. I know it is tempting to list where you have been considered, but unless that contact resulted in a deal I don't think it will help you get the attention you are looking for.

Just my two cents.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
...and if you do mention Avalon make it clear that you haven't sent the ms out to a lot of publishers. Agents like ms's to have very little mileage on them. One publishing house or two, would be no biggie, but if they get the idea that you sent the ms to a dozen they might take a pass, even if they like your stuff. // Good luck.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
No -- please don't mention that you have sent out the manuscript to other houses and/or agents, regardless of who they are or what they may have said.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
There is never any reason to mention rejections in a query.

If you had finished second or third in a prestigious writing contest, then that would be a different matter. But there is no "honorable mention" in publishing, only "yes" and "no".

Status
Not open for further replies.