Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Susan Gleason Literary Agency

figuring it all out

Susan Gleason Literary Agency

SUSAN GLEASON LITERARY AGENCY?
    Does anyone have any experience with and/or contact info re: the SUSAN GLEASON LITERARY AGENCY? I'd like to know if she's accepting
    e-mail submissions and her e-mail address, please...

Many thanks--Happy New Year to all!

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Gets a $ from P+E

Susan Gleason Literary Agency
    325 Riverside Dr. #41
    New York, N.Y. 10025

figuring it all out

Red face Thanks! How about her e-mail?

Thanks, Waylander! How about her e-mail? Hope to get a fairly quick response since I've got my ms. out elsewhere...Does she even accept e-mail queries? Can't find a website or much info about her, just on her clients... Any more info or feedback?

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    If none of her clients' blogs list an email for her, I expect she doesn't do initial contact via email. FWIW, I found this on AQ: http://agentquery.leveragesoftware.c...ee9b5d4fa6b22e

ETA: And here's some books she's sold: http://books.google.com/books?um=1&l...G=Search+Books
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 01-03-2009 at 05:36 AM.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW Nandi's Avatar
    She appears to be well established, but lacking any sort of web presence in this day and age seems a little strange, doesn't it? She is also unlisted in Sambuchino's 2009 Guide to Literary Agents.

figuring it all out
    Very helpful, thanks to all for the great info! I agree, I can't imagine not using e-mail these days or maybe she just depends on referrals. Whatever, it's a mystery!
    Guess I'll have to go the snail-mail route, ugh...
    Unless a client is willing to share? Thanks again!

I'd email her clients to see what they say about her, although not all of those listed in that googlebooks link appear to have a website.

figuring it all out
    Thanks, all! I tried e-mailing a client but no reply so far...wish me luck!

practical experience, FTW scriptor's Avatar

Cool

Hey yeswecan, I did not find her listed in the 2008 Writer's Market, though I might have overlooked her in it, or something. I would trust P&E they usually are right on.
    Scriptor

"Integrity: what is done, performed or thought, when there is no one around to see, judge or steer your morality."

I have nothing to fear about getting Brain Damage.... Ya gotta have a brain for that.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Susan Gleason

Quote Originally Posted by yeswecan View Post
    SUSAN GLEASON LITERARY AGENCY?
    Does anyone have any experience with and/or contact info re: the SUSAN GLEASON LITERARY AGENCY? I'd like to know if she's accepting
    e-mail submissions and her e-mail address, please...

Many thanks--Happy New Year to all!
    Susan Gleason was my agent for a while. Initially, she was very enthusiastic about the novel she was agenting for me. However, after it became obvious that she couldn't sell it, she stopped communicating with me at all. After months of no contact with her, I wrote a letter severing our professional relationship. Subsequently, I sold the novel on my own, and about eighteen months after it appeared in hard cover I sold the movie rights. Since I knew nothing about how to deal with a major movie studio, I handed the contracts off to another agent who finished fine tuning the deal for me. (At that point, I could probably have bagged any agency in the USA, but I went with the only agent who'd been giving me the time of day and with whom I'd been seriously considering signing before I was offered the movie deal.)

Ms. Gleason was an okay agent for a while. My only complaint, other than the fact that she stopped returning my calls and letters at some point, was that she charges for printing. In my case, she started off by peppering a lot of publishers with my novel in a huge scattershot technique, and the printing costs were a bit much. (She sent hard copies, rather than digital files.)

But she seemed a nice person and did have the ears of a number of editors at many of the big publishing firms.

figuring it all out
    Thanks, James--glad it all worked out for you. She's had my full for a month so fingers crossed...

Congrats on both the book and movie deal--awesome! Keep us posted on the movie!

Got the hang of it, here tbrosz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nandi View Post
    She appears to be well established, but lacking any sort of web presence in this day and age seems a little strange, doesn't it?
    I wish they all had web pages, but there are some good agents out there who prefer living entirely in the paper world, so don't automatically assume that lack of computer presence means they aren't pros.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by tbrosz View Post
    I wish they all had web pages, but there are some good agents out there who prefer living entirely in the paper world, so don't automatically assume that lack of computer presence means they aren't pros.
    I have a difficult time understanding why all agents don't have a web presence. But my current agent doesn't have one. I haven't asked him why, but I would assume that he has enough clients without getting swamped constantly by queries.

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan M.R.J. Le Blanc's Avatar
    Believe it or not, some people are just resistant to technology. I know a few ordinary people who don't own a computer nor how to use one.
    Follow me on my Blog
    I'm also on Facebook
    I have a Dragon Cave