Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Mother Nature Network (formerly Plenty Magazine)

laodum

Mother Nature Network (formerly Plenty Magazine)

I was contracted to write a 2,000 word piece for Plenty. After one revision they decided it wouldn't work for them and said they would pay the kill fee. No big deal--it happens (though this was a first for me.) The real problem is that now, 90 days later, I still haven't received the kill fee. Even more discouraging is the fact that the editor/publisher has not had the courtesy to answer my e-mails, letters or telephone call.

Anyone else have any problems with this magazine?

laodum
    Update: Thanks to Angela at WritersWeekly.com, I finally got a response regarding payment. The editor told Angela that the payment has been sent and I should receive it by Monday. We shall see...

I am surprised by this editor's lack of professionalism. I contacted him with the article query via e-mail, as instructed by the "How to Pitch" piece on on Mediabistro. I offered to overnight some of my clips, which would have shown him my writing style. He offered me the article without seeing the clips.

It was a profile of 4 CEOs in the natural products industry who started companies for reasons other than to just make money. I thought the article fit with previous ones they had published, but I guess not. He told me it was too PR-like for their publication and that they wanted something more journalistic, critical and analytical. Considering I had to cover each CEO in about 500 words, how critical or analytical did he think I could get? I gave him what I said I would in the query, an article that would make consumers feel good about buying products from these companies.

Very unprofessional all the way around. I still think writers should avoid this magazine. I'll just be happy to get paid for my time. As a former senior editor for a natural health publication, I had interviewed each of the CEOs in the past. It was a little embarrassing to have to tell them the article was a no go. Hopefully I will find a home for it elsewhere.

Thanks for letting me vent off some steam,
    Linda

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by laodum
    Thanks for letting me vent off some steam,
    Linda
    Better here than on the street. Best of luck elsewhere.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Loves Joni Mitchell RumpleTumbler's Avatar
    Plenty. Harrrrrr.
    “So lay down the sword
    And put away the doctrine
    Love a little more, love a little more
    ‘Cause everybody’s broken”

Nichole Nordeman

Plenty Magazine folded early '09. Most of its content absorbed into Mother Nature Network: http://www.mnn.com/
    ICAO
    ---------