• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Marketing] RoseMEDIA Group (formerly New Media Mavens / AuthorSpark)

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Leans heavily on marketing your work. Lena Claxton (the woman who owns the site) has extensive marketing experience, but seems to have little publishing experience aside from being published herself. Charges for critiquing and editing, doesn't charge for query letters and nonfiction proposals. Private coaching (I have no idea what that means). She's honest though that her company doesn't guarantee publication or rep by an agent.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
Methinks they're a bit distracting lol, but thank you. I love 'em too.

If they got published, and obviously from her efforts, I suppose that's a good thing. She doesn't look like she's trying to scam anyone or promise something she can't deliver. I don't know how her rates compare to others, so I'd check that out. I'd be curious to see how she helps with query letters though, how well she does.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Of the testimonial people, two have books available on Amazon.com, neither commercially published.

Tatyana Elmanovich writes as Tatyana Tanika. Her two books appear to be self-published.

Johanna Carroll also has two books on Amazon, both pubbed through Writers Club Press, a self-publishing service.

- Victoria

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Not necessarily nothing. Ms. Claxton may well have done a great job of editing the books, if that's what she was hired to do. But given that her advertised services include researching and submitting to publishers, and creating nonfiction book proposals, I'd say that her track record in that area is unproven.

Also, in my opinion, her book marketing services depend heavily on things authors could easily do themselves (such as setting up a blog or social media presence), or else are not very effective for promoting books (press releases, Amazon reviews).

- Victoria

Madisonwrites

The Unicorn Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madisonlovestowrite.blogspot.com
I sent her an e-mail with some questions. I don't think I'll go with her....I'm leary of people I don't know reading my entire manuscript....unless it's an agent or publisher. After all, if out mss. had to be perfectly edited before they go to the agent, then why do we have editors?

Just so you know, I'm not slacking on my grammar or anything like that. I am making my book as good as I can. Just thought I'd make that clear. :)

M.R.J. Le Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
Personally I don't see the harm in a little extra help if it's an informed decision and it's something you're okay with. A professional editor isn't necessary, but ultimately it's up to you. The query letter help I found interesting and seemed like a good idea, but if those two people who provided testimonies hired her and they ended up self publishing well that doesn't say much for the quality of her skills.

Madisonwrites

The Unicorn Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madisonlovestowrite.blogspot.com
Yeah, I wondered about that. I've gotten a LOT of help with my query from all the AWer's and I trust them since several of those who helped me are published authors.... without going the self-publish route! :)