Bootstrapping Your way to Success

Status
Not open for further replies.

quakerphil

Registered
Reaction score
While I find writing fiction far more fun than non-fiction, it's highly competitive, especially when your goal is to earn an income from your writing. So when 250 agents rejected one of my novels solely on the basis of a one-page query, I decided to self-publish. Alas, while the cost of self-publishing has gone down dramatically, it ain't free. So I turned to magazine writing, first for the trades, and then (when I had a few credits under my belt) to the more popular mass-circulation magazines.
The trick to making money writing for magazines :)rant:wait a minute, what happened to the novel? :D be patient; it's hard to remember you're out to drain the swamp, when you're up to your ass in alligators) lies in volume and the best way to acheive volume is in selling articles that can be slanted several different ways.
Most articles can; usually only the lead paragraphs need undergo revision. And if interviews are involved, then an interview with an accountant goes to CPA Monthly and an interview with a farmer enhances your article for Dirt.
More to come.

Last edited by a moderator:

Palmfrond

cereal killer
Registered
Reaction score
And this ad is posted in "Novels" because . . .

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
I know the can says it's meat, but I can't help but think this is just....

SPAM!

Zombiestare

obsessive compulsive procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
I am going to use this new information right away. Thanks!

>.>
<.<

scribbler1382

Write For You, Edit For The Reader
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soderstrom.ca
If 250 agents reject your novel, write a new novel. I fail to see how "lack of talent" equals "screw fellow writers out of their money".

psykeout

should be writing instead...
Registered
Reaction score
What is the point of this thread?

SPAM-alicious addition to the forum.

=rejected by 250 agents
Wow. Did someone miss the bus on this one? Could you not figure out that maybe (just maybe) you should think about trying to figure out why it was rejected that many times?

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is pure spam--the link provided is a pay-for-services advertisement. Someone please pull the plug on this, particularly since the last line is "more to come."

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
I removed the link.

I don't believe this is spam, so much as misguided self-promotion. Many self-published authors have been told to write and publish articles to establish their expertise. Possibly they are told to play in forums, too, in order to promote themselves.

Quakerphil has posted in other parts of AW, without spam-like links in his posts, before this. Albeit in 2005 and then the posts were often mis-guided attempts at humor or parody or attempts to seek assistance without responding to those who would have helped him.

Mostly, Quakerphil seems to have problems with the concept of "knowing his audience." Perhaps you guys could be so kind as to show him that AW is not full of star-eyed no0bs?

You all know where the line is. Do not cross it in your education attempts.

psykeout

should be writing instead...
Registered
Reaction score
caw : Here's your answer...

I removed the link.

I don't believe this is spam, so much as misguided self-promotion. Many self-published authors have been told to write and publish articles to establish their expertise. Possibly they are told to play in forums, too, in order to promote themselves.

Quakerphil has posted in other parts of AW, without spam-like links in his posts, before this. Albeit in 2005 and then the posts were often mis-guided attempts at humor or parody or attempts to seek assistance without responding to those who would have helped him.

Mostly, Quakerphil seems to have problems with the concept of "knowing his audience." Perhaps you guys could be so kind as to show him that AW is not full of star-eyed no0bs?

You all know where the line is. Do not cross it in your education attempts.

mariedees

Registered
Reaction score
The same message or one very similar showed up on Critique Circle the other day, so it looks like the poster is joining various writing groups, posting the ad and then possibly disappearing. That's more of a spam behavior. But I think they're discovering that all novelist do is mark their threads as spam and ignore them.

Marie

Status
Not open for further replies.