What books do you recommend to other writers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GirlWithPoisonPen

Mata Hari
Registered
Reaction score
I was recommending some to a friend and thought it would be interesting to see what the board likes. Here's mine:

Oxford American Writer's Thesaurus. It makes Word's suggestions look wimpy. I love it because the entries have sentences using the words. There are also intensity charts.

Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird. Great take on the writing process.

Francine Prose's Reading Like a Writer. She dissects why dialogue, characterization, description, etc., work with specific examples.

Last edited:

She_wulf

that's me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CaliaWilde.com
Books that help teach the craft: (pick one...pick more, your choice)
On Writing by Steven King
Stein on Writing by Sol Stein
38 Most Common Fiction Writing Mistakes
How to write a Da-- good novel Parts I and II

Books you MUST have near your pen/typewriter/keyboard:
A thesaurus
A dictionary
Strunk and White, The Elements of Style

Optional:
The Chicago Manual of Style
Encyclopedia/Wikipedia/Google

Books that are just darn good: (you can actually learn a bit about writing by reading them, or you can cry in your coffee, cause they are that good)
For Whom the Bell Tolls - Ernest Hemingway (pacing, narrative, masculine description)
The Lust Lizard of Melancoly Cove and Coyote Blue - Christopher Moore (humor, pacing, characterizations, dialog)
Les Miserables - Victor Hugo (political complexities, social issues, complex characters)
The Dark Arena and The Sicillian - Mario Puzo (plot, foreshadowing, and structure)
The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger (anti-structure, character development, prose, and plot)
Hop on Pop - Dr. Seuss (word use. Seriously.)
The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien (world building, epic story arc implementation, and anti-heroes)
Tomcat in Love - Tim O'Brien (word manipulation, plot, foreshadowing, unreliable first person narratives, unlikely lead character, dark humor)
A Secret Rage - Charlaine Harris (Plot, texture, culture/location influenced word use/dialog, pacing, and foreshadowing)
Demons - John Shirley (horror, description, word texture, visceral imagery)
Dead Beat - Jim Butcher (zombie dinosaurs. Who needs another reason?)

Amy

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
On Writing, Stephen King
How to Write SF & Fantasy, Orson Scott Card
Creating Unforgettable Characters, Linda Seger
The Hero With a Thousand Faces, Joseph Campbell
Self-Editing For Fiction Writers, Browne & King.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
Write Faster, Write Better: It is for non-fiction writers, but his ideas on organization and his concept of "write only the stories you can write" are worth a look.

The Power of Point of View: The author offers an in depth look at all the POVs, along with modern examples--including omniscient (this viewpoint usually gets the short end of the stick in anything that discusses POV). The author also has a blog.

The Marshall Plan for Novel Writing: I couldn't outline a novel the way Marshall suggests, but he brings up several important parts of a novel in plain language and explains them. He wrote the book because a writer at a conference asked "How do you write a book?" and another guest speaker started talking conceptual.

Non-Writing Books:

World Book Encyclopedia: This is always the first encyclopedia I go to when I need a quick summary about anything. Can be subscribed to online.

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer: If you're having trouble writing about scent, try this book. The entire story is about a man who sees the world through smell (and turns into a serial killer).

What the Nose Knows: A new non-fiction book. A lot of discussion on elements of smell that could be used for description in a book (odor phobia, desensitization, even recommendations of novels to read).

Reaction score
I hate Bird by Bird. Hate it, hate it, hate it. It's 200 pages of self-indulgent, attention-seeking mindwank.

Love On Writing, though. Read it three or four times. So far.

Wannabe a Writer by Jane Wenham-Jones is fun even if it does play up the stereotype of all women being diet-obessed.

And the NaNoWriMo book of course - Chris Baty's No Plot? No Problem!. It helped me just swtich off the internal editor and get the first draft done.

Status
Not open for further replies.