AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Better Be Write Publisher Inc. / A-Argus Better Book Publishers

Hybrid View

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

A Better Be Write Publisher Inc. / A-Argus Better Book Publishers

Anything? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

P&E has no recommendation either way on this publisher in New Jersey. A glance at their web site shows some books with ISBNs, but it doesn't seem like they have a lot of authors in the stable. They requested by non-fic proposal so I'm looking for anyone who's had contact with them in the past. Thanks...

practical experience, FTW frandavea's Avatar
    I recently submitted a partial to them. Got an email two weeks later, stating they now have two publishing 'options,' one of course being an investment from the author to the tune of almost $900.

And, of course, they welcomed me to resubmit. Thanx but no thanx.
    D.M. Anderson
    http://dmanderson.blogspot.com
    http://twitter.com/frandavea

Killer Cows (Echelon Press) - Paperback or kindle at www.amazon.com Ebook: www.fictionwise.com .
    Shaken (Echelon Press)
    With the Wicked (on submission)
    The Dark Ride - WIP

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Yup. I just got an email from a writer who was offered the same deal.

So, it's an amateur publisher...and now it's a vanity publisher.

- Victoria

A-Argus Better Book Publishers

I got an offer from A-Argus Better Boook Publishers, a classic publishing house and they asked for a fine from me. They're still a standard house, because I asked about marketing and such, and they really make an effort with marketing and everything. Originally, the offer was to be an investment, of mine, of around 1400 dollars, but they made an offer to me of around 600. I told them I wouldn't pay the fee, and I am in the works of negotiating with them, but now I'm having second thoughts. They shouldn't have asked for a fee in the first place, and even if I end up not having to pay it, it makes me wonder. I'm almost sure if you asked all their published authors they'd tell you they didn't pay a fee, so I'm confused. Anyone got any advice or warnings? Or dealings with them previously?
    Waid Harbison
    Message from Feline Quarter's

Around
    Money flows toward the author. I don't know what a "classic" publishing house is, but publishers don't ask for money from you. They give you money.
    Blog: Organized Chaos | Pinterest | Facebook | Website | Twitter

"Holy f*ck!" --Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks, on CHANGELING.

The public doesn't trust them. The government wants to control them. Being a superhero has never been this hard, especially for Tempest.--Coming April 22, 2013 from Pocket Star.

classic i meant a standard publisher, but your right which is odd about the whole situation
    Waid Harbison

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

We know that you have many choices of companies from which to choose a publisher for your book, but here at A-Argus we believe that it is necessary to keep communication lines open and to utilize your creative mind with ours in order to put out a book that we can all be proud of. After all, our goals are your goals.

Well, the first part of their mission statement sucks for me, but this last part is implying that I'm out there choosing my publisher. I'm really choosing who I submit to, and hoping from those subs that a publisher chooses me. The rest of the statement is redundant.

And I didn't see any mention of funds or investment on their website. Is this somethin they asked of you AFTER they accepted your submission? If so, It's kinda sneaky/scammy.

Tri

Around
    Other warning sign: the prices of their books. $19.95 and $22.95 for what I'm assuming is...actually, I don't have a clue. It doesn't say if the books are mass market, trade, or hardcover. And unless they are hardcover (unlikely), they are way overpriced.

If you click on the button to add to your Cart, you're sent to PayPal. And the cover I'm looking at is uneven photo-shopping.

The public doesn't trust them. The government wants to control them. Being a superhero has never been this hard, especially for Tempest.--Coming April 22, 2013 from Pocket Star.

which cover?
    Waid Harbison

Around
    "Whispered Dreams." I looked it up on Amazon, which had a larger image available for viewing.

they've done some good, they're authors J.D. Tynan and K. Patrick Malone have both won awards in the Hollywood Boook Festisval I think. And they have events and signings for their authors, as well as proffesional reviews
    Waid Harbison

I asked them the difference in them and a self-publisher yesterday. Here's his response:

Mr. Harbison,
    In response to your questions, we offer the following. Yes, we market your book. We send copies to a variety of book reviewers, including your local newspapers and other media, as well as national reviewers, including the New York Times. (Can't promise to get you on the best sellers list, but we do submit). We also enter your book in the Barnes & Noble search for the Next Great Author contest (which is not open to self-publishers) and to the Amazon Booksellers contest for best seller, also not open to self-publishers.Virtually every book store acquires their inventory through distributors. The largest in the world is Ingrams, serving primarily Barnes and Noble, Borders Books, and Walden Books as well as many independent stores. Second largest in the world is Baker and Taylor. Both offer international sales as well as U.S. sales. These distributors do not accept self-publishing efforts. Your book will be listed in their catalogues that are sent to all of the bookstores in the US.Special efforts are made by our sales staff to introdue your book to all of the local booksellers in your area. This includes telephone, email and personal visits to the buyers at the various stores. We also work with those booksellers to generate book signings and other special promotional events. The fact that our organization is a standard publisher gives us additional weight with those stores, and of course, we provide their inventory at our expense.Vanity publishers require you fund the entire cost of publishing a book, which is often in the four to five thousand dollar range, and require that you do ALL of the work. Self-publishing is the road that many take but few are successful. If you are a marketing pro, and if you have the money and the time, you could possibly be one of the successful ones. If that is the route you choose, you do not want to accept our offer.A little more information. The standard rate that professional editors charge us is $2.00 per page. To develop a custom front and rear cover averages over $500.00. Proof copies cost between $30.00 and $50.00 each, including postage and shipping. It is only when the number of copies printed reach 1,000 does the costs become reasonable. When you add in the cost of marketing, you can easily see that the heaviest part of publishing a book falls on our shoulders.Hoping this gives you what you're looking for, we are

Respectfully,
    William J. Connor, Jr.Managing Director
    Waid Harbison

Around
    Quote Originally Posted by waidharbison View Post
    We also enter your book in the Barnes & Noble search for the Next Great Author contest (which is not open to self-publishers) and to the Amazon Booksellers contest for best seller, also not open to self-publishers.
    I've never heard of these contests. Why would a publisher be entering your book into a contest? That makes no sense to me.

Special efforts are made by our sales staff to introdue your book to all of the local booksellers in your area. This includes telephone, email and personal visits to the buyers at the various stores.
    I'd want further clarification of "special efforts." I'd want to know if my book will sit on the shelves of Borders and B&N across the country, just like if I pubbed with Tor or HQ or Random House.

The fact that our organization is a standard publisher gives us additional weight with those stores, and of course, we provide their inventory at our expense.
    He answered my earlier question, but the fact that he calls himself a "standard publisher" at all is a warning sign.

Vanity publishers require you fund the entire cost of publishing a book, which is often in the four to five thousand dollar range, and require that you do ALL of the work.
    He may be trying to distinguish himself from vanity publishers (which are not the same as self-publishing) with the "entire cost" thing, but if he requires money from you, it's still vanity publishing. Legit publishers do not ask you for money. Period.

practical experience, FTW Khazarkhum's Avatar
    The standard rate that professional editors charge us is $2.00 per page. To develop a custom front and rear cover averages over $500.00. Proof copies cost between $30.00 and $50.00 each, including postage and shipping. It is only when the number of copies printed reach 1,000 does the costs become reasonable. When you add in the cost of marketing, you can easily see that the heaviest part of publishing a book falls on our shoulders.Hoping this gives you what you're looking for, we are

Respectfully,
    William J. Connor, Jr.Managing Director
    Of course the publisher shoulders the costs. It's called an investment.

The publisher should be buying your book with the expectation that the $1400 it costs to print the book will be earned back, and then some.

I'd pass.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin samsilly's Avatar

Angry Liar, Liar

Someone is not telling the truth here. A-Argus is a vanity publisher--and a not very honest one too boot. Stay away from this publisher! I didn't and now I'm paying the price. They are a dishonest company to work with. I know from personal experience. My book came out one year ago and I haven't even received a verifiable sales report let alone any royalties.

and yes they said before i submitted it they would make me and offer and either charge me an investment of 1400 dollars or absorb all the costs...they sort of did in between so i'm puzzled by that. and no, as far as their submission policy goes its no different than your average independent publisher
    Waid Harbison

Around
    Does A-Argus provide all copies of the books for these signings at no cost to the author?

no cost to the author. oh, in the agreement they also agree to refund all money upon the sale of 1,000 books. they also have the investment making an 8% interest rate every year for the autor when and if the money is returned
    Waid Harbison

Around
    no cost to the author. oh, in the agreement they also agree to refund all money upon the sale of 1,000 books. they also have the investment making an 8% interest rate every year for the autor when and if the money is returned
    Sound like a good deal. What I would do is email their current list of authors and ask how many of them have sold that magical 1000 books and recooped their money, plus interest.

They aren't quite self-publishers, but they aren't a standard publishing house either.

How did you find them? Did you go through an agent?

ok, say we talk it out and he doesn't ask for any money. should i still go with them? i'm positive i'm among the first from their publishing house to be charged a fine: which is very strange. in fact, some of their author's have gotten very nice advances before. so, this is what leaves me questioning them: of every author they've published before, no fees. either they've made a recent change to vanity publishing or i just don't know.
    Waid Harbison

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    ok, say we talk it out and he doesn't ask for any money. should i still go with them?
    Have you ever read any of their books? Has anyone you know ever read any of their books? Have you ever seen any of their books shelved in a bookstore?

i'm positive i'm among the first from their publishing house to be charged a fine: which is very strange. in fact, some of their author's have gotten very nice advances before. so, this is what leaves me questioning them: of every author they've published before, no fees. either they've made a recent change to vanity publishing or i just don't know.

A fine? What the heck?

Listen: They pay you, or no deal. If they want your book, they can send you a check for $1,400 in advance. Authors do not pay publishers. Period.

Around
    It's ultimately up to you.

My advice is that, if you believe in your book and its marketability, go elsewhere. Start querying agents, legit agents who can get your book read by the big houses. The ones that offer advances and never ask for "fines" up front (or use badly photoshopped covers).

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosTitan View Post
    It's ultimately up to you.

My advice is that, if you believe in your book and its marketability, go elsewhere. Start querying agents, legit agents who can get your book read by the big houses. The ones that offer advances and never ask for "fines" up front (or use badly photoshopped covers).

yes that would be nice. i'm going to see how he responds to me by objecting the fees before i decide. i've also emailed some of their authors so i'm going to see what they have to say as well.
    Waid Harbison

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast