Agency reply sounds fishy PLEASE HELP

raiboy

Registered
Reaction score
Happy holidays all,
I’m a writer who has decided to focus my energies on screenwriting. The query letter for my third project has generated good responses. My script (or partial pieces) has been requested by seven agencies. One of the agencies responded with a letter which I will paste for your review. This sounds a little fishy to me. Plus this is the only agency outside the LA area who has contacted me. I worry about dealing with a NY based agency anyway, but I also worry about scams. Your input would be great.

Their emailed response to my script:

"I finally had the chance to read through your material. I got behind because the Industry's development process and their costly departments are being eliminated so producers are now looking for scripts in a "ready to go" form; i.e., they expect a screenplay to look and be complete. As a result, I have been pressed into service by screenwriters who need help navigating through the revision process. This makes up the bulk of my duties now.

I still work as a WGAe Signatory Agent as I have since 1995 offering services according to the Guild's Charter but due to this new Industry standard I have to be a bit more strict in offering representation.

With that said, I read your material and find your story worthy of representation, which is a big plus for you so congratulations, but the screenplay itself is not complete and if sent out as is will get a bias read.

Again, I like your story and can offer to rep. it but if you want to be represented by the GPA as a Screenwriter, you need to have a stronger example of a screenplay that is ready to go.

Here are some options: You can revise it based on more accurate information about cinematic writing. You could find someone to mentor you through the revision process, or you can leave it alone and we can promote it as is.

This is a bit of self promotion...we offer all these options and others, most are at no cost and others are fee based.

Please call the office so I can explain your offered representation and the options for you in detail."

Sorry it's so long, I've decided not to call them until after the New Year.
Thanks
Rai

Projects:
Constantinople - 121 pages
Jonestown - 125 pages
Tunnel Vision - 120 pages
Nauvoo - 113 pages
Charlie Fights Bck - 35 pages

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
If they ask for money, tell them no thanks. Money flows towards the writer. You should never have to pay an agent anything outside of the standard commission and even then, you only pay it when you get paid yourself.

Also, any agent worth his salt will generally not offer representation off the back of a single screenplay. There are no rules but in my experience, most agents will want to read something else, meet you in person, read something else, talk about your career plans, read something else, send your work around as a sample, read something else and then maybe offer you representation.

Enquire about their fees for your own curiosity if you like but it sounds fishy to me too.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Also never take their word for it, do some research on the company and the person itself. Since it's not listed here I can't help you with that at all. And do so before you query them.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
The reply doesn't make much sense.

He's saying that he doesn't think he'll be able to generate interest in the script in it's current form, but if you want to he'll represent it anyway !???

If he doesn't think it is sell-able then he'll just be damaging his own reputation by sending it out. End of story. If he is honestly offering to do that (which he is implying in the email) then he's incompetent.

The only way this makes sense if they intend to scam you get you to pay for them sending the script out, or get you to pay for his mentorship.

That's the only scenario that makes sense. I'm guessing that this is the Gary Paul Agency?

This is certainly the kind of stuff the Gary Paul Agency used to do .. they'd sometimes charge people $50 to send out a single copy of a single script per person !!!!

Have you ever wondered what polished finished product they are willing to put their name on and be proud of ? Look at this trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJxugCSZ6x8

Professionals or rank amateurs?

Here's a test:
1. Google: ["Gary Paul Agency"] : 676 hits
2. Google: ["Gary Paul Agency" site:variety.com] : 0 hits

I'd run ... even this isn't them, this new company doesn't sound any better.

Run the same tests on them.

Good luck!

Mac

Last edited:

Joe Calabrese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.josephcalabrese.com
Although I suspect this is not a good agency to deal with based on the email you got, I would hear them out. You never know.
Sounds he/she likes the script but it needs work before sending out. Question is what kind of work and do you have to pay them???

To Mac and anyone else. I ask that you all do not mention agent and company names and remove any names of companies in posts unless such a time comes that this company does something that warrants a heads up to all.

Back to advice.

Never give money to a rep. never, never, never...

Joe

Last edited:

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
This is a bit of self promotion...we offer all these options and others, most are at no cost and others are fee based.

This one sentence tells me he has just creaked the door open for options/services, which in all likelyhood as it pertains to you, will cost you in the end. You could go ahead with it and find out at one point they do mention the "pay for this" fees. And then red-shift out of there.

But, alas, you have other irons in the fire, so why bother?

Tri

nmstevens

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Happy holidays all,
I’m a writer who has decided to focus my energies on screenwriting. The query letter for my third project has generated good responses. My script (or partial pieces) has been requested by seven agencies. One of the agencies responded with a letter which I will paste for your review. This sounds a little fishy to me. Plus this is the only agency outside the LA area who has contacted me. I worry about dealing with a NY based agency anyway, but I also worry about scams. Your input would be great.

Their emailed response to my script:

"I finally had the chance to read through your material. I got behind because the Industry's development process and their costly departments are being eliminated so producers are now looking for scripts in a "ready to go" form; i.e., they expect a screenplay to look and be complete. As a result, I have been pressed into service by screenwriters who need help navigating through the revision process. This makes up the bulk of my duties now.

I still work as a WGAe Signatory Agent as I have since 1995 offering services according to the Guild's Charter but due to this new Industry standard I have to be a bit more strict in offering representation.

With that said, I read your material and find your story worthy of representation, which is a big plus for you so congratulations, but the screenplay itself is not complete and if sent out as is will get a bias read.

Again, I like your story and can offer to rep. it but if you want to be represented by the GPA as a Screenwriter, you need to have a stronger example of a screenplay that is ready to go.

Here are some options: You can revise it based on more accurate information about cinematic writing. You could find someone to mentor you through the revision process, or you can leave it alone and we can promote it as is.

Please call the office so I can explain your offered representation and the options for you in detail."

Sorry it's so long, I've decided not to call them until after the New Year.
Thanks
Rai

Projects:
Constantinople - 121 pages
Jonestown - 125 pages
Tunnel Vision - 120 pages
Nauvoo - 113 pages
Charlie Fights Bck - 35 pages

Okay, let me explain how things actually work.

In the real world, with real agents at real agencies that aren't a pack of lying scheming scumbags whose only purpose in life is to separate you from your money -- actually finding a script and a writer worthy of representation out of the slushpile is a very rare event.

Were it to happen -- that is, if an agent were to come across a script like that -- he'd call you.

Or his assistant would call. Somebody would call you. Maybe they'd have notes. Maybe they wouldn't. Maybe they'd offer you a contract. Maybe they'd "hip pocket" the script (that is, just go out with the one script and see if it sold and if so, then you'd be a client and if not, you'd be nothing).

What they would not do would be to write you this ridiculous letter designed to suck you in and start the process of separating you from your money.

There are such things as legitimate script consultants. They will charge you anything from a little money to a lot of money to review and comment on your script -- but none of them are going to guarantee that the results will sell. None of them, if they're legitimate -- should make you any promises at all other than to help you make your script better (provided that you take their advice).

If they do, it's a scam. If an agent or an agency or a management company is "recommending" a script consultant to fix up your script before sending it out, they're the same organization. It's a scam.

NMS

creativexec

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I don't even know where to begin.

This guy is a piece of work. He's a "literary agent" who's also trying to get work as a filmmaker/screenwriter.

In a letter addressed to producers and agents, he hocks his own talents in a statement that proudly announces, "My screenwriting has been recognized by the Academy Foundation's Nicholls Fellowship."

I do not know any legitimate agent who tries to find clients work while hoping to land a writing job himself! I've never worked with any agent who charges his clients $450.00 to offer notes on a script that he'll, in turn, represent on the marketplace.

He also provides a "ghost writing" service!

I respect Joe's suggestion of following it through to see where it can lead. I would normally advise the same thing. How can it hurt?

But I can guarantee that this is a complete waste of your time. In the end, it will cost you money and you'll not have advanced your career even a step. Even if he offered all his services for free, you'd be spinning your wheels. If he represents you in the same way he represents himself - you're in for a lot of headaches and heartache.

Avoid "agencies" with all sorts of bells and whistles - as this one offers. It's an immediate red flag. Agents represent scripts. They don't offer all kinds of services to improve your work. When searching for an agent, gravitate toward names familiar to you or get recommendations from other writers (who can tell you that the guy is legit and won't try to bilk you of cash). Also, look for screenwriting agents in Los Angeles. And always do a Google search to see what projects they've sold and who they currently represent. Then do a search on the clients to see if you can turn up anything on them.

Also, read a book about how agencies operate. Educate yourself on the standard operating procedures of the industry - the one from which you hope to draw a paycheck.

:)

raiboy

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice. This has been very helpful. I'll call him back because I've always believed in not burning bridges. But, I’ve already decided not to pay an agent or manager any $ without $ coming in.
Thanks again, and I love this site. Although this is my first question/post I’ve read many other posts and found good info.

Keep helping each other…
Rai

raiboy

Registered
Reaction score
I've been told some agents will request a partial script or selected scenes. So far, I have not run into that request. As with the other script request I received this agent ask for a my entire project. He also asked for synopsis on my other works.

nmstevens

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice. This has been very helpful. I'll call him back because I've always believed in not burning bridges. But, I’ve already decided not to pay an agent or manager any $ without $ coming in.
Thanks again, and I love this site. Although this is my first question/post I’ve read many other posts and found good info.

Keep helping each other…
Rai

Normally, "not burning bridges" is good advice, but I've got to tell you something.

Burn this bridge.

These guys are not legitimate. They don't make their money by selling scripts. They make their money by separating money from would-be screenwriters who hope to sell their scripts.

Take Creativexec's advice.

Forget about them. Lose their number. Don't worry about being polite to someone who is trying to pick your pocket.

Just move on.

NMS

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha

A) He wants money.

B) He wants YOUR money.

C) You will only ever "require" the fee-based "services."

If this is a real agent he/she will rep you at no cost if your script has potential. All that stuff about "Industry standard" is crap.

Even the most perfect, ready to go script is going to get changed at one point or another. This moron has mixed up script writing with book writing. And even the most perfect ready to go book is going to get edited.

I ran this one past an acquaintance of mine who happens to be one of the co-producers of "House". She's sold a LOT of scripts. She's bought a LOT of scripts.

She said, "Run, do not walk away."

There. Something straight from a person who really does work in the "Industry." Heed it.

Burn this bridge. Seriously. This one's a lying leech who will praise your work only for as long as you have money to throw away.

dbcooper

Registered
Reaction score
A little tact goes a long way

Be upfront with the guy. To me he sounds like either a newcomer or a has been who never really made it completely through that Hollywood door. Tell him upfront, Im not going to pay out any money for services, then ask for a few client referrals for you to verify. That will probably shue him away for good.

ComicBent

Registered
Reaction score
Listen to creativexec

Take the advice that creativexec has given to you. He knows the business.

The letter from that "agency" was a first step in trying to "develop your talent" in return for money.