Merry Christmas my house just burned down!

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
My husband and I were on our way to another city when we got a phone call from our son that the house was burning and all he could save were the dogs (thankfully) and our computer tower and his lap top. He's a medical student and had only been home from university for about 17 hours. All his books are gone, his newly purchased stethescope and other medical equipment. All of the research material I'd collected over the years for my first novel is gone and all my research material for my current work in progress is gone. It's an unbelievable feeling to know that all you have in this world is the clothes on your back. But the family and pets are safe and that's what counts. Friends and neighbors have been terrific and we've even been offered a house to live in until our house can be rebuilt in the spring, assuming the fire insurance company doesn't deny our claim. They're always trying to find ways not to pay so we have to add to our expenses and get a lawyer. Gr-r-r. I was pretty upset at first but now I'm simply overwhelmed by the generosity of the people in my life, some of whom I hardly even know. It seems strange to say but I think I'm going to remember this as one of the best Christmas holidays ever!

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Ishtar, I'm so sorry about your house, but so glad your pets and son are fine and have such wonderful friends and family who can help you out in your time of need. That's fabulous and may '09 be much better for you and yours. ((((((((HUGS)))))))))

willfulone

I am a zebra...
Registered
Reaction score
Goodness! How terribly awful. You have a great attitude about this. I do not know I would. I would like to think I would count my blessings and not have a pity fit. But...

I will keep a good thought for you and yours and hope that all works out well for you.

Christine

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
((((Hugs))))

I'll be praying for you and yours.

(And please check your rep points...)

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
I'm so sorry to hear about your house. I am glad that your dogs and son are ok. I hope that somehow your Christmas is just a little bit joyful despite this horrible thing happening. My thoughts are with you and I hope the insurance company treats you fair. :Hug2:

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
oh my. hugs for being so positive.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Oh, I'm so sorry! Do you know how the fire started? I'm glad you're all OK. The computer tower would be the first non-living thing I'd try to save, too.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my gosh, Ishtar'sgate! I am so sorry. You're inspiring with your upbeat attitude and I hope it carries on you. I hope all goes well with your insurance company and that's just a concern you don't have.

Take care. {{{{{hugs}}}}}

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I had that experience about 12 years ago. Went out for dinner and came back to smoke pouring out of the house and firemen pouring in. It certainly puts one's life and priorities into perspective.

You've got a great attitude for getting through this and you're very fortunate to have so much support. Research can be replaced (been there, done that) as can everything except living things.

I was amazed by the amount of aid we also got from various charities--do check out the Red Cross. They provided some basic staples and vouchers that pulled us through the first couple weeks.

Best of luck in restarting your lives. Please keep us posted and know you're not alone.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Wow. Hardly know what else to say except good luck. I wish for you the fewest number of hassles possible to get your household reestablished.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
How close are you to Toronto? Will you need furniture? God knows I have too much in this house - we can always spare something. A rocking chair, a couch, an end table or two, Even a TV or a computer monitor.

ETA: PM me if you need anything and we're within a coupla hours drive. Canada's pretty big.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! Fast thinking on your son's part. Awesome that he and the pets survived the nightmare. AND he rescued computers.
Wonderful news to hear, how so many have helped you out. I know, after Hurricane Andrew, we looked around with new eyes, at people, ourselves; puts everything into instant perspective.

I hope, through it all, your holidays can still be a joy, as it seems the miracle is that you still have one another.

XXOO

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I am so glad you are all okay. If you need anything be sure to ask. Best wishes to you and yours.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((YOU)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Its certainly not a fun time, but material things don't me squat when you realize that you didn't lose a loved one or a animal... It may not seem like it but you may have just had a very Merry Christmas. God Bless and good luck....

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Terrible news, but your son, pets and computers are safe, and as you said, there's quite a blessing in that. Please keep us posted and know that we're all pulling for you. {{{HUGS}}}