Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey given how the team is doing, it might help

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, like Robbie Keane I follow two teams. I've been following Liddypool since a certain Sir Kenneth of Dalgleish signed for them one August day in 1977.

But 35 million for Andy Carroll! Jebus, Darrent Bent looks like the bargain of the season now!

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Andy Carroll = £35 million. Congratulations, Liverpool, on breaking a new record. That has got to be the stupidest sum ever splonked on a footballer.

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
So they let a proven goal scorer and World Cup winner go and replace him with basically a rookie who is in his first season!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Proven that he was not scoring for Liverpool this season

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
Not Liverpool related but...

My beloved Spurs recorded a famous win tonight at the San Siro.

AC Milan 0 Tottenham Hotspur 1.

Crouch scored in the 80th minute after an excellent run by Aaron Lennon. One foot in the quarter finals. Not bad considering this is our first time in the Champions League! :D

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
Happily the stadium has gone to the spammers. And they're welcome to it. Stratford Hotspur indeed! :box:

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
LOL thanks for sharing that. I've seen it before, someone posted it on facebook. That is hilarious! I really loved his reaction when his team was denied a goal right at the end. He looked so tragic! :ROFL:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Decent result for the scousers tonight in Prague

trailerbride

Northern scum. Southern belle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pankhearst.com
Hmmm.

Yes. I'm a Liverpool fan. And a season ticket holder although I live 5000 miles away at present.

I was prepared to go straight for Torres and I'll never love another footballer in the same way but it was time for him to go and we got the better end of the deal. He's hardly hit the ground running at Chelsea and we basically traded Ryan Babel and Nando for Suarez and Carroll. I think we'll prove to have made the right decisions there even though it was Torres who forced it upon us.

One thing's for sure. The previous owners would have pocketed the $50M. The new ones re-invested it. Things are looking up.

ReallyRong

Registered
Reaction score
Well, this season is almost over and after we've gotten over the minor matter of the European Champions League final on Saturday night at Wembley stadium in London between Manchester United and Barcelona, we have the major event at the same stadium on Monday afternoon, namely the Championship playoff final between Reading and Swansea. There is no trophy to contest for this match. The prize is simply a winner takes all poker match where the team that does the winning gets catapulted into the EPL (with a cash prize supposedly worth around $150,000,000) and the losers get nothing. One of the nicer things about this game is that it's not deemed Corporate Worthy, so instead of the saturday night match where, out of a crowd of 90,000 around 50,000 will actually consist of real fans, on monday at least 80,000 will be fans of either Reading or Swansea. And three of us are lucky enough to have tickets and will be there supporting the Royals.

PS It's gonna be a nightmare getting there with at least 200 coaches travelling down the M4 and the North Circular, but whatever. It'll be a good day to go shopping in either Reading or Swansea.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
There is no trophy to contest for this match.

I think there is. Norwich paraded a second place trophy around the city the other week. Apparently QPR got one for winning the league and the playoff winners get one as well, so we got one as well.

And I don't want to sound like a downer, but Swansea are probably going to gub you.

ReallyRong

Registered
Reaction score
I think there is. Norwich paraded a second place trophy around the city the other week. Apparently QPR got one for winning the league and the playoff winners get one as well, so we got one as well.

Oh - okay, my bad. You learn something every day. Who's the "we" above?

And I don't want to sound like a downer, but Swansea are probably going to gub you.

Many thanks for the heads up. (Winks). I've passed on your warning to the Reading manager and team that Swansea have a secret tactic known by the codeword "gub" and that they're prepared to use it if necessary. When we reached the final my father-in-law, who lives in Dublin revealed that he had actually long been a Royals fan, so could we get an extra ticket for him. We managed to do so and are going to construct a banner with the words "Dublin Royals" painted on it. Of course, it should strictly be "Dublin Royal" but, as I think you'd agree, that doesn't look very good either for us or Dublin. Anyhow, we'll hang it on the bottom of the third tier at the stadium and if you have any other knowledge you'd like to share you'll know where to find us. (Saunters off, whistling a vague tune).

But yeah, having already been beaten by Swansea twice this season, it doesn't look great for us.

Last edited:

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
We is Norwich. (We are Norwich? Something like that) We managed to avoid what Delia likes to call the frigging playoffs, partly due to an inspired 0-3 collapse by Cardiff against Boro on the second last game of the season. 0-3 collapses are their speciality, I believe. The big problem Reading have is that Swansea are really, really good...

ReallyRong

Registered
Reaction score
We is Norwich. (We are Norwich? Something like that) We managed to avoid what Delia likes to call the frigging playoffs, partly due to an inspired 0-3 collapse by Cardiff against Boro on the second last game of the season. 0-3 collapses are their speciality, I believe. The big problem Reading have is that Swansea are really, really good...

Well, we truly got gubbed by the Swans. Good luck to Norwich in the Premiership next year. I'm already looking forward to seeing Delia on youtube screaming "Let's be having you!" at the fans again.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, tough on Reading but Swansea were the better side.

@ReallyRong - fancy a trip to St Mary's next season?

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhat disappointed that Millwall didn't make the playoffs this year, but we've had a pretty good first season in the Championship. And I think both Norwich and Swansea thoroughly deserved promotion.

ReallyRong

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, tough on Reading but Swansea were the better side.

@ReallyRong - fancy a trip to St Mary's next season?

Oops, with all our play-off palava I'd forgotten that Southampton have made it back onto a worthier stage for a club of their size. Congrats! Erm, you talking about me personally or Reading fans in general?!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
You personally if you're up for it. I know a couple of other Reading fans who'll be going (as I live closer to Reading than Southampton)

ReallyRong

Registered
Reaction score
Okay then, it's a date! (And I'm sure I/we can reciprocate when Southampton play at the MadStad if required). Not sure when the fixtures for next season get published though.

BrassStotch

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all - massive Reds fan here.

I liked the transfers the club has done thus far this summer, specifically Charlie Adam. I think he's a brilliant signing for only €7m (considering James Milner went for like €22m last summer and they are both central midfielders).

I don't want to say that Adam will inherit Gerrard's role (who can?) but I think he shows the same sort of fire, skill, and leadership. He's also deadly from a set piece and given Stevie's injury history i thought he was a perfect buy.

I'm less sure about Henderson. Downing will be pretty good but I wish the team would have gotten the other Aston Villa winger.

If I had to guess, King Kenny will play a 4-3-2-1

Sorry for the novel. There's not a lot of Reds fans in my part of Colorado...