Studying abroad and writing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexandra Little

What a desolation.
Registered
Reaction score
If there's a more appropriate forum, please move my thread--I wasn't sure where to put this.

I'm hoping to get my Master's from the UK, and in all my research on getting a student visa it says that I may only work part time (unless during holidays) and I cannot be self-employed.

I've never contemplated how having a publishing contract would define my work status. So (presuming with all hope that I have a publishing contract when I go to the UK in a couple years) what does an author qualify as? I take it I wouldn't be self-employed because I would be contracted (or would I be self-employed?) but I hardly have an hourly wage where I can say "I work under 20 hours--I'm part time." If anyone knows anything or can point me to a specific place I would be extremely grateful.

Thankfully I have a semester and a summer to figure this out, but I hardly want to dismiss it as minor, get accepted to a university, and then get my visa revoked because of some complication (and, with my luck, it would happen).

So any help at all on these technicalities, thanks.

Willowmound

Lightly salted
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds impossible that you would get in trouble for that.

psykeout

should be writing instead...
Registered
Reaction score
I too doubt that you would have much issue. You're a contracted worker getting paid salary. They can't clock how much you're actually working per week.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Also you would not be working for a UK employer, which is what I think they would be concerned about.

Ms Hollands

Cow lover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lefrancophoney.com
It's worth looking into the rights of 'artists' in the UK: I recall they have special visa allowances on top of existing ones that at least let you stay in the country when no other suitable visa is available to you.

That aside, if no money enters your UK bank account and whoever is paying you gets bills with your home-country's address on it, there shouldn't be a problem as how would the government know about it? I'm not sure how legal this is though...

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Alexandra Little:
in all my research on getting a student visa it says that I may only work part time (unless during holidays) and I cannot be self-employed.

I'm neither an employment nor an immigration lawyer but my understanding is that this only applies if you're working part-time in the UK for a UK employer and the intention is to stop you from setting up a company/legal structure in the UK and employing yourself to try and get around immigration law.

Alexandra Little:
I've never contemplated how having a publishing contract would define my work status. So (presuming with all hope that I have a publishing contract when I go to the UK in a couple years) what does an author qualify as? I take it I wouldn't be self-employed because I would be contracted (or would I be self-employed?) but I hardly have an hourly wage where I can say "I work under 20 hours--I'm part time." If anyone knows anything or can point me to a specific place I would be extremely grateful.

A publishing contract is a contract for services and not a contract of service. There's a distinction in UK law that's long and boring to go into, but under the former you're not regarded as an employee, whereas you are regarded as an employee under the latter.

Presumably you're looking to be picked up by a US/Canadian publisher or have already been picked up by one (sorry - not sure where you're based at the moment or your publishing status), in which case it's not going to be an issue at all - UK immigration doesn't care about your work status/financial status back home (and in many ways the fact that you have money in your country of origin will reassure them that you're not planning to stay here and scrounge from our welfare system (their attitude, not mine!).

If you're looking to be picked up by a UK publisher/have been picked up by a UK publisher, then it's still going to be a contract for service with funds (presumably) going to your US/Canadian bank account, in which case it's not a problem either.

So basically, I wouldn't worry about it at this stage. When you get to the UK, your university should have an international students officer or office where you can raise any other concerns you might have (universities here like international students because you bring in a lot of money).

MM

Alexandra Little

What a desolation.
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, good--I didn't know what else to check on since I've never contemplated where I might count as a published author. And no I don't have a contract in hand, but I'm working on it.

Thanks, all.

Status
Not open for further replies.