The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 51 12345671126 ... LastLast

Thread: Examiner.com

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya inkkognito's Avatar

Examiner.com

I sorta thought there would be a thread for this already, but I searched and found nada. Anyone here write for Examiner.com? Skyraven, I think you do? Anyone else? Anyone care to share their experience and if it's worthwhile financially? I'm not looking to get rich from it, but I don't want to only make pennies. Any opinions would be most appreciated!

What happened to my LIFE?! Skyraven's Avatar
    Hi ink. I do work for them and for a while I was not too happy. I just got a paypal payment with incentives for last month. About $30 for my short articles. I keep them to about 400 words or less. I'm also not great at writing to increase marketing and that's a problem for me. I have an guide there for questions and he sends out several emails a week with ideas for boosting page views. Its all about the page views really.
    I've done well because I put up articles about twice a week and then get the word out here, on twitter and on plurk. I've also added links to the site with my blog addy's as well on my personal email so that people can check out my work.
    As a financial thing, I don't know. Examiner.com gets thousands of page views a day and some of the other examiners are very popular. I just started in late Oct. So I haven't had much time to build up my readership. Slow going for me.
    I've been thinking about sending an email out to friends and family every time I have a new article coming out. Maybe for 2009.
    Heiddi

On a Just Hit Send rampage!
    -----------------------------------------------

Hang out with me here:

The Freshman Writer
    My Portfolio
    NYParentExaminer
    Tweet Me! Plurk Me!

Hmmmm, sounds like something I might be able to link up with my blog and websites as they both get decent page views. If I can route some traffic, might make it worth while. I submitted for two categories and I missed their phone call this past week so I'll be taking to them soon and deciding which one I want to go for. Worth a shot anyway. Thanks for the input!

no problem. They do get a lot of exposure. I think you can get some traffic going. I'm starting out so it'll take me time to get things going. Glad to help.
    Heiddi

Hang out with me here:

The Freshman Writer
    My Portfolio
    NYParentExaminer
    Tweet Me! Plurk Me!

Just talked to them today on the phone and I'll be doing Orlando travel...woo hoo! That will be a good fit for my blog and one of my websites; I should be able to route some good traffic. My husband's part-time job ends Jan. 1, so I am looking for ways to fill some of that void. Even if this isn't a lot, every little bit helps.

Cool! I hope you like it! It sounds like a good fit for you since you do all the cruise stuff!
    Heiddi

Hang out with me here:

The Freshman Writer
    My Portfolio
    NYParentExaminer
    Tweet Me! Plurk Me!

Exactly! My castawayclub.com website gets really good traffic and I'm semi-known in the online Disney community so I'm hoping I can translate that into page views. Plus I'm a travel & theme park fanatic and love to write about those topics anyway, but I don't get to do that much for magazine markets. At worst it will be a therapeutic outlet : ) The other topic I considered was pets, but I thought travel would get better traffic.

I was quite surprised that they require a background check!

Never heard of this site. I'm going to check it out.
    - Leon's Writings

practical experience, FTW
    Barb, thanks for starting this thread! I hadn't heard about examiner.com until I saw it.

I sent in my app a week ago or so. Just wondering how long the process took from when you applied to when you were contacted and got the gig.

Congrats! Let us know how it goes.

Heidi (the one with only one 'd')

Hi Guys,

I'm the San Francisco Gardening Examiner at Examiner.com. I just got started there, but so far, I'm really enjoying it. I know a couple of other writers over there, as well. It's great exposure and helps build a platform if that's what you're looking for.

Thrill
    Last edited by Thrillride; 01-19-2009 at 12:42 PM.
    ~Thrill

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Composting (Alpha/Penguin) April 2010

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Heirloom Vegetables (Alpha/Penguin) December 2010

Hobby Farms: Small-Scale Rabbit Keeping
    (BowTie Press) 2011

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Small Space Gardening (Alpha) 2012

Vegetable Gardener.com
    A Suburban Farmer
    The Savvy Plant

Heidi, they actually took quite a while. I think they're in a growth spurt so they tend to get backed up. At first they responded quickly (I think it was with a phone call) to say they would be back in touch. Then it was probably at least a month before they touched base again. They do a phone interview, and you get good email support when they hire you. I'm really enjoying my experience with them. The money isn't huge, but I'm quickly building up a good readership so I think it will soon be on a par with my blog. I can knock the articles out really fast, so I'm really glad I signed up with them.

Thrill, that's awesome!

Barb, thanks for the info. I haven't gotten a call yet, unless they didn't even leave a message. I'm wondering because it says they will get in touch within 5 biz days and it's been 2 weeks now.

I'll hold tight, maybe check in a couple days to see what's up. Seems a lot of the sites are behind in responding lately.

Heidi

They did leave a message for me, so if you don't hear anything I would definitely follow up.

Whoo hoo! As of yesterday I'm the Tucson Pets Examiner! They don't even have a site for Tucson yet, but are going to house it in the Phoenix section. I'm so excited!

Thanks again Barb for your original post.

Heidi

practical experience, FTW cress8's Avatar
    searching the world over for Calvin and Hobbes
    Quote Originally Posted by HeidiW View Post
    They don't even have a site for Tucson yet, but are going to house it in the Phoenix section.
    I'm curious whether you suggested your location. They don't have a location near me, but frankly, I was surprised they didn't. There are plenty of larger towns near me. I wonder if I could propose something to them?

Congrats!
    Believing you can is everything.

My new blog: http://preventiveparenting.wordpress.com

Cress, it's possible I could ask my channel contact. What are the towns and how close are you? I can send him an email if you're like because I know they are doing a lot of recruiting generally now.

And big congrats Heidi!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cress8 View Post
    I'm curious whether you suggested your location. They don't have a location near me, but frankly, I was surprised they didn't. There are plenty of larger towns near me. I wonder if I could propose something to them?

Congrats!
    I originally sent them a message asking if they knew when they'd be opening the Tucson market, and got no response. So I went ahead and applied for a national position but also explained the Tucson roles I'd be interested in for when that opens. I guess they decided to just incorporate Tucson into Phoenix rather than not having it. So go for it!

Heidi

practical experience, FTW cress8's Avatar
    searching the world over for Calvin and Hobbes
    Quote Originally Posted by inkkognito View Post
    Cress, it's possible I could ask my channel contact. What are the towns and how close are you? I can send him an email if you're like because I know they are doing a lot of recruiting generally now.
    Thanks, Ink. I'll PM you.
    Believing you can is everything.

My new blog: http://preventiveparenting.wordpress.com

Heidi - Congratulations! Way to go on taking the initiative. Sometimes we can find opportunities by just asking for them.
    Heiddi

Hang out with me here:

The Freshman Writer
    My Portfolio
    NYParentExaminer
    Tweet Me! Plurk Me!

Thrill and Heidi, big huge congrats! I'm so happy for both of you!
    There's more to l
    iving than only surviving
    Maybe I'm not there, but I'm still trying

.................................................. ..........-- Dexter Holland

Just happy to be here caseyquinn's Avatar
    woohoo i just got my examiner site up and running! First post!

http://www.examiner.com/x-2683-Charl...ports-Examiner

Casey Quinn

My second poetry chapbook Prepare To Crash is now available from Big Table Publishing. Pick up a copy today !

Read some good short prose and poetry - Short Story Library

Woo hoo, looks great! It's so weird...it comes up as Orlando for me, even though your article is there. I guessed it's based on the cookies.

Yea i noticed that as well since i am in charlotte the header is always charlotte even if i go and read an article from another city - thanks for reading!

we should set up an examiner group help each other out as we all get started!
    Casey Quinn

My second poetry chapbook Prepare To Crash is now available from Big Table Publishing. Pick up a copy today !

Quote Originally Posted by caseyquinn View Post
    we should set up an examiner group help each other out as we all get started!
    That's a great idea! How do we do it?

I just got started too: http://www.examiner.com/x-2718-Tucson-Pets-Examiner.

Heidi

Good question perhaps form like a yahoo group and whenever you post send out a notice and everyone in the group goes to check it out, post comments, etc? or we create like an examiner thread like did update your blog today thread?
    Casey Quinn

Page 1 of 51 12345671126 ... LastLast