What is the best way to write action scenes in screenplays?

Ucla_sb

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen it written as paragraphs and as essentially bullet points of what happens. What is the best way for it to be written in a spec screenplay?

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
I've heard the screenplay for Raiders of the Lost Ark is supposed to be an awesome example of screenwriting. Since it's an action movie, could be worth a look. You can find it free on-line.

jonpiper

Registered
Reaction score
From writing and reading scripts, I've found that what I picture in my mind is not what the set director or director will put on film. So why spell out every move in an action sequence. In fact there is no way I could write in only 100 or so pages enough detail to completely specify the settings and action sequences I may have in mind for the movie.

At any rate, the reader isn't looking for detailed settings and choreography. The reader wants to get lost in the story, and they want to read it quickly. They want us to use as few words as possible to trigger their imagination, and a few critical words can create in their minds detailed settings and action sequences. We want them to see the story we have in our mind, not necessairly the exact settings or actions.

Easier said than done.:)

Ucla_sb

Registered
Reaction score
definitely, ive been checking out some of the links from earlier posts and found that i really like the style of bullet points of action, but it adds to much bulk to the screenplay. so ive gone back and just taken the whos fighting who or whats happening in relation to the geography im imagining (if relevant). Heres a quick example.

Paul lets out a primal yell and rushes toward Lewis. Sean tackles Paul to the ground. They roll punching and kicking into the hallway and down the flight of stairs.
INT. apartment BUILDING Hallway/stairwell - morning

Paul and Sean are broken up by the tumble and Lee attempts to quash it by stepping between them. Paul begins his assault again, pushing them all through the stairwell door. They all begin to fall/stumble down the stairs, pausing to fight on the landing and then another push sends them down flight after flight of stairs. Lewis follows quickly down the stairs.

INT. APARTMENT BUILDING lobby - morning

The stairwell door is slams open as Sean and Paul fight into the lobby. Sean and Paul struggle to their feet and Sean slams Paul into the door. Paul doesn't fight back now. Sean notices that Lewis and Lee have stepped away from both of them and are drawing weapons.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Not bad, tho' I felt some dialogue might break it up, just punchy one-liners like, "Quit it, you guys!" and, "Break it up!" Which might not fit, I'm not sure if this is teens brawling or drug dealers fighting to the death.

Does Paul stop fighting back because he's semi-conscious and hardly able to stand?

What kind of weapons? Can't Sean see?

Just asking, did you read the Indiana Jones scripts as suggested?

http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Indiana-Jones-and-the-Raiders-of-the-Lost-Ark.html
http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Indiana-Jones-and-the-Temple-of-Doom.html
http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Indiana-Jones-and-the-Last-Crusade.html

-Derek

Ucla_sb

Registered
Reaction score
This scene occurs towards the end and ive already described each of their weapon that they carry, the reason he stop is because they are now surrounded by what they are supposed to be fighting rather than each other lol. I figured it would be redundant to describe pulling out the .45 for the 3rd time but i am new to this so if i should keep describing the weapons let me know.

I did read the raiders script, made me realize that you need to have the beats there but dont need word diarrhea describing it blow by blow

odocoileus

Registered
Reaction score
Gervich on writing fight scenes:

http://blog.writersdigest.com/scriptnotes/READER+QUESTION+How+Do+I+Write+Fight+Scenes.aspx

It is essential that a well-written fight scene capture the speed, violence, motion, pacing, and energy of the fight itself. I’ve read scripts where the stage directions of fight scenes are stark and straightforward, like this…

Roger levels his knife at Ned’s throat.

ROGER
You son of a bitch…

He lunges. Ned blocks. Roger stabs again. Ned ducks… Roger fakes to the left… then grab’s Ned’s arm and hurls him into the icy water.

hubbabubbs

Registered
Reaction score
try breaking it down into little chucks of action rather than one long shot

from The Island
-THUD- LINCOLN HAMMERS HIS FIST into the pale man as he turns -
dropping him, flat-on-his-ass - pulling Ester away from him -

DIGGS JERKS OUT THE RAINMAKER - quick to his feet - more insulted
than hurt - targeting his quarry - who suddenly duck down as--

-BOOM- DIGGS FIRES - A WOMAN SCREAMS - the Mexican woman - her
face, peppered with tranquilizer core - her baby starts crying--

ESTER FROZEN - horrified by the screaming woman - the bloody,