(Yet Another) Newbie

Corpus Thomisticum

Life Stares Back at Me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tomekjankowski.com
Greetings,

I am very happy to have found this site. I've been a sort of mercenary for years writing as a business analyst and have a pile of huge and incredibly boring reports in my past, but have recently decided to take a stab at making it as a writer in my own regard. Still have the day job -- got a mortgage to pay -- but would like to see if I can make a living as a writer.

One project is already complete and in the hands of an eager agent, though I'm not sure we're a good fit, but in the meantime I'm working on a second, lighter fiction project and this is really challenging my abilities so I figure I should rub elbows with folks who know what the hell they're doing and see if I can learn anything.

Hello to all! Does this place have restrooms?

Danni

Shoehorn.
Registered
Reaction score
Halloo!!! I did it, I did it, I did it! I'M THE FIRST POSTER!!!! JVC, if you move this one on me, I'm beaning you with a brownie. Now, down to business. Ahem. WELCOME! I'm especially glad you're here, since I get to be the first on this welcome wagon. Come on in, pull up a chair, and have a brownie. Congrats on finishing your first novel, well done! Good luck with the agent, and the bathrooms are down the hall on the left.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW.

We have restrooms . . . but we don't give the key to newbies. We like to see them squirm. ;-)

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome and enjoy AW. Have you checked the agent in the forum for detecting probelm publishers and agents? Just a precaution. But otherwise feel at home.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
greetings and :welcome:

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, CT!

Corpus Thomisticum

Life Stares Back at Me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tomekjankowski.com
Thanks again all for the welcomes.

@Mumut: I took your advice and checked out the agent threads -- thanks -- and luckily did not find my agent there. His honesty and integrity are not in doubt, just his availability and priorities. He's a semi-retired professor from a prominent ivy league university and an eminent scholar in his own right, with a heap of books to his credit, at least some of which are probably used in courses at places like Harvard, Yale, etc. The problem for me is that though semi-retired, he's still quite busy and often difficult to reach, and I get the sense my book is competing with a dozen of his own personal projects for his time. I've looked around and his fees seem fairly standard, and I was at first very flattered that such an eminent scholar took interest in me -- he latched on to my book very enthusiastically -- but I worry he's just too busy to get the job done for me, at least in a timely manner. On the other hand, he's been through this process before (and I haven't), and the economy certainly isn't optimal so perhaps he's stalling on purpose. If that is the case, I wish he would communicate as much though....

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings,

I am very happy to have found this site. I've been a sort of mercenary for years writing as a business analyst and have a pile of huge and incredibly boring reports in my past, but have recently decided to take a stab at making it as a writer in my own regard. Still have the day job -- got a mortgage to pay -- but would like to see if I can make a living as a writer.

One project is already complete and in the hands of an eager agent, though I'm not sure we're a good fit, but in the meantime I'm working on a second, lighter fiction project and this is really challenging my abilities so I figure I should rub elbows with folks who know what the hell they're doing and see if I can learn anything.

Hello to all! Does this place have restrooms?

Greetings Corpus and welcome to the watercooler
Emotewelcome.gif

The restrooms are around here somewhere. There can be a queue, so brace yourself. You've come to the right place to get some help with your novel. The site is packed full of information and great advice. It can be hard to navigate sometimes though. If you needed some feedback, which is always helpful, on your novel, you could try posting some in our Share Your Work forum (the password is vista). The critiques can be harsh sometimes, so prepare yourself for that. Everyone means well, though. Their goal is to get you the best novel possible and to get it published. Also, it does help to bring them cookies
biggrin.gif
. Also, you could critique some of the other members' work too. It is surprising how that can help with you own.

Something that can sometimes let a writer down, when they have a great novel that is well written and plotted, is the query letter and synopsis. You could try posting yours in the Query Letters & Synopses part of the Share Your Work Forum (password is vista) to get some feedback on that. Ya never know, it may help.

In your search for agents to represent you and your novel, I would recommend two sites: www.agentquery.com and also www.querytracker.net

Also check out the Ask the Agent forum for help with agents and such. We have Nathan Bransford, who is our resident agent, and Jennifer Laughran as a guest agent answering agent related questions at the moment.

If you haven't stopped by the terrific Newbie Question of the Day thread yet, then don't forget to pop in and have a go at answering a few of the really easy questions (the link is in the sig line below). There are easy. Yep, they are. And it's so much fun.

Oh, and do you like double choc-chip cookies? Of ocurse you do. You'd have to be like ... weird if you didn't
biggrin.gif
. You do like them, right? Say you do, for no other reason in that it will annoy Danni
biggrin.gif

Halloo!!! I did it, I did it, I did it! I'M THE FIRST POSTER!!!! JVC, if you move this one on me, I'm beaning you with a brownie. Now, down to business. Ahem. WELCOME! I'm especially glad you're here, since I get to be the first on this welcome wagon. Come on in, pull up a chair, and have a brownie. Congrats on finishing your first novel, well done! Good luck with the agent, and the bathrooms are down the hall on the left.
I was so tempted to move your post or delete it. So very tempted. But I'm being a good dragon today :D .

Thanks again all for the welcomes.

@Mumut: I took your advice and checked out the agent threads -- thanks -- and luckily did not find my agent there. His honesty and integrity are not in doubt, just his availability and priorities. He's a semi-retired professor from a prominent ivy league university and an eminent scholar in his own right, with a heap of books to his credit, at least some of which are probably used in courses at places like Harvard, Yale, etc. The problem for me is that though semi-retired, he's still quite busy and often difficult to reach, and I get the sense my book is competing with a dozen of his own personal projects for his time. I've looked around and his fees seem fairly standard, and I was at first very flattered that such an eminent scholar took interest in me -- he latched on to my book very enthusiastically -- but I worry he's just too busy to get the job done for me, at least in a timely manner. On the other hand, he's been through this process before (and I haven't), and the economy certainly isn't optimal so perhaps he's stalling on purpose. If that is the case, I wish he would communicate as much though....
I see here you mention fees. Something to always remember is that money flows to the author. You should never have to pay money to an agent or publisher up front. None. Nada. Never pay a fee to an agent. They make their money once the book is sold and not before. Check out the Bewares and Background Check forum to see if any agent is listed there. It's a search that can save you a lot of time, stress and money in the future.

Danni

Shoehorn.
Registered
Reaction score
Oooohhhh, Jed, you would have been in SO much trouble. My great accomplishment in life, and you almost snatched it away from me. You should be very thankful that you were being good today. Very thankful.
And, for the record, I have nothing against chocolate chip cookies, it's just that it's ridiculous to choose them over a brownie. I mean, really!!! :D

Corpus Thomisticum

Life Stares Back at Me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tomekjankowski.com
jvc,

Thanks for the heads up. All helpful information, and I intend to use these boards to the fullest benefit. Also very able to bribe any potential critics with cookies, as the wife has a business making cookies and confections from her home region, which tend to sell out each time she batches up. These in particular are popular, called orzeszki ("walnut") cookies, though that's only because of the shape: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...=&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=4&ct=image&cd=1

Thanks particularly for the agent sites; I am going to let my current one continue for a bit longer but if I don't start seeing any improvement soon, I'll be needing another. I don't pay any fees up front, only about 15% when published, which research has shown me is fairly standard.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Also very able to bribe any potential critics with cookies, as the wife has a business making cookies and confections from her home region, which tend to sell out each time she batches up. These in particular are popular, called orzeszki ("walnut") cookies, though that's only because of the shape:
You know you've just become my new best friend, right? :D

Mmm, cookies.

Teleute

Skeptic
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, corpus!

I'm in accounting, I get what you mean about boring day jobs. :D

Corpus Thomisticum

Life Stares Back at Me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tomekjankowski.com
@jvc Cookies I've got, in great abundance. My kitchen right now is overflowing with home-made peanut brittle, biscotti and doughy candy cane (look alike) cookies. Whatcha want?

@Teleute: I'm not an accountant but I've had to spend lots of time crawling through GAAP manuals while describing the impact of Sarbannes-Oxley on everything from SG&A management to strategic implications of various tax scenarios. My head hurt for days afterwards.

Teleute

Skeptic
Registered
Reaction score
@Teleute: I'm not an accountant but I've had to spend lots of time crawling through GAAP manuals while describing the impact of Sarbannes-Oxley on everything from SG&A management to strategic implications of various tax scenarios. My head hurt for days afterwards.

Bwahaha, I'm sorry; reading GAAP manuals makes my head hurt, too. Accountants are not known for their writing skillz, so to speak. I'm the only accounting person I know with an English background. I used to furiously copy edit my textbooks while I studied in undergrad.

So do you or did you work in information systems? How does one get their start in business writing? I know it's not tons o' fun, but I think I'm better suited for it than auditing.

Last edited:

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
@jvc Cookies I've got, in great abundance. My kitchen right now is overflowing with home-made peanut brittle, biscotti and doughy candy cane (look alike) cookies. Whatcha want?
Do I have to choose? I'd like them all and in vast quantities too :D . In fact any type of cookie so long as they don't contain oranges, cause oranges are horrible.

C.H. Valentino

Wording!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chvalentino.com
Hello. Welcome and all that.

HEY! JVC!!! How come you always post the same Newbie message. No originally, no uniqueness to the esteemed new member who would look to you for support, guidance and reassurance in their soon desperate and lonely journey thru these forum.

A fraud! A stinking fraud I tell you!!

All right- I'm done. Just....needed to....you know....get that out.

Danni

Shoehorn.
Registered
Reaction score
:roll: Oh, I like this chic. Way to go, C H!!! You tell that lazy old dragon what's on your mind! Don't hold anything back! :wag::whip::e2salute::e2tongue::hooray::e2headban

Corpus Thomisticum

Life Stares Back at Me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tomekjankowski.com
Bwahaha, I'm sorry; reading GAAP manuals makes my head hurt, too. Accountants are not known for their writing skillz, so to speak. I'm the only accounting person I know with an English background. I used to furiously copy edit my textbooks while I studied in undergrad.

So do you or did you work in information systems? How does one get their start in business writing? I know it's not tons o' fun, but I think I'm better suited for it than auditing.

It's a sordid tale indeed. I have an academic background in history but there were no jobs, so, fool that I was, I talked my way into a research position, first in the financial markets and then about 4 years ago I switched into a research outfit that specializes in the consulting market. History training = research, analytical, project management, and writing skills. At one company I got promoted pretty quickly and for some reason I ended up with a title that sounded like I was in IT, but I wasn't. To this day, years (and companies) later, I still get IT-related junk mail and spam that follows me, still using that old title. The closest I came to actually working in IT was for a CRM project, but I worked with our IT department and definitely left the technical details up to them.

Do I have to choose? I'd like them all and in vast quantities too :D . In fact any type of cookie so long as they don't contain oranges, cause oranges are horrible.

Load up. I can assure you our cookies are orange-free.