Designing the home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woven

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone ever run across a website where you can create a quick sketch of a home? I'm a horrible artist! I'm trying to map out the home of my character. I tried to freehand it but it's so bad! I need a floor lay out.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are hundreds and hundreds of floor plans on the Internet. Wouldn't one of those do?

Woven

Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, no. The story is complete and I'm editing. I'm going about this a bit backwards. I've always pictured it being the house my aunt and uncle had when I was a kid. It's come to a point where I really need a visual.

I'm trying to find their old address and see if I can find the actual floor plan. But it would still be cool to have this tool I'm looking for.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How complex of a floor plan is it? I'm asking for a reason.

Woven

Registered
Reaction score
Eh...I don't know. How to describe?

There's a family room with a sliding door out the pool. (That's the most important part) There's a bar that separates the kitchen from the family room where's there's a fire place. There a hallway off the kitchen down which is a bathroom that also leads outside (for easy access from the pool).

I don't know how to explain it without a lot of words. ;)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just happen to work for an engineering firm, with access to professional design software (the ones they really use to design skyscrapers and dams and such).

If you can't find what you need online, and if you have a rough sketch (rough dimensions on it would help), then I'll take it and turn it into a professional presentation floor plan. It would probably take me 15 minutes.

Woven

Registered
Reaction score
I just happen to work for an engineering firm, with access to professional design software (the ones they really use to design skyscrapers and dams and such).

If you can't find what you need online, and if you have a rough sketch (rough dimensions on it would help), then I'll take it and turn it into a professional presentation floor plan. It would probably take me 15 minutes.

I can't tell you what an awesome suggestion that is and how much I appreciate it. Unfortunately, I would have no idea where to begin. Visualization is not at all my strong point. I don't know how to tell you what I need simply.

caseyquinn

Just happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shortstory.us.com
Its not freeware but if you have Microsoft Visio i think you would be able to do it there. I have laid out many floor plans using it when doing some work at my own house

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Sweet home 3D is a good program (CaoPaux has the link above ^^). It's pretty easy to use, and it comes with some furniture and other household shapes to stock the house with.

I used it to prove to Hubby that *his* idea for the room layout wouldn't work... in less than 15 minutes, I won... I mean, I had a room all drawn up with approximate furnishings.

The coolest part about the program is that you can change the viewpoint (overhead, slanted, etc) and rotate around the room any which way. It's a good program. And... the price is right.

Woven

Registered
Reaction score
Cool! I got my house. Thanks very much! That was fun, but I seem to have neglected my family. ;) Time to go feed the little ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.