• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Stringer Literary Agency, LLC (Marlene Stringer)

RunTheWorld

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Honestly, it was a little off putting for me. I felt like even I wasn't being given the time to decide if I thought we were a good fit.
I mean this is my career and she's pressuring me to pull the trigger in 2 days?
I felt like I had the right to hear what the other agents would have to say.

All the other agents responded saying this wasn't standard, one going to far as to warn me to be careful.
I don't know. I guess I still think no agent is better than a bad agent.

josephperin

Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to drop a note to say I found her a very nice person.

I'd sent her a full MS a couple of days back. She emailed me back saying it was a bit too literary for her taste. I, in my very inept way, thanked her by saying while I would've preferred it if she liked it enough to represent it, I'm tickled she thinks it's on the literary side. I always thought of myself as purely pulp.

Of course, it was meant as gratitude for saying that, but I guess it could be taken as snark. As soon as I hit "send," I started worrying about it.

Marlene sent a nice note back telling me not to think she didn't like it. Just that (paraphrasing) the editors she works with might not be interested in that sort of story. She actually gave me the names of a couple of agents to approach.

It was incredibly nice of her. And when I have another attack of insecurity about my writing, I'm going to remind myself of the email. Someone liked my writing.

If anyone is thinking of querying her, go for it. Efficient, ethical, and nice. Just what I'd want in an agent.

Last edited:

Mixwriter

Registered
Reaction score
This is a big beware for this agent now that she's come up in my twitter feed a few times in the last few weeks and in conversations at conferences:

When she offers rep, she requires 2-4 DAYS response time instead of the standard 2 weeks. This happened to me personally when she offered representation. Firstly it's unprofessional. Secondly, it's just not enough time to make a considered choice, to allow other agents to respond, or to be respectful of an author's time. Thirdly it's a predatory practice that is in no way defensible.

When you do sign with her, please be aware that unless you sell immediately you will have 2 weeks to several months response time from her going forward. Sure she's fast with query responses, but. . . don't expect it to last.

Additionally, as others have pointed out in other places, Stringer Lit doesn't currently represent BiPOC/queer/minority authors.

Bunch of red flags from this agency and I just needed to get this off my chest. Hopefully, others will steer wide and clear.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge, Mixwriter.

Mevrouw Bee

Registered
Reaction score
This is a big beware for this agent now that she's come up in my twitter feed a few times in the last few weeks and in conversations at conferences:

When she offers rep, she requires 2-4 DAYS response time instead of the standard 2 weeks. This happened to me personally when she offered representation. Firstly it's unprofessional. Secondly, it's just not enough time to make a considered choice, to allow other agents to respond, or to be respectful of an author's time. Thirdly it's a predatory practice that is in no way defensible.

When you do sign with her, please be aware that unless you sell immediately you will have 2 weeks to several months response time from her going forward. Sure she's fast with query responses, but. . . don't expect it to last.

Additionally, as others have pointed out in other places, Stringer Lit doesn't currently represent BiPOC/queer/minority authors.

Bunch of red flags from this agency and I just needed to get this off my chest. Hopefully, others will steer wide and clear.
Yikes on bikes I'm glad she form rejected me!

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the update that she still expects an answer in short order, but I have questions.
Is this her in your Twitter feed/speaking at conferences or people talking about her on Twitter and at conferences? I've been the grist in the rumor mill many times, and nothing flattering ever gets around.
My understanding (based on a friend's experience, not my own, sadly) is that a response is expected at the time they offer representation, but if another agent is looking at your full you can request one or two weeks. Did another agent have a full and you needed more time? My understanding (based on my experience) is that one is supposed to thoroughly vet an agent prior to submitting. Why would I query an agent I don't want to work with?
I've heard this is pretty normal...so you are an active client of hers now, or is this other people?
While a lot of agents will say that they welcome [group] to submit, or they're only taking submissions from [group] at this time (because there's a lot of ground to make up in the industry), just because this agency doesn't say that on their site (her site does not, I looked) doesn't mean that they won't. Authors don't have to out themselves to agents if they don't want to. Has anyone checked Publisher's Marketplace to see who current clients are?
I'm sorry for coming across as argumentative, but the line between your personal experience and what was heard/seen on social media/places is a little blurry. Reading back in the thread slightly (10 years), there are some great reviews from active members and the bad ones seems to come from people who are...not. And I have to be honest, her wanting a quick response or being cranky about someone offering her another agent's R&R don't seem particularly egregious to me.

Eons ago, before Twitter hit the Musk iceberg and I fled that sinking ship, I saw horrible advice there like, "get an offer from an agent and then leverage it to get more offers!" Believe it or not, Twitter has had a huge impact on how agents operate.

If you have the time and wouldn't mind clarifying which are your personal experiences and which are not, I would greatly appreciate it. Ms. Stringer is on my list for my next batch of queries. If you'd rather not, that's fine too, and thank you for providing an update.

Mevrouw Bee

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the update that she still expects an answer in short order, but I have questions.

Is this her in your Twitter feed/speaking at conferences or people talking about her on Twitter and at conferences? I've been the grist in the rumor mill many times, and nothing flattering ever gets around.

My understanding (based on a friend's experience, not my own, sadly) is that a response is expected at the time they offer representation, but if another agent is looking at your full you can request one or two weeks. Did another agent have a full and you needed more time? My understanding (based on my experience) is that one is supposed to thoroughly vet an agent prior to submitting. Why would I query an agent I don't want to work with?

I've heard this is pretty normal...so you are an active client of hers now, or is this other people?

While a lot of agents will say that they welcome [group] to submit, or they're only taking submissions from [group] at this time (because there's a lot of ground to make up in the industry), just because this agency doesn't say that on their site (her site does not, I looked) doesn't mean that they won't. Authors don't have to out themselves to agents if they don't want to. Has anyone checked Publisher's Marketplace to see who current clients are?

I'm sorry for coming across as argumentative, but the line between your personal experience and what was heard/seen on social media/places is a little blurry. Reading back in the thread slightly (10 years), there are some great reviews from active members and the bad ones seems to come from people who are...not. And I have to be honest, her wanting a quick response or being cranky about someone offering her another agent's R&R don't seem particularly egregious to me.

Eons ago, before Twitter hit the Musk iceberg and I fled that sinking ship, I saw horrible advice there like, "get an offer from an agent and then leverage it to get more offers!" Believe it or not, Twitter has had a huge impact on how agents operate.

If you have the time and wouldn't mind clarifying which are your personal experiences and which are not, I would greatly appreciate it. Ms. Stringer is on my list for my next batch of queries. If you'd rather not, that's fine too, and thank you for providing an update.
No, Brigit...It's considered good business practice now to give other agents considering your submission 14 days. Some day just the fulls...other say queries too. You stop querying, of course, but an agent should not pressure you into accepting immediately. That IS a red flag.

The rest? That can be argued. Although I haven't seen any Twitter kerfuffle regarding her specifically. And I usually notice the kerfuffle...

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, Brigit
Please, call me Brigid. :ROFLMAO:
...It's considered good business practice now to give other agents considering your submission 14 days. Some day just the fulls...other say queries too. You stop querying, of course, but an agent should not pressure you into accepting immediately. That IS a red flag.
To me it was unclear if there was another agent reviewing the MS. That was one of my questions because yes, if another agent has your full, notifying them that you have an offer on the table and giving them up to two weeks (one, at minimum) is the expected courtesy.

If you have just a query out to other agents they do want to know if you have an offer on the table, but I don't think the same length of time applies unless they respond and ask for time to read it. Just a query is a little fuzzier, but personally an offer on the table is worth more than a maybe that will probably be a pass. In these days of CNRs, which agents are you notifying even?

I perceive the two-day thing as more arrogant than predatory, but just like with any other profession, once you reach a certain level of success you can afford to be arrogant.
The rest? That can be argued. Although I haven't seen any Twitter kerfuffle regarding her specifically. And I usually notice the kerfuffle...
Usually agent kerfuffles get blown up and shared in writing circles, the was one a week or so ago even. I am just hesitating to hang my hat on the information as presented and hope to get some clarification.

Reactions: Mevrouw Bee

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
If I've learned one thing, it's that practices that are deal-breakers for some are just fine for others. A 2-4 day deadline would bug me if I had other reservations, but if I'd otherwise found her professional and compelling, I'd probably roll with it.

But that's just me, and the opposite perspective is also completely legitimate. This is an important relationship, and communication issues (including timing) are a big part of doing business with an agent. You want to be in agreement on things like this.

The report of increasing time lags around communication is a bigger flag for me, although I suspect it's not uncommon. The diversity issue also gives me pause, although it's certainly a widespread problem.

Mevrouw Bee

Registered
Reaction score
Please, call me Brigid. :ROFLMAO:

To me it was unclear if there was another agent reviewing the MS. That was one of my questions because yes, if another agent has your full, notifying them that you have an offer on the table and giving them up to two weeks (one, at minimum) is the expected courtesy.

If you have just a query out to other agents they do want to know if you have an offer on the table, but I don't think the same length of time applies unless they respond and ask for time to read it. Just a query is a little fuzzier, but personally an offer on the table is worth more than a maybe that will probably be a pass. In these days of CNRs, which agents are you notifying even?

I perceive the two-day thing as more arrogant than predatory, but just like with any other profession, once you reach a certain level of success you can afford to be arrogant.

Usually agent kerfuffles get blown up and shared in writing circles, the was one a week or so ago even. I am just hesitating to hang my hat on the information as presented and hope to get some clarification.
Sorry about the name thing! *blush*

It's weird...I'm increasingly seeing websites say "Please let us know if you have an offer" regardless if you gave them a full or not. More so on UK agency sites. I would never notify those I've CNRd if they've had strict timeline limits for responding. But if they don't specify...sorry, I'm going to jam your inbox up more! Maybe take a hint and give us some bloody guidelines already?

Turtle2023

Registered
Reaction score
It's weird...I'm increasingly seeing websites say "Please let us know if you have an offer" regardless if you gave them a full or not.

Yes, most agents I follow on Twitter say they want to hear about offers even if they haven't requested a full. So I think two weeks time to decide is reasonable if you have any queries out, regardless of whether you have fulls out.

What puzzles me more are the agents who ask to be notified just for a full request! I've only seen a few ask for that, though.