Parents of 'American Taliban' ask Bush to free him

Bush should:

• Set him free.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Reduce his sentence.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Nothing. Let him serve the sentence based on the deal he agreed to.

Votes: 42 95.5%

• Total voters

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - The parents of American-born Taliban fighter John Walker Lindh are asking President George W. Bush to set their son free before Bush leaves office next month.

Lindh was sentenced to 20 years in prison after pleading guilty in 2002 to serving in the Taliban army, which violated U.S. economic sanctions against Afghanistan at that time.

At a news conference in San Francisco Wednesday, Lindh's mother, Marilyn Walker, asked the president to show mercy during the Christmas season by commuting her son's sentence.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D954LH182&show_article=1

he's serving the sentence he agreed to. let him rot.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
http://www.usdoj.gov/ag/criminalcomplaint1.htm

As you can see from this complaint, he chose the route of violence (as opposed to education) on more than one occasion, and he also knew that his actions directly aided an organization that desired to and then succeeded in murdering thousands of American civilians. 20 years was a fucking blessing.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
I'm weeping over the injustice of it all, just blubbering and sobbing for his hardship.

Prison is too good for him. I thought he should have been hung for his high treason, and I still do. Hang the bastard.

Andrew

Most of the rules gotta go...
Registered
Reaction score
If he had try to warn Mike Spann then maybe... He has his Quran, he has plenty of time to pray to Allah and a prayer rug on which to kneel and kiss, he has a compatible diet with the faith and he has severly limited temptations from women. Seems he has this kind of Muslim's ideal set up, RugcRat.
Executing him would have been a mistake but allowing him to honor his contract is fair.
Are we not to be responsible for our decisions?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Ah yes. The let him rot crowd.

He deserved punishment. He was a stupid kid. 20 years is too harsh.

Here's a non-conservative take on it:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/benchconference/2007/04/why_john_walker_lindh_should_b.html

unfortunately, your "non-conservative take on it" tap dances around a central point:

And contrary to what some of you might believe, he never had anything to do with the death of CIA agent John Michael Spann. (Note to commenters on this: Lindh was wounded and lying in the basement of the prison at Mazir E Sharif when Spann was killed-- above ground-- and no evidence has ever been produced, publicly anyway, to suggest that he was part of a conspiracy to kill the CIA agent or that he even knew about the plot beforehand).

this is hardly the categorical, slam-dunk truth that the article suggests, and is contradicted by robert young pelton's observations, based on up close and coverage of lindh for, among others, CNN. here is his take:

Terrified and outnumbered by the false surrender, the Afghan guards—there were only about 100 guards for the 460 prisoners—pushed the killers down into the basement of a fortified schoolhouse until they could be searched in the morning.

That night, in the cramped five-room basement, there was an angry and desperate argument among the prisoners. The Saudis and Uzbeks planned an attack; they just needed a diversion to get to the weapons stored a few yards from the pink schoolhouse. The Pakistanis wanted to just surrender and go home. According to the survivors I interviewed, Lindh was an Arabic-speaking al Qaeda member and had full knowledge of this discussion, and he has yet to admit which path he was going to choose. Some insist that Lindh was among the main proponents of this violent action. I was not in that basement, so I don’t know what happened. What I do know is that Lindh’s actions the next day would provide the damning answer.

The next morning two CIA officers went to Qali Jangi to interview the prisoners. Mike Spann and Dave Tyson arrived in separate vehicles. Tyson spoke a number of languages but Spann only spoke English. The prisoners were brought up one at a time. They were searched, bound with their turbans and then marched into lines inside the southern courtyard. Spann walked up and down the lines of prisoners. He asked an Iraqi mechanic who spoke English if there were any other prisoners who spoke English. The Iraqi pointed out the “Irishman.” Lindh had been told to say he was Irish in the camps to avoid problems. Spann had Lindh brought over away from the main group and put out a blanket for him. Spann and Tyson tried to talk to Lindh. Mike even calls him “Irish.” Away from his peers Lindh, just stares down. Mike pleads with Lindh to talk. Lindh remains hostile and silent.

Spann and Tyson play a clumsy game of “good cop, bad cop.” But one thing is clear: they offer Lindh a way out. Lindh is alone with two of his fellow countrymen with full knowledge of the violence that is about to happen. He says nothing. If there was ever one moment that will define one man and damn another, this was it. Lindh is put back into the lineup and Mike Spann will die in the next few minutes as Uzbeks rush up from the basement, yelling Allahhuakbar and detonate hidden grenades. The fighting begins. Lindh has once again has been given a clear choice between right and wrong and once again. He makes that clear choice again.

http://www.kathryncramer.com/kathryn_cramer/2006/01/the_truth_about.html

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/benchconference/2007/04/why_john_walker_lindh_should_b.html

Why does this have to be a conservative take on it, rugcat? You know, just because someone believes that a traitor to his own country who actively, willingly and happily worked for and with an organization whose avowed purpose was to cause harm to the country of his birth thinks he should serve out his sentence doesn't make them a conservative. This sort of crime was a shooting offense at one time, and not that long ago. Remember the Rosenburgs?

Come on already with the conservative hangup. The kid's a traitor who got busted. You don't have to vote straight down the GOP ticket to be less than sympathetic towards his 'stupid kid' act. Hanging other people's opinions on the conservative coat rack like this is a rash generalization and patently unfair.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Why does this have to be a conservative take on it, rugcat?
Because I couldn't help but note that the immediate replies to the OP, which basically said, "hang the bastard," were from the more conservative members of our forum. (Yourself excepted, because of course, you're not a self identified conservative)

And being a stupid 20 yr old who bought into a cult-like religious group like the taliban is not a defense. But neither is he the evil monster he's made out to be. Punishment is appropriate. But he's already served seven years. I think twenty years is an overly harsh sentence, that's all. I'm quite aware, as has been suggested by others, that many think he should have been hanged. I'm just not quite so bloodthirsty.

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
Uh, it could be the result of traditional patriotism as well. Treason punishable by death and all that. He got off easy considering that. When he gets out he can join Ayres in the pantheon for the more forgiving.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Because I couldn't help but note that the immediate replies to the OP, which basically said, "hang the bastard," were from the more conservative members of our forum. (Yourself excepted, because of course, you're not a self identified conservative)
I said no such thing. I wanted to send him a fruitcake. And maybe share an espresso...

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
in my defense, i never mentioned hanging him either. i just said to let him rot for the rest of his sentence which does not provide for parole, but can be reduced by three years for good behavior. so, yeah, another ten years.

fuck him.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
I just lost the whole long post I had in response to you, RC.

Calling me bloodthirsty while you defend Lindh really pisses me off.

Lindh is the bloodthirsty bastard who traveled halfway around the world to join the Taliban, knowing full-well in advance of the bloodbath they were perpetrating onto the Afghan people. He knew. He is the evil bastard that you say he isn't.

He joined them as they murdered women in soccer stadiums for fun. He stayed with them when the US went to war there. He committed treason by taking up arms against the US and US allies in that war. Who knows how many people he killed? We do know he, at the very least, contributed to the death of Spann.

The sentence was far too light. He got mercy he did not deserve.

He should have been hung for taking up arms against the USA. That he wasn't hung for contributing to the death of Spann is an outrage.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com

Look RC, I'm not anywhere even close to conservative, not even about national defense. John Walker Lindh chose to leave the United States, he chose the pursuit of militant jihadism, he sent his mom a fricking e-mail justifying the bombing of the USS Cole, he chose to join the Talliban and fight because it was the only "real" Islamic state (never mind the mutilating and killing of women), and he chose to join the ranks of Al-Qaeda, where he learned about the upcoming attacks on U.S. soil and made no attempt to warn anybody, and there's very compelling evidence that he took an active role in the prisoner revolt that cost Mike Spann his life, and he at least witnessed one of his pals shoot an elderly Red Cross worker, which (of course) Walker doesn't think to mention when he's questioned.

I have no doubt in my mind that if John Walker Lindh had escaped capture, he'd be skulking back and forth between Waziristan and the poppy fields of Afghanistan, terrorizing villagers and burning girls' schools. Fuck him.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not anywhere even close to conservative

This is not a conservative/liberal issue at any stretch.

It's a treason issue, and there is no doubt he committed treason at least twice, and once for a duration of time, not an instance of 'youthful exuberance'.