Screenwriting Competitions, Opportunities & Announcements

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Hi Hobbledehoy,

We have a general etiquitte here at Absolute Write where if you want to post a sample of your work, it's preferred that such a posting be done in the Absolute Write sub-forum called "Share Your Work."

An additional etiquette is that a lot of posters generally don't want to click into a link that will bring them to an unknown web site.

If you post a portion of your script at the SYW sub-forum, you WILL get feedback. And if it's a kick-ass enough sample, maybe a few brave souls will go ahead and click into your web site to read the rest. But it still starts at SYW.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
An auto-playing Jimi Hendrix video plus pop-up ads slowing my browser so much I couldn't even read the text behind them, simply marvellous.

-Derek

Hobbledehoy

Cheeks like a Twelve Y/O Boy
Registered
Reaction score
An auto-playing Jimi Hendrix video plus pop-up ads slowing my browser so much I couldn't even read the text behind them, simply marvellous.

-Derek

yeah, i designed it using firefox and some code got stuck when copied from last project. that video didnt show in firefox and now im fixing it for IE.

Plus, you can delete however many of my posts you want. I'll do it right next time ;)

Script a Wish

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scriptawish.com
Ask a former development exec and current pro screenwriter any question you want

Heya guys,

I'm posting this at a few different places, as I think a lot of folks will be interested in this. In a week or two, I'm going to be interviewing Michael S. Palmer for my blog (it's at scriptawish.com). Palmer is a young writer whose spec script ALTITUDE netted him representation, which then led to him getting a meeting with FOX to pitch his take on HITMAN 2. FOX loved the pitch and hired him for the gig, thus getting him his first studio writing assignment.

Interestingly, though, he's not just a screenwriter: He was a development executive on the Sony Pictures Studio Lot when he was hired for the HITMAN 2 job, and left that side of the industry to pursue his writing full-time.

The reason I'm telling you this is, I'd love to be able to present him with questions from you guys on the boards.

This is a really unique opportunity to ask questions of someone who not only is just starting off his screenwriting career, but who also has seen both sides of the business. So just respond with questions here, I'll pick the best ones, and I'll let you guys know when the interview goes up!

hunnypot

Registered
Reaction score
British Short Screenplay Competition and British Feature Screenplay Competition
www.kaosfilms.co.uk

BSSC: early deadline March 20th
BFSC: coming soon
Please note that deadline are different every year.

BSSC Prize:
The winner of The British Short Screenplay Competition will have their screenplay produced by Kaos Films.
It will be premiered at BAFTA (subject to BAFTA availability), entered into film festivals around the world before being screened in selected cinemas in the UK.
In addition there are ten runner-up prizes. The first runner-up will receive the full suite of Movie Magic Screenplay Writing software.
A further nine runners-up will each receive a copy of Movie Magic Screenwriter 2000 screenplay writing software.

BFSC Prize:
The winning screenplay will be produced with a budget of up to $2 million.
The winning writer will be required to sign an assignment (writers agreement) which will offer the writer a purchase price (rights fee) of not less than 1% of the budget with a floor of 15,000 US Dollars and a ceiling of 40,000 US Dollars less any sums paid - payable on the first day of principal photography of the film. This fee will be pro-rated downwards if a credit were to be shared with any other writer.
In the case of the work originating from multiple writers the writers agreement will treat the multiple writers as one entity.
The writer shall also be entitled to sums equal to one percent (1.0%) of Kaos Films’ share of profits of The Film produced.
In the event that Kaos Films has to commission other writer or writers such that he/she receives a shared credit with the original writer/s this percentage shall be reduced to one-half percent (0.5%).
The first runner-up of the British Feature Screenplay competition will receive a Macbook worth nearly $1350.
If the winner has an agent the next runner-up without an agent will get representation from Katharine Vile of United Agents
All the finalists will receive Movie Magic Screenwriting software as well as written feedback from the judges.

Judges are:
Kenneth Branagh
Michael Grade
Michael Kuhn
Sir Alan Parker
Nik Powell
Natascha Wharton
Stephen Woolley

nmstevens

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Cinema of Dread seminar (moved to Stickied Announcements thread, page 3)

Not sure if this is exactly the right place to post this, but here it is anyway.

Steven Katz (writer of Shadow of the Vampire) and I recently did a
seminar at NYU sponsored by the WGAeast on writing for horror movies.

If anybody just feels they can't get enough of me, here's a link:
(you may have to cut and paste it to get it to work)

http://www.wgaeast.org/index.php?id...=1842&tx_ttnews[backPid]=339&cHash=265fbad563

NMS

Last edited by a moderator:

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
Don't mind me, just tweaked the link a little.

Thanks for sharing, Neal. I'm really looking forward to seeing this.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Fun talk about horror movies, first of all. And the points towards the end about selling out were fun (Must...read..."Deader" spec).

You made some interesting points about slow vs fast pacing being a benchmark difference vs horror vs action. It puts an interesting perspective on, say, Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the first) and particularly the now iconic scene of Marilyn Burns running and running more, with Leatherface on her heels. Fast paced, no doubt, and yet a scene soaked in suspense - she just runs on and on, and into one dead end and trap after another. Tobe Hooper perfectly captures that nightmare we've all had of running in quicksand, and creates that feeling on film. So there's a balance of fast and slow there that works, which I think is what befuddles the lesser imitators.
And Steven Katz' recollection of Eddie Murphy's take on horror movies made me smile, definitely. So, great stuff!

Last edited:

acescreenplay

Registered
Reaction score
Bridge International Competition - moved to Screenwriting Competitions Thread P3

BRIDGE INTERNATIONAL SCREENPLAY COMPETITION 2009
Accepting screenplays from Jan 21 - Apr 29, 2009.

Take advantage of an exclusive 25% discount on all entry fees! Limited time only.

Bridge International Screenplay Competition is your connection to thousands of industry contacts world-wide. Imagine your script in the hands of major studio executives, producers, agents and directors from around the globe. This competition is for serious writers with serious aspirations to get their work out there.

Submit Your Script Now!

bridge_ad2.jpg

xhouseboy

In the Yellow Woods
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Winning scripts are hand delivered to 8,500 industry professionals all over the world.'

Just out of curiosity - how does that one work?

AFF2009

Registered
Reaction score
2009 Austin Film Festival

Hey everybody -

I'm interning for the 2009 Austin Film Festival, and I thought I'd let you guys know about the new reduced rates. In an effort to aide in economic stimulus we've cut the costs for festival attendence -

AFF STIMULUS PACKAGE

Unless you're an AIG executive, these are difficult economic times. The AFF
Stimulus Package has been created to help you get through the recession with group and student discounts, travel and hotel assistance, and a number of other incentives to offer networking opportunities, entertainment, inspiration, and further your screenwriting and filmmaking careers.

BADGES
In order to help you make ends meet, we're slashing prices and offering
discounts left and right. In addition to our regular registration deadlines,
we're giving significant discounts and packages to AFF members, students,
teachers, Nicholl entrants, and members of writers groups and filmmaking
groups. Seriously, it's almost impossible to not fit into one of these
categories and be eligible to buy a discounted badge.

Group Discounts for 2009*

Weekend Badge
$200 (regularly $225)

Conference Badge
Through September 28th: $300 (regularly $350)
After September 28th: $325 (regularly $375)

Producers Badge
Through September 28th: $535 (regularly $585)
After September 28th: $600 (regularly $650)

Bonus: If there are 10 or more registrants from one Writers Group, the group
organizer will receive a complimentary Conference Badge which may be
upgraded to a Producers Badge for an additional $235 (by September 28th) or
$275 (after September 28th).

COMPETITIONS
Film - Are you a member of a filmmaking or screenwriting group? Submit 4
film competition entries for $100! That's a savings of over $80!

Each group of 4 films must be submitted in the same package. This discount
is valid for mail in submissions only, i.e., cannot submit through
Withoutabox. A separate entry form needs to accompany each film submitted.
Students must include a copy of their school ID.

Screenplay/Teleplay - Are you a currently enrolled student? If your school
can put together 5 or more entries, you can each take $5 off! If your school can put together 15 or more entries, you can each take $10 off!

Discounted entry fees for 5 or more entries are**:
Screenplays: $35 (before May 15), $45 (before June 1)
Teleplays: $25 (before June 1)

Discounted entry fees for 15 or more entries are**:
Screenplays: $30 (before May 15), $40 (before June 1)
Teleplays: $20

Bonus: If you are a Finalist in the AFF Screenplay or Teleplay Competitions,
you also get an All-Access Producers Badge (value: $650), and an Awards
Luncheon ticket (value: $45), and are eligible for the Writers Ranch and
included in the Producers Book, which puts you and your script in front of
Hollywood's top producers, studio reps, and agents (value: priceless).

If you are a Winner in the AFF Screenplay or Teleplay Competitions, you get
all of the above and reimbursement for your travel and hotel expenses, and
your prize money. You've made money off of the AFF before you've even sold
your script!

Bonus: If your film screens in competition at the AFF, you also get 2
All-Access Producers Badges (value: $1,300), and an Awards Luncheon ticket
(value: $45), and 10 tickets to your film ($90), and your film screened at
least twice at a festival with over 4,000 film-goers, including Hollywood's
top producers, studio reps, and agents (value: priceless).

If you are an AFF Film Competition Winner, you get all of the above and
reimbursement for your travel and hotel expenses, and your prize money.
You've made money off of the AFF before you've even sold distribution rights
to your film!

BUT HOW WILL I GET THERE? AND WHERE WILL I STAY?
Flights
Continental Airlines is the official carrier for the Austin Film Festival
and offers discounts off published fares of 2% to 15% or Zone fares. Call
your travel professional or Continental MeetingWorks at 800-468-7022 for
reservations. Refer to Z Code ZFCM and Agreement Code: ACW1QZ.

Or, save an additional 3% off by booking your own reservations at
www.continental.com. Choose your flight times and access your meeting
discounts by inserting ZFCMACW1QZ in the Offer Code box.

Hotels
The AFF offers discounts at surrounding area hotels for all registrants.
Hotel discounts must be booked through our office. You must be registered in
advance to receive discounts. Rates (per night):

The Driskill - $239
Intercontinental Stephen F. Austin - $205
Radisson - $155
Hilton Garden Inn - $139
Holiday Inn - $129

STILL ON THE FENCE?
Break it down like this. A discounted Producers Badge is $535. This covers:

food at a minimum of 5 parties (even on a diet, this would be a minimum of
$125);
open bar at 9 parties (if you only get a light buzz, this would be at least
$200);
almost 200 films (if you only see 5 films the whole time you're here, that's
$45);
over 80 panels (only interested in a few of the TV and 'breaking in' panels?
That would ballpark at $200);
shuttle service to theaters and French Legation for the Texas Film BBQ
($40); and
countless networking and socializing opportunities with Hollywood's finest
industry representatives and filmmakers and screenwriters like Paul Feig,
Chris McQuarrie, Melissa Rosenberg, Doug Ellin, Touchstone's Channing
Dungey, and Fox's Barry Josephson. Absolutely invaluable.

So what are you waiting for? Pick up the phone and buy your Badge now!
800-310-FEST (3378)

* Group members will need to call the office (512-478-4795) and speak with Alex McPhail or me, Maya Perez, in order to register with the discounts.
Group organizer must call and register the group with the Austin Film
Festival first. Group discounts are not valid with any other discount or
promotional price offered by the Austin Film Festival.

** All entries must be sent together with separate entry forms for each
entry and a letter on the school's letterhead with a contact for the group.
Notification letters will be sent to the entrants directly.

These discounts do not apply to the additional prize categories (Latitude
Productions Award and Sci-Fi Award). The students are welcome to enter these categories, but they must pay the full additional $20 per category. To enter one or both of these, mark the box on the entry form and include the additional fees

AFF2009

Registered
Reaction score
Confirmed Panelists

I figured ya'll might also be interested in knowing who is currently a confirmed panelist for the 2009 festival -

Panelists will include -

Jessica Bendinger (writer/director “Stick It”, writer “Aquamarine”, “Bring It On”)

Doug Ellin (creator/writer “Entourage”)

Paul Feig (creator/writer of the Emmy-nominated “Freaks and Geeks”, writer/director “I Am David”, writer “Unaccompanied Minors”, director “The Office”, “Mad Men”, “30 Rock”, and “Weeds”)

Jay A. Fernandez, senior film reporter The Hollywood Reporter

Barry Josephson, producer 20th Century Fox

Chris McQuarrie (writer “The Usual Suspects”, “The Way of the Gun”, “Valkyrie”)

Gina Prince-Bythewood (writer/director “The Secret Life of Bees”, “Love & Basketball”, writer “Felicity”, “A Different World”)

Melissa Rosenberg (“Twilight”, “New Moon,” and “Breaking Dawn”, head writer “Dexter”)

BridgeScripts

Registered
Reaction score
Screenwriting Competitions, Opportunities, Member Videos & Announcements

bailout_img.gif

With our final screenplay submission deadline just a week away, we got to thinking – isn’t it time someone helped the creative backbone of our society instead of rewarding those who are destroying it? With that said, we’re very excited to introduce the Screenwriters Bailout 2009! From now thru Wednesday, April 22 at Midnight (EST), you can submit your script to Bridge International Screenplay Competition and pay only 50% of the current entry fees! We know times are tight, and you shouldn’t be expected to throw your hard work into a dusty drawer, never to be seen again, just because contest fees are too high. This exclusive opportunity is our gift to you. See, recessions can be fun!

Submitting your work to Bridge Int’l Screenplay Competition puts you in the running for the ultimate promotional package. This is a serious competition - for serious writers. Winners and finalist scripts are relentlessly exposed to the industry’s leading executives, readers, directors, agents and producers from all over the world! This can be your big shot, and with the Screenwriters Bailout, you have no excuses – submit your work today!

CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT NOW!

UrDezire

Registered
Reaction score
in need of a writer

Gday people.
i Fardin Victor Ashkbar, am looking for writer for my movie, and while searching all over the net i found this site so why not give it a try and lets see if i can find someone who can help me get the movie started...if anyone out there intrested just give me a buzz at http://screenwriters.meetup.com/285/members/7306983/
Cheers
F.V.A

Last edited by a moderator:

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
Hi Fardin. I edited your Sydney Screenwriters Group link into your post in place of what you had.

If anyone wants to contact Fardin, do so with the link in his post or through the Private Message option. Cheers.

Script a Wish

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scriptawish.com
Chance to pitch to STAR TREK producer! moved to stickied Competitions thread, page 3

Heya, guys. (I'm posting this a couple different places, FYI, so apologies if I annoy ya.)

I normally don't talk about our services on the boards. It's my goal to just be a part of the communities, and I love doing that. But today I've got something that I think would be an injustice to NOT post...

One of the reasons we started Script a Wish was to level the playing field, and also to destroy the barrier between unknowns and a career as a screenwriter.

I can't tell you how many times I've had people lament to me that they know their new project could sell, if only they could pitch it to someone with the power and money to buy it.

Obviously, we help people get their script to power players by reading and then recommending them. With that process, we've already had a couple things optioned at Oscar-winning production companies.

Now, we're doing something more, and I'm thrilled we finally got this worked out: If you submit a script to us this week, you'll be entered to win a one-hour telephone pitch session with one of the producers of STAR TREK.

Yes, this is for real. Due to their crazy schedules at the moment, I can't guarantee who it will be - only that it will be one of the ACTUAL producers from Bad Robot.

(And by the way, everyone will have an equal chance to win, regardless of genre.)

If you're interested, check out www.scriptawish.com to send us your work and be entered to win this fantastic opportunity.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
Chance to pitch to a STAR TREK producer!
Sounds interesting, but what the heck is a one-hour telephone pitch phone session with a producer ?

So someone at Bad Robot agreed to listen to an HOUR of a pitch for a random genre .. they'll listen for a full hour to me pitching my project, even if they know in advance they really aren't interested my story of the history of button holes in Victorian England?

If after the first half minute it is clear that my Victorian lapel drama 'isn't for them' then are they going to stay on the phone for the next 59.5 minutes?

If everyone has an equal chance at winning, then they are just listening to someone at random ! Even if they have zero interest in that genre !!

They either have an odd way of doing business, or they'll be giving the job of listening to the pitch to an intern.

But the deal is listed as being 'a STAR TREK producer! '

That limits it to being:
* J.J. Abrams
* Bryan Burk
* Jeffrey Chernov
* Alex Kurtzman
* Damon Lindelof
* Roberto Orci
* David Witz

So is it really a chance to pitch to one of the Star Trek producers ... or is the call going to be taken by a nameless employee .. a guy with the level of respect in the company that ensures he ends up with the really vital job of like listening to an hour long phone call from a randomly selected stranger?

A hour long phone call with one of the interns at Bad Robot seems like an interesting opportunity, but certainly isn't the same thing as an hour long pitch to one of the producers of Star Trek !

Mac

Last edited:

scriptwriter74

Sirius
Registered
Reaction score
sounds sketchy to me

1 hr pitch session? What if they are already bored with your logline?

What's the catch, what service $$ fo you need to sign up for to get this potential offer?

Last edited:

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
My guess is it would work where the cream of the crop scripts would have their loglines and synopses sent to whichever producer agreed and they'd pick the one they were interested in. I can't imagine they'd take a script and listen about it for a full hour over something they're not even remotely interested in. Furthermore they'll probably give you up to an hour but the hour itself isn't guaranteed. I can't imagine that if they got on with a total ass or someone who bored the heck out of them that they'd stay on for a full hour if it is indeed a producer.

But that's all guessing.

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
I think it's still a pretty decent incentive. You'll know pretty quickly whether or not your pitch/logline is being received well. If it isn't, have something else to pitch. Even without the pitching, it'd still be insightful to talk to someone in the industry, make a contact you can pitch to in future, get a sense of what projects they're into, what they wouldn't want to make, how they see their future. Producers love to talk and I have a feeling an hour would fly by.

Kurzman or Orci would be fascinating to talk to.

Script a Wish

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scriptawish.com
Chance to pitch to a STAR TREK producer!
Sounds interesting, but what the heck is a one-hour telephone pitch phone session with a producer ?

So someone at Bad Robot agreed to listen to an HOUR of a pitch for a random genre .. they'll listen for a full hour to me pitching my project, even if they know in advance they really aren't interested my story of the history of button holes in Victorian England?

If after the first half minute it is clear that my Victorian lapel drama 'isn't for them' then are they going to stay on the phone for the next 59.5 minutes?

If everyone has an equal chance at winning, then they are just listening to someone at random ! Even if they have zero interest in that genre !!

They either have an odd way of doing business, or they'll be giving the job of listening to the pitch to an intern.

But the deal is listed as being 'a STAR TREK producer! '

That limits it to being:
* J.J. Abrams
* Bryan Burk
* Jeffrey Chernov
* Alex Kurtzman
* Damon Lindelof
* Roberto Orci
* David Witz

So is it really a chance to pitch to one of the Star Trek producers ... or is the call going to be taken by a nameless employee .. a guy with the level of respect in the company that ensures he ends up with the really vital job of like listening to an hour long phone call from a randomly selected stranger?

A hour long phone call with one of the interns at Bad Robot seems like an interesting opportunity, but certainly isn't the same thing as an hour long pitch to one of the producers of Star Trek !

Mac

Mac, thanks for the questions. Firstly, it WILL be one of the producers. We can't guarantee which one, but it will be a producer - that we can promise.

The hour-long call can be what you want, though we recommend obviously that you pitch your strongest stuff. They may or may not be interested in it for themselves - Bad Robot, like every other prod co, has specific needs. BUT, they know more people, and the guys there are great and would be willing to pass your stuff along to others, if they found it strong enough.

The hour is what you make of it, really.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Mac, thanks for the questions. Firstly, it WILL be one of the producers. We can't guarantee which one, but it will be a producer - that we can promise.

The hour-long call can be what you want, though we recommend obviously that you pitch your strongest stuff. They may or may not be interested in it for themselves - Bad Robot, like every other prod co, has specific needs. BUT, they know more people, and the guys there are great and would be willing to pass your stuff along to others, if they found it strong enough.

The hour is what you make of it, really.

Thanks for coming back and clarifying, I am curious though, how is the winner selected? Is it a random draw, is it the person who has the best script? Does Bad Robot have any say?

Thanks.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Shouldn't this be in the Announcements, Events, and Self-Promotion forum? As the text under the link for it says under the Main Forum Index, "This is the ONLY board where press releases and advertising are allowed. Must relate to writers."