Blatant Sexism?

Deleted member 42

I've got ten members on mine, at present, not for any personal reasons but because I find these person's post generally disagreeable and stomach churning at times.

We all have different sets of triggers, and degrees of emotional "armor," if you will.

But.

If you really do find a post particularly upsetting, do at least contemplate calling a Mod's attention to the post--either in PM or Report a Post.

Because for every one person who speaks up, there are probably ten others who don't. And there's a point where if it does upset a fair number of otherwise reasonable folk, it's worth having the mods take a look.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I only sorta reported a member to a mod one time since being here, really w/o thinking about what I was doing. Jenna offered to remove any rep points, 6 months or so back, that members wanted to get rid of for whatever reason. So I took her up on the offer, which as I later realized was the equivalent of reporting someone as the rep in question wasn't exactly flattering.

I felt badly afterwards for doing so. To me, informing on someone even if they've posted something horrible just seems wrong to me. If someone says something you find offensive in any way you've got two options in my book: either confront the person, directly, or just brush the remark aside. Telling on them just isn't an option in my book. Maybe I'm wrong with this. I have lots of ideals which are very much out of sync with practicality and ordinary goings on, as you've probably gleaned by now ;-)

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
On the original issue, I think there is a justified difference between make 'sexist' jokes to a man, and making sexist jokes to a woman.

There is a general inequality between the sexes that still exists, it's engrained in the way society works. Sure we have come along way and women are now formally considered equal, but there's still this ideological sexism that still exists.

So making sexist jokes toward women, even if it is just in fun, is supporting this general trend, where as the same to men is kind of giving it back and going against the trend. I honestly am not offended when this kind of jokes are made toward me or other men, but try to avoid doing it the other way and will often have a go if someone else does it in any blatant way.

Just my two cents, don't really expect people to agree with me though.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it all depends on who gets offended by what. Some dudes rather enjoy being objectified and treated like meat. At least every once in a while...

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I think it all depends on who gets offended by what. Some dudes rather enjoy being objectified and treated like meat. At least every once in a while...

This is one of those times where the "Golden Rule" can fail. Most men I know would looooove to be hooted and whistled at, complimented on their private or other body parts, and other such things in public. Preferrably in public.

While most women don't appreciate it. (Some, as others have mentioned, even go so far as to equate compliments on sexiness with perversion.)

If men were to apply the Golden Rule-- and do unto women as they would like women doing unto them, yeah, you get some problems.

Now, I gotta wonder, is this mainly because the average man doesn't get much female attention, particular regarding looks? One of my male friends often jokes that he doesn't know why women even like looking at men... he says men aren't usually much to look at. Especially compared to most women..

Or is this difference more because women have such a fear that an interested man can too easily because a stalker/rapist/etc? So many women are unable (from conditioning, fear or other things) to stand up and tell a man who crosses the line to go away... and sadly, some men just take it as a challenge.

Hmmm... wonder why men want what women often don't? (At least as far as public appreciation of hotness.) (Note, I'm trying to be general in all ways here-- no statement about preferences can ever apply to all people.)

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
I have regularly posted in those threads (and so has the furry ferret one, no matter how much he protests his innocence) and it's just banter back and forth.

The threads have been around for a year or longer, and the regulars certainly take shortcuts and make comments which might shock newcomers to the threads. Just think of Haskins dropping the 'f-you, pal' bomb onto Rob. For those of us who have been here for a while, and most folks who have been around for just a few months would just laugh their asses off at the jab. Newcomers won't know that Rob and Haskins regularly offend one another, and that it is intended to be humorous, not offensive.

As far as the suggestive threads, I would recommend that people try to at least skim the thread some before getting all worked up about the content.

Mostly it's all character stuff, where people's avatars are treated like they represent the real person. It's all an act, but it's fun to lose yourself in a different identity sometimes. It's all a virtual thing, like Susie's hugs. We aren't having orgies. We aren't having sex. We aren't even discussing sex, we're just tossing about innuendos and, for the most part, trying to be funny doing so.

The cattle prod got started because some folks are just too sexy for their own good.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Scarlett, I really love your peaches and I wanna shake your tree, but you were one of many I was thinking of. (Thinkin' of the Thinker!)

There are lots of them about. I'd rather they post for themselves, like you have. You ain't shy, that's for sure, and I don't suspect they are, either. This should be a very lively thread if more show up.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
Or is this difference more because women have such a fear that an interested man can too easily because a stalker/rapist/etc? So many women are unable (from conditioning, fear or other things) to stand up and tell a man who crosses the line to go away... and sadly, some men just take it as a challenge.

I think it has something to do with the emphasis society places on women's looks, as opposed to whether or not they're smart and interesting.

Think of female politicians, they seem to get far more commentary on their wardrobe than on their policies.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Joe, your stinger is looking very festive.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
HOORAY! I'VE BEEN OBJECTIFIED!

Put a shirt on, for cryin' out loud.

Joe, your stinger is looking very festive.

Dawno did it. Again.

It makes it really difficult to have any post taken seriously in P&CE. Not that anyone ever took me seriously without the sparkly mistletoe, mind you.

It's sorta sexsaaay, for a scorpion at least.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Now, I gotta wonder, is this mainly because the average man doesn't get much female attention, particular regarding looks? One of my male friends often jokes that he doesn't know why women even like looking at men... he says men aren't usually much to look at. Especially compared to most women..

This is by no means a definitive answer but I think part of it has to do with the sexual expectations and dynamics in our culture. The men are usually the aggressors -- the one making the moves. When a man objectifies a woman, etc. it could be a sign of aggressive behaviors and that may threaten the woman, who is reduced to something being used by men for pleasure or procreation.

Meanwhile, men is more hardwired to sex and it's also more socially acceptable for men to "sow their seeds" -- thus being openly desired by women is seen as a strength -- like a peacock fanning his tail, it's a sign of supremacy. It boost the man's ego to be seen as the "super hot jock with a nice package" -- blah, blah... that would mean he's going to get laid more than his fellow buddies. What's wrong with that?

Now, if the dynamic is changed slightly -- let's say, the men are objectified by other MEN, then we'd witness something very interesting. Suddenly, the men being objectified feel threatened, uncomfortable, and bothered, much like women do when objectified by men. Most guys I know, with a few exceptions, feel really uneasy when hit on by gay men.

Whereas, when a woman talks about another woman being "hot" or "sexy" -- there's less of that kind of threat. Perhaps they see it as just mutual admiration -- so what? Or maybe they just don't see other women, who find them sexually attractive, as threatening.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Mostly it's all character stuff, where people's avatars are treated like they represent the real person. It's all an act, but it's fun to lose yourself in a different identity sometimes.

My avatar is nothing like the real me.

I'm much hotter in person.