• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Ghostwriting] The Penn Group

wordz

Registered
Reaction score
The Penn Group must be an absolute torure chamber. Numerous ghostwriters, editors, and freelancers contacted me privately after I posted my concerns on this forum and others last January. All were desperate to know with whom I had spoken. Names, places, times, terms--they wanted any info I could provide for possible lawsuits, citing that it had been difficult to get paid or sever their ties with the company. One such story is already chronicled in this thread. Some ghosts are intimidated and threatened if they merely pass on working for the Bailyn brothers. It's one thing for their clients to get scammed, but I found it most unsettling to have one of the posts above be confirmed by so many other writers to whom Penn attempts to subcontract their work.

Interestingly, the Penn Group is no longer a sponsored link on Google. Because of their linking with lawyers, DUI defense sites, the owner's Peter Pan page, the Doll Emporium page for young female teens, and numerous other websites unrelated to writing, Penn now enjoys an organic ranking, and hence no advertising costs to obtain search results for the company. (Shame on Google--their ranking algorithm is supposed to penalize this way of obtaining traffic.)

One would think that the NY State Attorney General could shut this sleeze factory down, but the Bailyn brothers impart fear to everyone. They're like cyber-mobsters. Mess with 'em, and you get served papers. I started this thread as an outraged former client. I hope that writers, however, might stumble across this thread and be saved a lot of misery and legal fees.

broadwaylou99

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any verified compalints or issue of fraud or scam against this company?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
This Boston Globe article discusses some conflicts between Penn Group and writers it had contracted. Not folks I would want to deal with myself.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
From what I;ve heard and researched, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

Although I'll probably be sued just for saying that.

:)

broadwaylou99

Registered
Reaction score
Penn Group Complaints

Thanks for information on penn group complaints and scams. I see the writer complaints, but nothing documented about clients.

www.pegr.com/

Last edited: