• Total voters

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
My son has a better target for puke: my face. He got me right in the face one night as he was trying to wake me up to tell me he was feeling sick. I opened my eyes and BAM! right on my face. That's the quickest I've ever cleaned puke up, I'll give it that.

As for your youngest, perhaps she's having issues with her teeth of some kind.
That's the most horrible thing I've ever heard. Adoption is still an option, you know.

And there are such things as unpardonable sins.

emandem

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think there can be any hard and fast rules about co-sleeping w/kids (vs. not)--and studies that try to prove one way is best wouldn't be accurate because all families and stressers are different. It should be whatever works for your family.

Like TJWriter mentioned, when you're going through bad hours at work, or even a divorce, your child might need that extra comfort. Believe me, they grow out of it quickly. On the other hand, if you're a stay-at-home parent that spends all day long with your kid, there may be less of a need.

Like I said in my earlier post, I don't ever regret the times our kids got up in the night and needed to climb in our bed-- Rules are good to have, however--e.g. telling your kids that Friday nights are nights that EVERYone stays in their own bed (so mom and dad can have alone time, etc.)

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think there can be any hard and fast rules about co-sleeping w/kids (vs. not)--and studies that try to prove one way is best wouldn't be accurate because all families and stressers are different. It should be whatever works for your family.
I agree completely.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hot topic! Hot! Hot!

of course, in some cultures, the whole family
sleeps together!

Or in a room the size of a closet. Bedding got folded up and put away in the daytime. Not usually an issue in the US. :)

Plus, when I visit...it's gonna be a tight squeeze...
I have a 3/2 split. Come visit. You can have your own bed and cat warmer. :D

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
I don't like rules that say all children should be raised in this way or that. Each parent has a different style and each child had different needs. To say that doing "this" will ultimately result in "that" is just nonsense. Each parent must decide what's best for them and their child.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yes. The only definitive thing I can say is that sleeping with my children would ultimately result in a) a homicide or b) involuntary commitment for a period mandated by the court and reviewed by the attending psychiatrist.

But, I do not sneer at people who manage it.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I don't like rules that say all children should be raised in this way or that. Each parent has a different style and each child had different needs. To say that doing "this" will ultimately result in "that" is just nonsense. Each parent must decide what's best for them and their child.

I agree completely, Roger. I'm a big fan of doing what works for your family.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Some people also sleep in the nude, which can be uncomfortable with older children. I don't necessarily mean emotionally, but physically if the child is a thrasher. I mean theoretically, anyway...

Eskimo1990

is here :)
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have any kids yet.

But I have clear memories of crawling into my parent's bed after a bad dream.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
I never slept in my parents bed. ever. Occasionally, on sunday mornings we would all pile on my parents's bed, three kids and two dogs and two adults, but I just laid across the foot of the bed. I'm single, which is a good thing because I can't sleep with someone else in the bed. It's not that I'm a thrasher, I actually don't move when I sleep, I just don't like someone else being there.

My sister's kids sleep in her bed all the time. She always complains that they wake her up and then she says she would miss them. Of course it's a zoo in her house. Three dogs, seven cats, two kids. Occasionally, all of them on the bed at the same time. lol

My brother, on the other hand, I'm pretty sure his kids never slept with him and his wife.

It's different for everyone. And just for the record, my sister's kids are extremely independant.

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
Yes in the winter, no in the summer.

It's cold here and we use space heaters. I'd much rather them be in my room and using one heater than two with the prices of energy.

As babies, always. I breastfeed and also I love knowing they are safe. We practice safe co-sleeping habits, so I have never worried about accidental smothering. I also keep a toddler bed in my room in case of storms/bad dreams/whatnot.

One day they'll be gone. I already have one that is...the sleeping together doesn't last forever, I like to know I am needed and comforting for at least a little while. Yeah, I have abandonment issues, lol.