Quote Originally Posted by Reluctant Artist View Post
Here are the reasons I'm seriously considering self-publishing my mainstream fiction manuscript (supported publishing).

1. I maintain ownership and control of the work
2. No heartache trying to get through the gatekeepers (agents/ publishers)
3. Less concern about GENRE, that is, where to put my book on a shelf
4. Publishers are doing way less editing - they like authors to do that themselves.
5. Publishers are doing way less marketing - they like authors to establish their own "platforms".
6. Certainty that my book WILL be published in my lifetime.

What traditional publishers seem to offer is:
1. Distribution channels not easily accessible by self-publishers
2. stamp of approval; validation of your work.

HOWEVER, enough good books are overlooked and enough bad books are published that I have a hard time trusting that the gatekeepers really have the skills to convey validation with accuracy! The real litmus test is sales, what READERS think.

If we could all figure out ways to get our self-published books into the hands of readers, we could by-pass the gatekeepers.
Just food for thought.
Reluctant, I really understand exactly how you feel because those are my thoughts, too. When each day brings another rejection, you do start to ask yourself, "Is it time to stop (querying)?"

It's so hard to know when enough is enough. You keep thinking that if you just sent out a few more...

I find that your #2 in the second list seems to matter a lot to me. I can't get over thinking that the failure to attract an agent/publisher interest means that my work is no good. Even though others have read it and said otherwise...even though portions of the manuscript have been published in reputable journals.

My capacity for staying enthusiastic about seeking representation is waning.