Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 101415161718192021222324252630 ... LastLast

Thread: Hill and Hill Literary Agency (Christopher Hill)

figuring it all out MildlyMiffed's Avatar
    It was James Dreardon that Claire Ashton rallied against when she replied to Geoff:

"All of the work received was read, some was of a fine standard. We are not of malicious character, but if someone out there specifically James Dreardon begins to rattle my cage, their work might magically appear on numerous sites, blogs, and whatever other means necessary. Of course we would never take that action and would not condone."

I suspect it was a piece of mis-direction, to give a modecum of trust in Mr Dreardon... I can't imagine any of H&H being welcome at the Frankfurt book fair...
    Last edited by MildlyMiffed; 09-23-2006 at 07:28 PM.

figuring it all out Olderbutwiser's Avatar
    [quote=MildlyMiffed]It was James Dreardon that Claire Ashton rallied against when she replied to Geoff:

"All of the work received was read, some was of a fine standard. quote]

That word "fine" sticks out. Hill used it in an email to me "Bantam are a fine house". He was being complementary, but "fine" can have a Laurel and Hardy meaning. I'd have used good or excellent to avoid misunderstanding.

Hill and Ashton misused the English Language with equal culpability. Interesting.

I wonder if perhaps there is in reality only one person...

Christopher Hill
    Claire Ashton
    James Dreardon
    Justin Chambers
    Stuart Baines
    et al

All the same person?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin SUNDIAL's Avatar
    Don't forget Stuart Hades, MM!

2C's 2J's 2S's... Exam results?

He's probably called Fred Blogs!
    Last edited by SUNDIAL; 09-23-2006 at 09:19 PM.

I am legion, for we are many...

This was initially my theory. I've spoken to "CH" a few times who was definitely male, but Geoff Nelder has spoken to one female voice, possibly two.

Myself I suspect there are only two actual people involved. The sociopath male has the biggest problem and needs the most help. I'm not quite sure why the female went along with it. I have a hunch she's no longer involved. In her reply to Geoff, she was writing under stress, and her tone indicated remorse.

But what do I know...

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Surely any female is likely to be Hill's wife, Lorraine? She was the co-author of the contract, for what that's worth.

I had two emails today from 'James'. I will paste them here in italics.

I admit you are quite correct in all your assumptions. IP addresses wrong signatures, coming back on line under another guise that should have left alone!

To go to such lengths and then to fall so low!! Why? why? why?

I must be stupid it is the only logical explanation.

Oh well another e-mail to shut down.

Perhaps we should all meet up in Edinburgh?

And:

Oh one last little ditty before I go.

I was not the only mole. If you get the other you win a prize!!

Maybe we should all just file complaints with the authorities (I know some people, including me, have already done so) and draw a line under this thread? The man is clearly mentally ill. With what, I don't know. Perhaps he's got multiple personality disorder. Perhaps he's got sexual inadequacies. Maybe his mother didn't love him enough, or maybe his scoutmaster loved him too much. Who knows, or indeed, cares? This thread may be cathartic, and I love it, but it is an open invitation for Hill to keep on creating new personas. Feeds him the oxygen of publicity, as they say.

Question Will the person(s) behind this hold his hands up?

Er... does this mean "Hill" is cracking? He's making mistakes. Is the pressure now getting to him?

At this rate we might get an explanation. Or even an apology...

Over to you, Chris... Confess. I could even forgive you.
    Last edited by Olderbutwiser; 09-23-2006 at 09:56 PM.

Either cracking or H&H (that was) think they are untouchable.

I'm not holding out for either an apology or explanation

practical experience, FTW Dollywagon's Avatar
    Na, he's not cracking.

If you want to find the mole the clue is in the punctuation. It's funny how some people try and disguise how they write, but then they all have their own personal little 'foibles,' stuff they don't even realise they are doing.

It's quite strange really, because I am notorious on this forum for not understanding g&p. I hate it because I don't get it. But what I am is a 'copyist,' I look for what other folk do to try and suss if I am doing it right. For me, others folks punctuation lights up like the little green light at the bottom of the screen.

Mind you, Jenna and her pals have most likely already got it sussed through the IP records and things.

Moderation in All Things AW Moderator Roger J Carlson's Avatar
    I have serious doubts that there is another mole. Likely, it's just a ruse to sew more distrust here. If it keeps you from pursuing redress, he's won. Your best bet is to keep in touch with Victoria, who is certainly NOT connected with this.
    --Roger J. Carlson

If you've received spam from me, my apologies. My gmail contact list was stolen and they spoof me every couple of months. Nothing I can do, but if you get spam from roger.j.carlsonATgmailDOTCOM, just put the address in your block list. I still receive email there, but I don't send from that address anymore.

I'm with Roger about contacting Victoria and seeking redress.
    This whole set-up has been to purposefully deflect people from taking the matter further, that much has become clear.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Over the next four days, I'll be posting an account of the Hill Affair to Writer Beware's blog. It summarizes all the documentation I've gathered over the past few days, as well as comments made in this thread and things I've dug up on my own. No doubt there's much that remains unknown, but I think I've been able to shed at least a little light. The first installment went up this afternoon. Comments and/or corrections are welcome.

I want to thank everyone who contacted me in response to my requests for information and documentation. You've been more than generous, and I truly appreciate your help.

- Victoria

Email from Claire Ashton

Hi All

I received this email from Claire Ashton this evening:

i'll ask for my money back, but I'm not holding my breath!

This is a genuine offer, all those replying will receive notice of when refund will be sent.

As the date 30th September is fast approaching the situation regarding our former company has now been somewhat aggravated.

From the 30th those of you not wishing to continue under our representation will receive a refund. As from e-mails received this may be more than we accounted for understand that this must be staggered.

All UK clients will be sent postal orders to the amount decreed, all overseas clients will receive cheques in sterling. If this is not acceptable please so state.

It is understandable that some of you may think that this offer is not genuine. If that is the case then please do not send reply.

We would ask that anyone requesting refund send confirmation of posting address. On the e-mail requesting refund please insert refund into the subject box.

Although matters have become confused and inappropriate we will be issuing these refunds. If you are not happy with this there is little else we can do.

Regards

Claire Ashton

--

Go on then DollyW...
    spill the beans.

I'm absolutely fascinated!!!

Who is the mole in the hole??

Who is the Hill Mole in the molehill???
    Last edited by SUNDIAL; 09-24-2006 at 02:42 AM.

Claire/Chris/Stuart/James Refund Policy

Hi Folks,
    I wasn't planning to write again, but I was fascinated to learn that Claire Ashton is offering refunds. Claire, you may send my 80 pounds to my university address, listed below. Please have James run it to the postal box--that would be a nice touch. Then you can all go to Hades. It's located up on the Hill.

For all of us who were scammed, please let me reiterate what I said in an earlier post: contact the authorities. I have no idea what sort of cyberscam unit Scotland Yard has, but our Federal Bureau of Investigation has one; and since Americans were affected by the scam, aiding the FBI might ultimately wind up helping people in Britain. Please go to the FBI cybercrime webpage and describe what happened. The more the better. The address is www.IC3.gov

Best to you all,
    David E. Pearson, Ph.D.
    Professor of Sociology
    Academic Senate President
    University of Texas at Brownsville

I think I know who the mole is!!!

But my lips are sealed until I have proof.

Think it's someone i haven't sent PM to yet!

You sent a PM, but I'm on a laptop computer and can't see it.

Send an email to david.pearson@utb.edu. I'll answer right away.

I don't believe there is another mole. What role would he or she play? An obserer? Well, this is a public forum. To misinform and waylay? Well, it seems we've all made our minds up with regard to how we'll act.

I'm taking my hard drive to the police as soon as I receive a new powerpack from Dell (I'm writing this on my PDA at the mo) - pretty much every email since March is stored on there. I suggest you guys do the same. Stop worrying about moles, ignore these taunts and just act. Similarly, don't be fooled into thinking you don't need to act just because somebody else claims to be doing something. Don't even take my word - assume I'll be doing nothing, assume you're the only one who will act.

I shall be taking action alright but it won't be acting!

I wouldn't worry about moles either, because the bottom line is, anybody can come on board here and 'join the party,' some folk do things simply to entertain themselves.

It looks like the Prof will be the test case to see if the refund offer is genuine and I for one can't wait to see what happens.

Got an email from Geoff about the refund, don't think I'll bother even trying. He's probably right, its someone looking for personal details. Doh!

I must admit that I thought that at first, Millie, but then I figured they must already have all your personal details anyway.

If they had been asking for bank details I would maybe have been more suspicious.

What I can't understand is that they come on this board and basically admit infiltrating it and pretending to be people that they aren't and then try and act like a professional organisation again.

Is it another stalling tactic to stop people going to the authorities?

Quote Originally Posted by Dollywagon

Is it another stalling tactic to stop people going to the authorities?
    Who knows?

And I agree about moles, we all could be those. It is not possible for us to sort the chaff from the wheat.

I think we all should just chalk the whole things up to a bad experience, take action if we feel motivated to do so and go back to working on the thing that matters more, our writing!

True payback will be for all/most of us to be published and show the H Man the deals he missed.

sundial quote: True payback will be for all/most of us to be published and show the H Man the deals he missed.

I agree, can you imagine what an idiot he will look if we all get published and all he got from us was a few one off payments and an ego boost.

That's made my day!

Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 101415161718192021222324252630 ... LastLast