• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Hill and Hill Literary Agency (Christopher Hill)

hill-client-in-paris

Yikes!

This is a disgusting forum I must say.

I am a client of Hill & Hill. I was never charged a cent by them. I received timely reports, weekly emails, AND I have actually been present at one of the meetings with a major publisher. That's right...myself and Mr. Hill in the office of a major publisher with a shiny plaque on his desk. I swear! the people who are posting on this thread are the descendants of witch burners.
You have someone making his start in the difficult business of being a literary agent, perhaps he makes a few harmless mistakes that could be made by anyone starting a new business, and you all band together like wolves and slander him before the entire world and try to destroy his chances of ever making a successful business.
Somebody... close this forum down. The rest of you move on. You want to be successful writers, stop wasting your energies on these blogs and go write something worthwhile. Mon Dieu, c'est absurde.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Well, that's all very interesting. However, you must know that when one person arrives to discount the claims of a large number, it's incumbent upon this person to provide proofs. Could you identify yourself and this "major publisher" so these claims can be independently verified?

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yes please ... do tell.

When is your book coming out?

And I hate to point this out to you, Mr Hill Client, but there are an awful lot of very, very, successful writers contribute to this forum.

It's one of the reasons it's so successful;)

xhouseboy

In the Yellow Woods
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hill-client-in-paris said:
This is a disgusting forum I must say.

I am a client of Hill & Hill. I was never charged a cent by them. I received timely reports, weekly emails, AND I have actually been present at one of the meetings with a major publisher. That's right...myself and Mr. Hill in the office of a major publisher with a shiny plaque on his desk. I swear! the people who are posting on this thread are the descendants of witch burners.
You have someone making his start in the difficult business of being a literary agent, perhaps he makes a few harmless mistakes that could be made by anyone starting a new business, and you all band together like wolves and slander him before the entire world and try to destroy his chances of ever making a successful business.
Somebody... close this forum down. The rest of you move on. You want to be successful writers, stop wasting your energies on these blogs and go write something worthwhile. Mon Dieu, c'est absurde.

I'd lay odds that you probably are Mr Hill, or at least one of his personas.

Harmless mistakes? Close the forum down? Move on? You'd like that, wouldn't you? Like it all to go away. But that won't happen, mate.

jkorzenko

Registered
Reaction score
Descendant's of witch burners????

I, for one, am a descendent of the burnees. I just love these emotional defenses with no factual foundation. Shiny plaque my @ss.

J.

soloset

'bye
Registered
Reaction score
James D. Macdonald said:
So we're hypothesizing mental illness rather than criminal intent?

Con artists like this are sociopaths. Broken inside. Missed that step at age two where the rest of us realized other people have an existence outside of ourselves. Such an utter and total waste, in so many ways.

I'm just thankful every day that for every one of them, there are dozens who aren't broken.

Er. That's just my opinion -- I'm not a mental health professional or anything, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night either.

Oh, and I've been trying to think of a way to say this but I can't, so I just will. I admire all of you who have survived this; I can't imagine facing a situation like this with such grace and humor and just plain style.

italianjob

Registered
Reaction score
'Broken inside' is right. I wonder if Hill stopped to consider the effect that telling people that contract offers were imminent would have. That people might give up their jobs, etc. But then he doesn't appear to function as a normal human being, so perhaps not.

'Suffolk Hare' who posted on Saturday, you haven't posted since - are you okay?

MildlyMiffed

Registered
Reaction score
Just been looking through the stack of emails I have from H&H, sad I know, possibly even a little morbid - like stopping to look at a train wrekc or something. But...

"We get up and dust ourselves down, then proof the b*****ds wrong!"

Was the last line of the penultimate email I received from Mr Hill, seems that the man has provided me with some rather good advise!

MildlyMiffed

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Geoff,

If you carry on with these invasions of the solemnity and sactity of the Library system, you may well be banned for life - perhaps an interesting story for the late night talk show when you're being interviewed as a very successful author. Is this all part of your long term plan?

Onceburned

Unanswered Questions

To "Hill Client in Paris", I pose the same questions as I did to your previous nom-de-plume, "Tom Motter":

How about answers instead of hysterical accusations:

If Hill & Hill was/is legitimate, why is it that a direct inquiry to the legal department of a major, well-known publishing house, and their investigation, yielded an answer of "never heard of him" re Mr. Hill, and "never heard of it" about my manuscript, for which they were supposedly to make an offer that same day?

How is it that the mysterious "Karen" works for multiple different houses in which she allegedly has a lot of influence?

How is it that multiple publishing houses all of a sudden use the identical questionnaire?

How is it that so many of us have received identically-worded "Bulletins" about our various projects?

And, how is it that your hysterical rantings are so very similar to those of "Chris Hill" when he has been questioned about proof for his own alleged credentials?

Mr. Hill, and all of you alter egos, if you want to make a defense, bring proof. As we say in the courtroom, the burden of proof is on you. My invitation to meet me in any court of competent jurisdiction remains open. I am going forward with my writing, and you can go to H**L.

MildlyMiffed

Registered
Reaction score
The name "Karen", the name I was given as the contact in a large publishing company who Mr Hill had worked with, appears to be the name of a character in a series of books published by that same publisher...

Last edited:

GeoffNelder

Registered
Reaction score
Website
geoffnelder.com
MildlyMiffed said:
Hi Geoff,

If you carry on with these invasions of the solemnity and sactity of the Library system, you may well be banned for life - perhaps an interesting story for the late night talk show when you're being interviewed as a very successful author. Is this all part of your long term plan?
A plan, me? I travel in this writerly world as the muse takes me. Actually, my muse had a puncture today 16 miles from home. I wheeled it to the nearest bus stop - I live on the Chester / Welsh border. Reading the much improved clear bus timetables they put on rural bustops these days, I noted the next bus was on Thursday. Walking is good too.Geoff

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
SUNDIAL said:
How on earth do you change the description under your name?

I don't want to be an 'Esteemed New Member' anymore.

I want to be 'The Wild Witch Hunter...'

:ROFL:
After you get 50 posts, you can change your description, choose a custom avatar, and post in TIO.

Perpetual Man

Todays The Day!!!

It's been a while since I joined the discussion, but thought today was as good as any, because today is a very special day.

Yes folks, today is the day that my contract arranged through the Heel and Heel is due to happen with Morrow.

Oh yes, this is the day that my life is going to change, because I am very sure it is such a damn good deal I will never have to look back and start again....

Oh, what's that?

Spain you say?

Mr Heel? Surely not Christopher Heel?

Oh.

Sigh. Oh well, good enough day to start again, then. Wheer did I put the writer and artists year book...

And people shorten my name to Perp - I can think of someone else who deserves that....

GeoffNelder

Registered
Reaction score
Website
geoffnelder.com
Perp, it is a magic day, isn't it. over 30 H&H clients have been in touch with me since the wekend, and many had today thick ringed on their calendar. One had booked a hotel for a contract signing at a London HQ of a publsihers. Several have arranged a day off work for today. Why 20th Sept though? It is intriguing.

Thank goodness our black humour has helped us through this coruscating episode in our writerly existence.

I raise a glass to all of us. Well an eglass at this early hour.

Geoff

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
An e-glass raised back to you, Geoff. I've nothing to link me to Hill and Hill, thank goodness, but I have been impressed by the postings here--there's remarkably little of the bitterness and anger I would have expected from people caught by such a heartbreaking scam. Well done, all of you. And sorry that it happened.

Perpetual Man

And another e-glass (Scotch I think) to remind me that good things can come out of Scotland too!

seasoul

Registered
Reaction score
Buddy System

Just wondering if any of you had this experience with hill. When I dared to question him last June about some niggling doubts I had, the ever helpful Mr. Hill kindly agreed to add my name to the agency's 'Buddy System', a forum to facilitate fellow Hill clients to chat and exchange progress reports, worries etc. I was contacted by a 'buddy' called Stuart Hades (interested to see his name posted here as one of the Hill defenders) who would e-mail me and kindly offer to bring any questions I might have to Christopher Hill when he met him at the Edinborough Book Fair and such places. I once joked to my husband that maybe Hill and Hades were the one person. See! Psycic and I didn't even know it! Maybe Hill has helped me uncover a talent I never knew I had! Needless to say I have tried to e-mail this buddy of mine since the Anderson e-mail but guess what? He ain't replying.

privateeye

Registered
Reaction score
Seasoul

I would ask Italianjob about that, I am sure the name Hades rings a bell and Italianjob mentioned a few "clients" that provided reference.

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering how many members there were in the 'buddy system?'