• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Contract Language Question

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
Hi!

Does the bolded part mean that if he arranges a sale, he gets paid, even if he's no longer my agent? That's what the first part seems to mean, but I don't understand the second part. It seems like it is saying the same thing twice.

Thanks for the advice!
Prawn
Effect of Sale of Rights after Termination of Agreement:
If you sell or transfer Literary Rights in your works to a person or a company to which I submitted a proposal for the sale of those rights during the term of this agreement, I will be entitled to my full commission if the sale or transfer of rights takes place within one year after the agreement terminates. My right to compensation for a sale or disposition of rights under this agreement, once earned, shall continue even after the agreement terminates.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The first part means that you can't undercut him by "selling it yourself" to someone he sent a proposal to (within one year of termination.)

the second means that even after termination of the agreement, he continues receiving compensation (such as royalties) to which he is due. You can't avoid paying what he earned during the agreement by terminating it. That is how I read the two.

Make sure you always get an accounting of who he is submitting proposals to and when.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's correct. (As my agent explained to me.)

Always a good idea, even if things are working out well.

Absolutely! Don't wait for things to go badly before you think about documentation. Hopefully you'll never need it, but if you do...

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Yep.

The first clause is to guard against this scenario: Unscrupulous Writer gets Agent to send manuscript out to publishers. Then Unscrupulous Writer fires Agent. Then Unscrupulous Writer sells manuscript to one of the publishers, but refuses to pay Agent.

The second clause means that, ten years from now when the movie tie-in version of your amazing book is published, Agent will still get a cut of that, even if you have moved on to a different agency by then.

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the help!