Just Wondering

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I was about to make a post in the Goals and Accomplishments forum about my recent correspondance with a potential agent - until I got to thinking.

Can an agent come to AW and search for the title of your novel, short story, etc. and then find your screen name? If so, the agent would be able to read all of your posts, and knowing your true identity, may have an impact on, positive or negative, whether you're offered representation.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
I'd be wary of signing with an agent who has time to go through your past posts.

However, it's always good to keep in mind that someone will one day do a search through your history. Be it a fan, agent, media representative, family member or nosy neighbour.

If you're honest in what you post and can back up your comments in future if needed, you have nothing to worry about.

My agant and editors are well aware that I post online at various places. They have all commented on my blog and are friends on my facebook account and my facebook groups. Everything I post they can see. I have this theory that if I'm transparent to them in what I write online, maybe they'll keep me in the loop about my career as a writer.

JJ

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It's possible. But I doubt it because agents are busy. They may look through your website, blogs, etc. to see what you're about. But track you down on AW and read all your posts? Probably not.

Also, a good agent should also understand the line between professional and personal space. AW is mostly is a social site for writers. To me, it'd be a bit creepy if the agent would go to your MySpace or Facebook account to see what you chat with your friends about and who your friends are and what your favorite sexual position is...

But the bottom line is everything you post online should be a representation of you anyway. If you're posting behind a false pretense or you're posting nasty comments or whatever, then it really is your problem. The Internet is "public." I personally have nothing to hide. Everyone knows my name here (including my publisher), and they know what I'm about. I don't engage in personal attacks, etc. here. and in the professional forums, I've always been professional.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
That's why over in the land of Rejection and Dejection there's a very valuable, though oft ignored, sticky about Not Venting Your Entire Spleen. Theoretically, yes, folks can link you up to your screen name and find that post in which you ripped that rude Agent McAgentpants for being too stupid to rep your book. (Not that you ever posted something like that, but just in general :D)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.