I have a question for the writers and artists here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasmagoria

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm... why write? What else would I do with all these crazy ideas and characters constantly bombarding my headspace? :D I've always written; it's a part of me, how my mind works; and I love it, even when it frustrates me and even though I often think I'm shit at it. I couldn't fathom a life without writing. I wouldn't want to.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
What's your reason for wanting to write a novel, Manga, or a comic book?

Because I hear voices in my head and I have to write down what they say or they'll drive me insane.

I'm only half-kidding. When a character or story really comes alive to me - and do they ever - I *have* to put it on paper or it *will* drive me up a wall. I even talk about my characters as if they're real people. I've said to scarletpeaches many times, "character so-and-so really wants to do this, so I'm just going to let him and see what happens..." or "character X wouldn't do that, he's totally the kind of guy who would do this..."

So, put me in the "I write because I have to" camp. If I ever become rich and famous as a result...bonus. I do want to get published, but I write because I need to.

*Listening To Feed Our Fame by KMFDM*

I heart KMFDM.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I write because there have been/are/will be moments in my life when aside from God, writing is all I have.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
For me, a bad thing happened that I felt responsible. A young lady and her children ended up dead. I want to bring their short lives some meaning.

Rasun

Banned
Reaction score
I write because I enjoy it, and because I'm not good at anything else. I think a lot of people have a calling in life. Some people love music, others are good at managing companies, others love sailing or traveling or what have you.

I always enjoyed writing, and even when I was in elementary school I was writing "novels" in my notebooks and having a blast. When I read for fun, I would always pay attention to how the novels were structured and make mental notes for the future.

I will probably always write novels. I don't know if they will be profitable and I think it's unwise to count on that happening no matter what the story may be. Everyone wants to write that next Harry Potter these days, and everyone thinks they're the one that's going to make it... not to stomp on your* dreams or anything. Maybe you will. But what if you don't? Will you still love your work?

It's best to write and be true to yourself, and all that hippie mumbo-jumbo, and let what happens happen.

* "Your" does not refer to any one person in this case. It's a rhetoric.

Now you know why I started this thread... After my visit to the forums of Tokyopop, I figured that every aspiring writer only wanted to write "Next Big Thing." So I sought to find those writers who wrote from passion, and enjoyment alone. I sought those who allowed creativity to come to them rather than forcing it which is why so many aspiring writers F up, because they force creativity upon themselves rather than relaxing, and allowing their environment inspire them. I'm a maniac, I can't live life without doing something, or hearing something that'll give me an idea... At my job, as a a food preparer at Pizza Hut, when I have to climb over stuff to get a certain product, I pretend like I'm climbing one of the Himalayan mountains looking for a lost treasure because of how cold the freezer is, and how difficult it can be to get alot of the foods in the freezer. I often think to myself that I'm probably the only 20 year old who does that at a fast-food restaurant. Besides as I said many times, I'm only choosing writing and comic art as a career because I'd like to spend the rest of my life doing what I enjoy for a living, I really don't want to be the next "Stan Lee" "J.K.Rowling," or "Ben Dunn." I just wanna create my own universes, and share them with the world...

I write because I enjoy it. I mean, I just have a passion for writing. If I did not write, I would go completely insane, I would be bored to tears, and I would be at some job that I went to just so I could pay bills. Life needs a passion, and I have found mine.

Good answer... Along with the many other heart felt honest answers this thread has received... Do pardon my lack of awareness that there are so many writers like you out there.

Hmmm... why write? What else would I do with all these crazy ideas and characters constantly bombarding my headspace? :D I've always written; it's a part of me, how my mind works; and I love it, even when it frustrates me and even though I often think I'm shit at it. I couldn't fathom a life without writing. I wouldn't want to.

Great another clone... I'm sorry for calling you that... it's just the fact that I'm not used to having anything in common with people... I can't sit and listen to music or just let my mind wander without coming up with a new idea. I like you get his headspace bombarded with new ideas, and characters when I just let my mind wander.

Because I hear voices in my head and I have to write down what they say or they'll drive me insane.

I'm only half-kidding. When a character or story really comes alive to me - and do they ever - I *have* to put it on paper or it *will* drive me up a wall. I even talk about my characters as if they're real people. I've said to scarletpeaches many times, "character so-and-so really wants to do this, so I'm just going to let him and see what happens..." or "character X wouldn't do that, he's totally the kind of guy who would do this..."

So, put me in the "I write because I have to" camp. If I ever become rich and famous as a result...bonus. I do want to get published, but I write because I need to.

I heart KMFDM.

OMG what's with these clones?! O.O I'm sorry but again, I'm not used to having anything in common with anyone, I'm used to being a social outcast because I'm an African American manga/anime nerd who aspires to make his dreams a reality. But now I know I'm not the only individual with voices in his head who causes him to develop characters, and yeah I truly feel your pain about the characters coming to life, and kind of having a will of their own that happened when I wrote Dreamers Hearts: The Tale Of Mystical Girl and Princess Of The Damned and I had voices in my head giving me the names of The Seven Sinful Sons Of Lucifer when I was writing the sequel to Princess Of The Damned Her Infernal Majesty at which point I thought I was under Satan's influence as I heard the names "Rage," "Hate," "Fear," "Malice," "Anger," "Pain," and "Agony" whispered in my head repeatedly. (You know the christian stereotype how they are so judgmental towards everything mundane, and everyone who doesn't serve God. And everything bad that happens, or anything with a hint of demons, and evil is the Devil's Work. Now you see my problem me publishing Princess Of The Damned because a tale of the Anti-Christ seeking Salvation from God to free even her own Soul from Lucifer seems unholy.)

I write because there have been/are/will be moments in my life when aside from God, writing is all I have.

*Listening to Hau Ruck(Spezial K Remix) by KMFDM*

Do forgive me for feeling guilty, because I too am a christian, but after writing stories like Princess Of The Damned, Nether Tales, and Dreaming Soul I think zi have long since forsaken christianity. I believe I even crossed the line with the development of a soon to be written manga Divine Rebels and Samson because you see in these two stories along with my series Princess Of The Damned there exists descendants of a clan of christians who learned how to use spiritual energy through perfect faith. Basically here's how their powers work. If these individuals were to pray for protection, they'd form a barrier from their spiritual energy that is only as strong as their faith, if their faith in God's protection wanes the barrier weakens. If these individuals were to say a prayer of rebuke, they can launch a beam of energy from their hands that would phase through their adversary, and exorcise the evil within. In The Princess Of The Damned timeline I created the puritans saw this as witchcraft, and sought to annihilate this clan. And the clan had to flee, and were slowly annihilated because they knew to never use God's power to harm man, because of how he treasured his children.

For me, a bad thing happened that I felt responsible. A young lady and her children ended up dead. I want to bring their short lives some meaning.

Touching... it's also very inspiring, but if it's as personal as I think I wouldn't let anyone but a book publisher touch such a story. But hey that's just me. The reasons for me writing Princess Of The Damned and developing the manga Indestructible is because I did alot of things I'm not proud of, and I feel like expressing that pain. However I thought of keeping Indestructible under wraps, because I feel it might get a good enough fan base to be adapted into a movie, but the thing is the Aggressor as I've said is a fictional version of me who kills out of fear of facing defeat, and winds up confronting that defeat in order to save a life. So this story's very personal, and having it ruined by the media would gal me. Because I know how HollyWood works when it comes to movies based on manga/comic books, with exception of a small few. They waste money of special effects, props, and various other useless junk, having to alter the story line of the film. The Aggressor is a complex character both in design of his transformed state, and as a person. And to have a script writer, and director ruin that without gaining a true understanding of the story or characters would be annoying...

Last edited:

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
I write because I have to (sounds senseless?) If it does, I must admit I think it sounds senseless as well. But this is the only thing that comes to mind. Writing is something I am programmed to do. If I wrote for the purpose of attaining fame or fortune I'd be a pretty miserable person right now. ---I think many writers don't make a voluntary decision to become a writer--it's just what they are.quote]

Ditto. I usually say that I didn't choose writing, it chose me. Fame and fortune would be nice, but realistically I am not expecting to achieve either through writing.

Shara

Rasun

Banned
Reaction score
Why I write:

(1) I like to write.
(2) I'm good at writing.

d&f

Me too... and whadda ya mean by D&F

I do it to entertain myself. There are secondary reasons, but my favorite works were done precisely to entertain myself.

That's good at least you don't have to worry about reviews from other readers :p

I write because I have to (sounds senseless?) If it does, I must admit I think it sounds senseless as well. But this is the only thing that comes to mind. Writing is something I am programmed to do. If I wrote for the purpose of attaining fame or fortune I'd be a pretty miserable person right now. ---I think many writers don't make a voluntary decision to become a writer--it's just what they are.quote]

Ditto. I usually say that I didn't choose writing, it chose me. Fame and fortune would be nice, but realistically I am not expecting to achieve either through writing.

Shara

And what if you do...? You never know, some people may like or identify with your characters. As for me I really don't see that happening, since I was a social outcast while in high school I really don't see anyone identifying with any of my lead characters, unless the readers themselves are social misfits...( Y'know goths, Emos, Nerds, or the individual who doesn't mingle with a bias crowd because he appreciates everyone for their unique traits.)

Last edited:

LiquidGT

Registered
Reaction score
I draw and write because I have to get those ideas out of my head somehow. My characters have lives of their own in my head right now and I want to put them on paper whether it be on graphite or text. I would like to share my story that I've enjoyed so much with the world, as would we all. :D

KMFDM FTMFW! Best driving fast in a fast car music, evarrr!

Rasun

Banned
Reaction score
I do it because if I don't, my head will explode from all the unwritten stuff that keeps shouldering its way into my brain demanding a way out.

Wow and older more experienced version of myself... My what an interesting, yet small world we live in :p

That's my user name - dancingandflying/d&f. :)

Oh...OOPs... My bad...

I draw and write because I have to get those ideas out of my head somehow. My characters have lives of their own in my head right now and I want to put them on paper whether it be on graphite or text. I would like to share my story that I've enjoyed so much with the world, as would we all. :D

KMFDM FTMFW! Best driving fast in a fast car music, evarrr!

Yet another who feels my pain.... Because my characters' too have lives of their own, I try to make them a certain way, but they wind up changing later on in the story. Luciami starts out hopeful, but isolated from people because she's a demon, but later became headstrong, adventurous, and daring. Lora is shy, and quite, yet she becomes more lively, and one of my most stereotypical characters Jeezy seems to have become more responsible in looking out for his teammates...( But then again his evolution is understandable really. You see Jeezy started out as a figure of the stereotype in the black community, as he's looked after by his older cousin Tony Bross because how he was treated like a freak due to his mutant powers of pyrokenesis. I later came to notice that Jeezy became less ignorant, and reckless the more I involved him in the story, which I found odd.)

I write because I can't not write.

And because the voices tell me to.

Yet another writer who has voices in their head... So does this mean I'm not crazy? I always thought that I was because of how I would imagine what would happen next in a story, or how it seemed that when I'd get stuck on what to name a character, a voice in my head would tell me what to name that character.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
It's my current favourite way to express myself creatively. One must find creative expression or one suffers from its absence.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
I pretend like I'm climbing one of the Himalayan mountains looking for a lost treasure because of how cold the freezer is, and how difficult it can be to get alot of the foods in the freezer. I often think to myself that I'm probably the only 20 year old who does that at a fast-food restaurant.

I don't know. You'd be surprised the creative thoughts seemingly-ordinary people have during their min-wage shifts.

Rasun

Banned
Reaction score
It's my current favourite way to express myself creatively. One must find creative expression or one suffers from its absence.

Yeah shamefully though not everyone has a creative mind... I've had the misfortune of meeting some of those individuals...

I don't know. You'd be surprised the creative thoughts seemingly-ordinary people have during their min-wage shifts.

Yes that probably would surprise me, being one who doesn't really expect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.