Status
Not open for further replies.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Besides the ever-helpful Query Letter/Synopsis forum, how do you find SYW beneficial? How do you use it?

In my own case, I post a chapter, or a section of a chapter, that I'm having some trouble with. If I've posted it in SYW, that means I've already gone over it, rewritten it, but now have some trouble or doubts and need a second opinion, someone to say "nobody talks like this" or "this doesn't work at all."

I know some people will hop in and post "i just wrote this see what u think" and present a rambling first draft. Others post something so perfectly polished that nothing can improve it (not me!). I think others might be searching for praise or something that can substantiate what they think is excellent writing, but in fact it needs a lot of work and they don't really want to hear that.

Whenever I post something, I hope to benefit from all the criticism I can get, but sometimes posted comments will just blindside me and force me to think about that section before I can post a follow up comment, which usually ends up agreeing with the critique.

And always, the posted comments help me rewrite the section into something much better.

What about you? How does SYW work for you?

writehereinOhio

Registered
Reaction score
Website
amy-thewriterscloset.blogspot.com
I've only used SYW once for my novel's query letter. It's been rejected 10 times so far, so I had folks take a look. Some of the comments I rec'd were tough, but they all helped me tighten the query and (I think) make it more appealing. Posting work in SYW usually gives me food for thought on my rewrites, and also helps toughen my "flack jacket."

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I have three standard reasons for posting:

1) It's the first 500-1,000 words of my novel, which means it's the most important part - I want people to rip it to shreds so I can make it the best it can possibly be. So usually I post it regardless of how wonderful I think it is.

2) It's a scene I just can't get around. For some reason it's not working and I have no idea why.

3) It's a scene depicting something I have little experience with and need some feedback from more knowledgeable people. (For example, I posted a scene in which my female MC had been kidnapped and the creep was preparing to kill her - way out of my genre.)

Either way, I always try to make it the best I can before I post. I don't want people to focus on critiquing mistakes I already knew were there; I want them to find things I couldn't.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
In my own case, I post a chapter, or a section of a chapter, that I'm having some trouble with. If I've posted it in SYW, that means I've already gone over it, rewritten it, but now have some trouble or doubts and need a second opinion, someone to say "nobody talks like this" or "this doesn't work at all."

That's me too ( apart from the SFF challenges which are just for fun). Either the actual WIP or the query. I think you know in your gut when something isn't quite right - but it can be hard to see it objectively. Someone else's eyes can see what I'm too close to be able to do.

But mostly what I use SYW for is the purely selfish action of : Critting someone else's work, or looking at what others have put in a crit, makes my writing better.

jgold

Grinning
Registered
Reaction score
SYW is my favorite part of the forum.

I don't post unless it's been polished multiple times, and I need to see if the story works before submitting it to editors or agents.

I've gotten lots of helpful suggestions on my stories (and hopefully have provided helpful feedback to at least a few). I usually end up agreeing with about 80% of it, but applying the crits to my revisions ALWAYS improves the story.

But actually, I think I've gotten more out of simply reading comments on other people's work. There are some extremely good critters in the SYW section, and I've learned a lot since I joined. The difference between a story I wrote last year and one I wrote last week is huge.

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
I critique in SYW to pay forward to the community and to articulate thoughts on writing.

While unreasoning adulation is always a good thing, it doesn't really count unless accompanied by cash, so that's not what draws me to submit to SYW. I normally submit to get some feedback as to whether readers are getting the same thing from my work as I think I'm saying.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I haven't posted anything for critiquing to date. I prefer working with people directly when it comes to getting a critique.

I have posted comments on other people's stuff on occasion, but I don't do line-by-line (which seems to be what a lot of people are looking for). So most of the time, I don't comment. I like reading other people's critiques though.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
It's my favorite source for new story ideas, character names, and plot devices.

What?

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a SYW junkie - at least twice a day habit. For quite a while I was looking at a number of the forums, but recently I've mainly been participating in historical, both in the challenges and critting random posts.

In the time I've been frequenting SYW, my writing has improved immensely and hopefully I've been able to help some others improve their writing too. What I like most about SYW is the give and take (which sometimes requires a great deal of diplomacy). It's interesting to see the different viewpoints, different perspectives from writers all over the globe, and to read snippets of stories set in different places and time periods. In a nutshell, SYW is very educational - and it's not a fluff or crash course. Puma

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
I don't use it as I'm not seeking critique. I know I get irked when advised how to write something that I already wrote the way I want to write it, so it'd be foolish for me to post there.

Sometimes I'd like advice on more general things, but that would require knowledge of my entire stories, and THAT would require immense patience and interest, so...I have to go it alone.

Please note I'm not denigrating SYW, just answering the first question. :eek: Perhaps when I need critique on something I'll use it but I'm not at that point right now.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Posting? Validation that I'm not insane. What a silly question.
:D
Reviewing? I like to dig into another writer's unvarnished thoughts, her/his "raw feed" from the world the characters live in. I'm weird, but I like that unfiltered storytelling, even if it sucks. That's what I would ideally put up for first ten, is usually the first draft after copywright/WGA registry. And giving feedback teaches you to critique yourself better. Does that make sense?

I joined AW well after my 2 main scripts were buffed, if not fully polished, by other crit groups. But I look forward to finishing WIPs 4, 5, and 6 and including AW as a go-to source for turning my raw feed into palatable scripts.

ELMontague

I use it in several ways.

First and foremost, I use it to work out pieces I am having trouble with or just want feedback on. These have usually been drafted several times. I love the criticism and ideas.

Second, I learn from reading and critiquing other people's work. Sometimes I find I'm so close to my own writing that I can't see it. Helping other people frees up my mind and helps me to be more objective about my efforts.

Third, I think writers write. Every Thursday for about a month I've opened a new "practice" thread on Erotica SYW. I put up a topic and ask for people to reply with a brief piece on that topic. I include my offering in the post. It is written as I do the post. The idea there is to get people, myself included, writing instead of just thinking about writing. Since the goal is getting words on the page tied to the topic, I encourage everyone to participate. You are all, of course, welcome to come play. Or if you'd like to start a practice thread on one of the other forums, I'll come play with you.

BarbaraKE

Registered
Reaction score
I learn from reading and critiquing other people's work. Sometimes I find I'm so close to my own writing that I can't see it. Helping other people frees up my mind and helps me to be more objective about my efforts.

I agree with this sentiment.

I especially like reading other critiques. They sometimes point out things I've skipped right over.

But I would advise anyone posting to take all suggestions/comments with a grain of salt. Some advice is better than others. (Of course, mine is always perfect;))

Status
Not open for further replies.