Authors who broke your heart

Broadswordbabe

I'd rather be a cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gaiesebold.com
Fay Weldon. Used to be utterly brilliant, witty, wonderful political writer - without ever being, in my opinion at least, unnecessarily preachy. Then she got this strange obsession with therapists (has anyone else noticed that in her last few books therapists and counsellors seemed to be universally Teh Evil?), her writing got thinner and far less pointed, and she ended up writing a book sponsored by some jewellery company for the excessively rich! Break my heart in several ways at once, lady, why don't you?

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Originally Posted by William Haskins
in all these cases, the same thing is true: they don't owe you anything.
Precisely. An author, musician or filmmaker owe fans nothing beyond what the fans originally enjoyed. All that is "owed" between the two parties takes place at the point of purchase. Fans can certainly voice their disapproval, but they shouldn't feel like they are "owed" a damn thing. That mindset baffles me.

You're point is logical and on the face of logic, I would say you and Will are correct.

However, I still feel the author owes me something and it has nothing to do with logic.

For right or wrong, a reader forms a bond with a book, a story, a character. That story becomes a small part of you. It is a certain type of intimacy that transcends logic.

So when an author presents a next work that does not continue that relationship, then as the reader you feel hurt, disappointed, betrayed, etc.

I submit that it is the human response, and this is an area where logic doesn't have much play.

Technically, the only contract between the author and reader is the money used to purchase the goods.

But technicalities be damned, you get me to fall in love with your books, then start cranking out bullshit, and I will hate you for it and wish upon you terminal gonorrhea

have a pleasant day :)

Mel....

AmandaAcidic

Good morning beautiful!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
amandalynb.blogspot.com
I agree with Dgiharris. Except I won't hate the author. I'll just be very sad, and keep buying the books in hopes that said author will discover the error of her ways and get her books back to what the used to be, only better.

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, don't judge me, because I read these when I was younger, but I became increasingly disappointed with Meg Cabot's work. She was my favorite author EVAR in Junior High. I loved the Princess Diaries books, and I also loved the book All American Girl. But then I read Teen Idol...Ready or Not...Princess in Waiting...and they were all barf. Even more barf was her adult book, The Boy Next Door. She did have one redeeming moment with the book Party Princess, which I thought was great. But then she fell off the horse again. I couldn't even get through Avalon High or How to Be Popular.

I guess I don't read too many books by the same author anymore, so I haven't have this problem since dear Meg.

OctoberRain

I triple dog dare you.
Registered
Reaction score
I ditto James Patterson. His books now read like outlines - all shell, no soft tasty insides.

agfleenor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
angelafleenor.tumblr.com
David Foster Wallace, in his home, on a breezy September day.

TRUTH. :C

In terms of authors who had me going and then didn't, the biggest is Neil Gaiman. I love American Gods with all of my heart and more. Since then, however, he's been writing things I am not interested in--fluffy comedies and YA fiction. It's still good, but it just doesn't have the bite.

Mythical Tiger

I RUN WITH THE TIGERS
Registered
Reaction score
Deep in the woods, running with the Tigers......
Stephanie Meyers with the Twilight series...... I liked the first book, but then her writing started getting weak and kind of pathetic to me... By that I mean, her characters are just too dumb. Like Bella, she's way to dependent on Edward. And then she ruins Jacob. And she STILL go's to him after she's hurt him already. I mean, what the hell? Then theres Edward..... Ah, let me see... Yes well, he's too protective. He worries about every little thing with Bella. He leave's her after she gets hurt in the beginning[sp?] of the second book. Then she turn's pathetic and mopes around for months and use's Jacob. Then she acts dumb and run's into Edwards arms in the end. Surprise, surprise.
Well that my opinion. No offense to any twilight fans out there^_~

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
In terms of authors who had me going and then didn't, the biggest is Neil Gaiman. I love American Gods with all of my heart and more. Since then, however, he's been writing things I am not interested in--fluffy comedies and YA fiction. It's still good, but it just doesn't have the bite.

Just wanted to point out that American Gods was hardly the first thing Gaiman wrote, so it's not like he started out wonderful and then went downhill. He seems to like to experiment with different formats and styles. I think he hits different people with different things.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't quite given up on her yet, but Laurell K. Hamilton is starting to break my heart. You might have heard me say how great she is, and I still believe that. But her books lately.... have really gone downhill. The reason I fell in love with her books in the first place was because she mixed violence, sex, action, and the supernatural together perfectly. The last few books have been sex, sex, and more sex. I can't really put it into words very well, but I miss what her books used to be so much. There's nothing that keeps me reading. I mean, I like a good sex scene as much as the next girl, but if that's all there is in a two hundred page book.... it gets repetitive and dull.

Yep, what I was going to say. Loved her books when she first started writing the Anita Blacke series (haven't gotten into the other one). Great plots, cool characters, cooler monsters, great action/violence scenes, and just enough sex to have you begging for more. Now it is mostly about sex (sorry, feeding the ardeur). I am reading Blood Noir, am halfway through it, and I keep wondering where it is going. Seriously, nothing has happened yet. Normally there is something exciting in the first chapter. She used to be one of my fave authors, what a letdown. Some people might still love her. Hey, I love lots of raunchy sex too. But I prefer a plot with my sex. That is just me.

Can't comment on Anne Rice. I have only read Interview with a Vampire, and loved it. Have a few others, just haven't gotten around to them yet. As far as her new book, no thank you, I will pass. Not my cup of tea.

Patricia Cornwell, I have only read her early books, and they are fantastic! I love forensics, very interested in medical mysteries, death investigation. So I am a little bummed that they aren't all great. I will keep reading though.

kellysarah

Registered
Reaction score
Add me to the pile going for Laurell K Hamilton. When a book is 200 pages long and it's covered 2 days and all the main character has done is had sex with a few different men, it's just not good. I loved the first few Anita Blake novels- and then Richard got all annoying, and she kept going on about the "white picket fence" and "like so many this and so many that" and then the ardeur came along (literally!) and it all got a bit silly. I still love Jean Claude- he's the best vampire I've ever read- but I'm not going to be reading anymore AB stories.

Also, don't get me started on Micah and his amazing "thing".

I do prefer the Merry Gentry series. At least that's meant to be all about sex!

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score
Patricia Cornwell.

Man, I ate her stuff up. At some point, and if I am not mistaken it was around the time she took on a new editor, her stuff got darker and her characters just plain less likeable.

I loved Scarpetta, I loved the forensics angle all of her stories took.

I finally gave in and picked a scarpetta novel up not too long ago and it was still just too dark and almost depressing for me. A little depressing I can deal with, but wow.

She jumped the shark for me with that awful Jack the Ripper book. I haven't been able to read her since.

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
I think it is unrealistic and unfair to expect an author to continue to write a series as brilliantly at he/she did in the beginning. Whether readers like it or not authors do become ‘written out’ for a particular set of characters. As much as the author may want to continue, may want something strong and fresh, those characters are just done.

So if an author has lost their ability to match what they once wrote you would be happier if they quit writing completely? Didn’t Clancy try to do that? How did that go?

Have you no sympathy for Conan Doyle? He made get by money from Holmes, but hated him. The characters he loved (which are pretty good too) his readers didn’t think much of. (Before you go - hey, knights etc, they were popular in the 1850s - mid 70s - he shouldn’t have gotten shafted, but that’s the way it goes.)

Sir Otter is right about PC and her idea of being a detective vs. Jack the Ripper. Please! Any beginning art history student or first year psychology student could have seen the flaw, even without knowing a certain party was out of town on a very important date.

I also think getting seriously ill can dent your style. If you haven't made the huge bucks in the USA you'd better keep writing to pay your doctors.

Last edited:

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score
Sir Otter is right about PC and her idea of being a detective vs. Jack the Ripper. Please! Any beginning art history student or first year psychology student could have seen the flaw, even without knowing a certain party was out of town on a very important date.

And a tip of the Hatlo hat right back atcha. :{) Rumbelow disposed of Sickert as a suspect in the intro to his seminal book, for exactly the reason you allude to. As big a problem was how sloppily it was put together. It read like a sequence of partially developed essays. Sickert was twisted enough to maybe write some of the letters, but she falls prey to a false syllogism to conclude his authorship made him the Ripper. I've written Cthulhu Mythos pieces --- does that make me H.P. Lovecraft? Then, she ignores the George Lusk letter, which is likely the only one actually written by the Ripper. There's more, but my blood pressure is peaking just writing about the damned thing.

Last edited:

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Yes, for me...it's about the crap that Ms. Rice churns. She's too self important now to take the time to write a good story.
Have you seen her new book, Called Out of Darkness?

According to her website, she's no longer an atheist. I didn't ever consider reading her until well after everyone else had. I felt her writing was too dark for me but I gave Interview with a Vampire, a try. I liked it a lot but then I also stopped reading her and don't think I even got past a few pages of Armand. I can't even say why now.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Have you seen her new book, Called Out of Darkness?

According to her website, she's no longer an atheist. I didn't ever consider reading her until well after everyone else had. I felt her writing was too dark for me but I gave Interview with a Vampire, a try. I liked it a lot but then I also stopped reading her and don't think I even got past a few pages of Armand. I can't even say why now.

oh dear cassi, late again. :p she's been a reborn Catholic for years now. She's completely disavowed her vampire books ( it would be interesting to know if she's disavowed her royalty payments as well) and is now writing the biography of christ in a series of books.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
So if an author has lost their ability to match what they once wrote you would be happier if they quit writing completely? Didn’t Clancy try to do that? How did that go?

Nope. I would expect the writer to move on and try something new. Create a new character. Stop beating the dead horse and other assorted metaphors.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
oh dear cassi, late again. :p she's been a reborn Catholic for years now. She's completely disavowed her vampire books ( it would be interesting to know if she's disavowed her royalty payments as well) and is now writing the biography of christ in a series of books.
Well, I had seen this more than a year ago. But, have you checked out her website? She's advertising the Vampire Chronicles.

Official Site

If she's disavowed them why is she actively promoting them and part of her site is devoted to Lestat.

*crosses eyes* :tongue

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
Robin Hobb. Love her Farseer-Liveship Traders- Tawny Man series but... the last book broke my heart. Feels like she sold out to the homophobes :(

Anne Robillard (Quebec author of Fantasy), I loved the first couple of books from her "Chevalier d'Emeraude" series then they became a list of who marries whom and who's having babies, and a bunch of sentimental crap.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com

Catholics are not "reborn". If you are Catholic, you are, either practicing or non-practicing but we don't teach the "reborn" or "born again" philosophy.

I had not heard that she had "disavowed" her vampire books but there is really no reason that she would have to based on her faith. Doing so, if she did, would be an entirely personal choice.

Shamrockgreen

A day on the skeet range helps the frustration
Registered
Reaction score
Sue Grafton, Patricia Cornwell, Kelley Armstrong, Laurel K Hamilton, Anne Rice, and the list goes on and on......though I do not read much category romance (historical, etc) I will tell you from being a long time bookseller, when those huge historical romance writers went supsense, their readers were not happy. They bought their books anyway, but I think if they went back to some good ole bodice ripping romance, they would bring back some of their readers.

Hesperides

Bloody love
Registered
Reaction score
Anne Rice plunged the knife in my heart. Getting on YouTube and basically saying the Vamp. Chronicles were something else entirely just put me to tears. My life changed after reading those books and she's just crushed them like a cigarette butt. Shame on her.