Hard times for hard backs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
< is part of the crew who will wait for a paperback to come out before he buys it.

Unless it's a book that I have been waiting for for so long and am antsy about it.

DeeCaudill

Nightmare Recycler
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry much about libraries passing up on a book because of a lack of hard cover binding. There are jobbers out there who can take paperbacks and re-case them in hard-cover bindings for libraries. We often use them at our library on academic press titles where the cloth binding is $50+ more than the paperback.

A lot of the hard-covers being sold these days are perfect bindings anyway, so they're not much different from a paperback in terms of long-term durability.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry much about libraries passing up on a book because of a lack of hard cover binding. There are jobbers out there who can take paperbacks and re-case them in hard-cover bindings for libraries. We often use them at our library on academic press titles where the cloth binding is $50+ more than the paperback.

A lot of the hard-covers being sold these days are perfect bindings anyway, so they're not much different from a paperback in terms of long-term durability.

As an author, I would think you wouldn't want libraries to have your books anyway. That's a lot of free reading (aka loss of sales for YOU the author).

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
As an author, I would think you wouldn't want libraries to have your books anyway. That's a lot of free reading (aka loss of sales for YOU the author).

Well, there are a number of factors here.
First off, library sales are a HUGE factor in the sales of a book, period.
Plus, every person who reads and likes your book from a library contributes to the word of mouth on it, the importance of which can't be understated.
Plus plus, some countries have public lending payments which actually issue "royalties" (for lack of a better term) to writers based on their presence in the library system.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I'm strictly a hardcover reader. Actually, I dislike reading paperbacks and could count on one hand the number of times I have bought one.

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
At $25+ a pop I can't remember the last hardback non-textbook I've bought... ever. Well, okay, 5 books for $1 from the Sci-Fi Book club. But other than that?

I can't imagine, in today's digital and space-saving world, how hardbacks will ever survive.

Hardbacks cost $55 in Australia. I almost never buy them directly from the shops unless I have a discount coupon or I really, really, want it. Most of the times I get my hardbacks second-hand from Amazon.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.