Favorite Christmas Songs?

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I mean, we have that other thread, a counterbalance is only appropriate, right?

Since my folks tended to play a lot of Motown Christmas albums in the house growing up (no, not because we were black... ... ... ...okay, yes, yes, that was probably a factor...), and since I'm a sucker for sappiness, Stevie Wonder's Someday at Christmas is a personal fave (also check out the version sung by Justin Bieber, who's way to young and Canadian to be all soulful like that).

Also, Donny Hathaway This Christmas (who cuts right to the romance in the first line, "Hang all the mistletoe,I'm gonna get to know you better, This Christmas"), and finally The Temptations bringing unspeakable levels of cool to Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer of all songs...

All right folks, drop your faves...

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maaaannnn... what you know about some Alexander O'Neal?

Also, I have to add "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," "I'll Be Home for Christmas," and "Winter Wonderland," any of which I'm prone to sing karaoke style with sufficient liquid encouragement...

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
That particular AO'N number is produced by my favorite musical producers ever -- Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. ;)

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
"Sleigh Ride" by Alexander O'Neal
Well, I'd agree with Sleigh Ride -- but a more traditional version -- because it's got some great changes and there are lot of jazz versions that swing like mad.

And I've always been fond of Merry Christmas Baby -- Charlie Brown. A Christmas blues.

But the iconic song has to be Mel Torme's The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire) -- Nat King Cole does the definitive version.

Lady Cat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
randomwriterlythoughts.blogspot.com
Anything from the Christmas Eve Trilogy by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. My daughter loathes those CDs because it's pretty much all I play, this time of year.

And I absolutely love the video for Christmas Eve in Sarajevo (also TSO)
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=7iY4Tom6-wM

Other than that I'll stick to the oldies: Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole . . .

Last edited:

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Anything Andy Williams, except Run to the Hills, because that's Iron Maiden, and they DID NOT do a Christmas album. My warmest regards to Mr. Ae. It was not personal.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sooooooooooooooooo not a Mariah Carey fan....AT ALL. But....the one song that I look forward to hearing each year, the most, among the rest.....is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlJIWxSLl2w

It's so Jolly. It IS happy. It's peppy, cheerful, sweet, joyous and screams CHRISTMAS, to me.

Mainly it reminds me of Christmas's passed spent at my aunt and uncles home, each year we'd go and do the same thing, nothing but sit around eating, drinking, listening to holiday tunes, everybody around to enjoy the holiday. And it never failed, this song always came on.

Last edited:

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
I have no idea who sings it, was before I was born, "Santa Baby" is one of my favs.

And it's not exactly Christmas, but I like Adam Sandler's Chanukah song (tried to copy/paste the link here, but it's just not happening. If you google Adam Sandler Chanukah song it's one of the first that pop up)

ETA: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrd9p47MPHg

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
any of which I'm prone to sing karaoke style with sufficient liquid encouragement...

plies Jcomp with Scotch

I like Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, by the Pretenders. Chrissie Hynde has such a bluesy, unadorned delivery that you can really hear the heartbreak in the song. Also, their 2000 Miles.

And we discussed this in another thread, but I love Fairytale of New York, by the Pogues and Kirsty MacColl. Melancholy, biting, romantic.

Blake M. Petit

Geek Pundit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.evertimerealms.com
A few more obscure ones:

Elf's Lament ~ Barenaked Ladies & Michael Buble
Waiting For George Bailey ~ Early Edison
Mr. Heatmiser ~ Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
Better Days ~ Goo Goo Dolls
Chiron Beta Prime ~ Jonathan Coulton