• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Ezine] Beneath Ceaseless Skies

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
I sold them a story a few months ago (it'll appear in January) and was paid promptly. The editor is fantastic, very professional and friendly. I've been very impressed with the quality of stories in the first several issues, too.

Dara

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.capriciousquills.com
I've seen this ezine listed on Ralan's.com. I've submitted to them before and although they didn't accept my story they seemed polite and professional. That's about all I know of them.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
I've seen them listed on Ralan before, but am uncertain whether my stories would fit. They claim not to want science fiction, but then proceed to say that they might want some types of science fiction. They make reference to several (what I consider) sub-genre of SF, but do not specify space opera...

Maybe one of these times, I'll try my luck and submit...

Also, not sure whether I like the option to get paid 2 cents a word for inclusion in a print anthology...isn't that a bit low?

Last edited:

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Also, not sure whether I like the option to get paid 2 cents a word for inclusion in a print anthology...isn't that a bit low?
Actually that's about average for reprints. Remember if they're accepting your story into an anthology then they already have published it onto their magazine before.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Just got a rejection from them 21 days after I subbed.
Can't fault the response time

Phoebe H

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ph-unbalanced.livejournal.com
This is a market for second-world fantasy. If it takes place on earth, they don't want it. The kind of sf that they'll take is some form of science fantasy, where the fantastic elements are present, but can be explained scientifically.

I've submitted there a few times, but haven't sold anything. He's slowing down a bit on response rates, but they're still very good. It's worth mentioning that virtually all of his rejection letters are personal rejections, so you'll at least get some idea why the story didn't work for him.

The other thing that is really nice is that if you go to their forums, he was a thread that he updates about every week or so saying where he is in the slush pile -- so you know when to start getting nervous. Also in that thread, he gives submission stats every few months -- how many submissions he received, how many acceptances, how many rewrite requests, how many rejections. So if you like to see that kind of data -- he makes it freely available.

kzmiller

Fair weather fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
The Columbia River Gorge (Washington side)
Website
www.kzmiller.com
I have a story in Issue #18. This is a very good market to break into. They've started to get some notice, and their stories are getting reviewed in Locus (!) and in the Internet Review of Science Fiction by Lois Tilton. (My story survived review in IRoSF. Yay! And Mansion of Bones got a coveted RECOMMENDED.) If they can stay afloat long enough, I anticipate that this will become a favorite fantasy magazine for a lot of readers. Response times will continue to lengthen as writers discover this magazine, but they're still one of the quickest responders I submit to. Also, Scott is excellent to work with. I hope he continues to have time to have a hand in editing--working with him on my story was a fantastic experience.

Fokker Aeroplanbau

Registered
Reaction score
Website
negationcorner.blogspot.com
I've never contacted or participated, yet.

I did click the 'Subscribe' button so I hope I'm not entirely disappointed. :)

If it seems like good material, then I could see what I can do about submitting.

PandaNinja

Panda loves ninjas~
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for responding back! I was going through my bookmarks and noticed that I saved their website. I might have to check them out someday!