AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Ezine] Beneath Ceaseless Skies

practical experience, FTW Shadow Dragon's Avatar

[Ezine] Beneath Ceaseless Skies

Has any of you heard news about this fairly new on-line magazine? Here's their site http://beneath-ceaseless-skies.com/. Everything appears normal and they pay professional rates for stories, five cents a word.
    "There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." - Socrates

I sold them a story a few months ago (it'll appear in January) and was paid promptly. The editor is fantastic, very professional and friendly. I've been very impressed with the quality of stories in the first several issues, too.

I've seen this ezine listed on Ralan's.com. I've submitted to them before and although they didn't accept my story they seemed polite and professional. That's about all I know of them.
    My Website

Brought to Life--Coming in March '09 from Lyrical Press.

At the publishing party, whacking the piņata
    For the record, my rejection noted that my story was "too modern" for their tastes, so they're not looking for alternate history that takes place in the modern era.
    ~Bryn

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment astonwest's Avatar
    I've seen them listed on Ralan before, but am uncertain whether my stories would fit. They claim not to want science fiction, but then proceed to say that they might want some types of science fiction. They make reference to several (what I consider) sub-genre of SF, but do not specify space opera...

Maybe one of these times, I'll try my luck and submit...

Also, not sure whether I like the option to get paid 2 cents a word for inclusion in a print anthology...isn't that a bit low?
    Last edited by astonwest; 12-02-2008 at 05:10 AM.

Big Daddy West
    Make sure to visit AstonWest.com
    I'm also on Facebook and Twitter

Check out my newest novels, Death Brings Victory (the latest Aston West "in-the-series" novel) and The Cure.

practical experience, FTW Shadow Dragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by astonwest View Post
    Also, not sure whether I like the option to get paid 2 cents a word for inclusion in a print anthology...isn't that a bit low?
    Actually that's about average for reprints. Remember if they're accepting your story into an anthology then they already have published it onto their magazine before.
    "There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." - Socrates

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Just got a rejection from them 21 days after I subbed.
    Can't fault the response time

practical experience, FTW Phoebe H's Avatar
    This is a market for second-world fantasy. If it takes place on earth, they don't want it. The kind of sf that they'll take is some form of science fantasy, where the fantastic elements are present, but can be explained scientifically.

I've submitted there a few times, but haven't sold anything. He's slowing down a bit on response rates, but they're still very good. It's worth mentioning that virtually all of his rejection letters are personal rejections, so you'll at least get some idea why the story didn't work for him.

The other thing that is really nice is that if you go to their forums, he was a thread that he updates about every week or so saying where he is in the slush pile -- so you know when to start getting nervous. Also in that thread, he gives submission stats every few months -- how many submissions he received, how many acceptances, how many rewrite requests, how many rejections. So if you like to see that kind of data -- he makes it freely available.
    When night divides the girls
    Like lipstick and clothes,
    Who can tell what they're made of?

--- Halou

Now even more Unbalanced!

The Strength to Bear: Expanded Horizons, March 2009
    Chasing Mundanity: 14k; making the rounds
    Serving Girl: making the rounds
    Dissonance (For the Glory of Vol): Ch 10/Ch 37

The Columbia River Gorge (Washington side)
    I have a story in Issue #18. This is a very good market to break into. They've started to get some notice, and their stories are getting reviewed in Locus (!) and in the Internet Review of Science Fiction by Lois Tilton. (My story survived review in IRoSF. Yay! And Mansion of Bones got a coveted RECOMMENDED.) If they can stay afloat long enough, I anticipate that this will become a favorite fantasy magazine for a lot of readers. Response times will continue to lengthen as writers discover this magazine, but they're still one of the quickest responders I submit to. Also, Scott is excellent to work with. I hope he continues to have time to have a hand in editing--working with him on my story was a fantastic experience.

Today is your last day. FOTSGreg's Avatar
    A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible things lurk just beneath the surface of reality
    I received a rejection from them the very day I sent the story in (May 11th). I am naturally suspicious of the timing and probably will not submit to them again due to that.

Find my books on Smashwords at https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/fotsgreg
    Find my books on Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/G.W.-Ellis/e/B...805&sr=1-2-ent
    WIPs: Dark Horizons, Hivers, The Bar, Gated

I've never contacted or participated, yet.

I did click the 'Subscribe' button so I hope I'm not entirely disappointed.

If it seems like good material, then I could see what I can do about submitting.
    Se non e vero, e molto ben trovato.
    A blog, it's sort of awesome.

Any updates with them?

They're amazing, but I stopped subbing to them a few years ago. I always got personalized rejections, but I'm not their kind of writer.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

Thank you for responding back! I was going through my bookmarks and noticed that I saved their website. I might have to check them out someday!