Where do you do most of your reading?

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
In the bed or on the subway. Sometimes I curl up on the couch on a weekend afternoon.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious. Where do you guys (and gals) do most of your reading? I always grew up reading in my bed before I turned in for the night, and I still do a good majority of my reading either on the bed or laying back on the couch.

Though I've noticed lately, that I've been doing more and more of it in the bathroom. I'll take a book in with me while I go to "do my business" if you will, and wind up getting so engrossed that by the time I remember what I was doing in there in the first place, I'm another 30 or so pages into it. I never really understood the point of reading in the bathroom until just recently. If you haven't tried it, I would honestly recommend it (strange as that is to hear).

I absolutely cannot read in the bed -- I'm either already asleep or in a state of losing consciousness, so I'm reading the same sentence over and over as my head falls off my arm and I still don't know what the sentence was to begin with.

Bathroom is where it is at. Good choice. I especially do this at work; get payed to p***.

Oh, I went there.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
Anywhere and everywhere. I always have books with me. I also have an Amazon Kindle that I keep with me at all times, so if something bizarre happened and I finished all of the books I had, I could just whip that out and keep going. I don't know what I'd do while waiting in line, at lunch, sitting in a car, on a break, watching TV or movies, etc if I didn't have a book to read.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Anywhere.

Most common are the bed, the bath, and the couch. But since I eat a lot of meals alone, I read at the table while I eat. I read while doing the eliptical if I'm not running. I read while I'm waiting at the doctor's office or the DMV. I read at my in-laws while everyone else is watching football. I read in the car, in the airport, on the plane. Basically...anywhere, any time that I have time. :)

jessicaorr

Book fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Though I've noticed lately, that I've been doing more and more of it in the bathroom. I'll take a book in with me while I go to "do my business" if you will, and wind up getting so engrossed that by the time I remember what I was doing in there in the first place, I'm another 30 or so pages into it. I never really understood the point of reading in the bathroom until just recently. If you haven't tried it, I would honestly recommend it (strange as that is to hear).

LOL sounds like my husband.

I read mostly on the couch in the living room. I'd love to get a huge overstuffed chair to put by the fire place. Reading by the fire is A+ ... as long as you're not too close.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
Mostly in bed, though I never read before bed because I already have enough trouble sleeping, and would never be able to if I were engrossed in a book.

I read while I cook, during short breaks at work, waiting at the airports or train stations, on vacation, in bed, out of bed, and anywhere in between.

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
On the train. There are always a lot of other people reading there as well, so it's fun to see the other books. And in the car, and in my living room.

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
In bed nearly every night, and on the patio when the weather is nice.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Lunchbreaks at work and train journeys (when I make them).

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm one of those people who LOVE to read, but I simply can't do it while doing other stuff. I try to read while I eat, for example, and it's a struggle for me. lol

Even reading and smoking can pose a slight challenge to me, although I can do those at the same time just barely. :tongue

For the most part, when I read, I have to devote my full attention to it so I do most of my reading at home.

For that reason, I go through phases where I'll read a lot...and then life will get busy and I won't read anything. I'm in one of those phases where I haven't been able to read for a while, and I am starting to feel the itch.

creamofmushroom

>_<
Registered
Reaction score
Mostly on the bed or on the couch sometimes on the floor with a bowl of grapes around me because i have to eat whenever i read ^^

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
In bed definitly, husband and son are asleep. I can't sleep, I find a book and depending on the day and time I originally crawled into bed about an hour to two later I look at the ceiling (my clock if projected on it) and remind myself that if I have any hope in waking at 5 AM, I must try to sleep. Bed is a must, but my hands become cramped from holding the book, so I have to attempt to massage it out or deal with it. But a good book is worth it. And my husband keeps up the habit w/ 1 new book a week. Sorry to bring the thread back after so long.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
Almost anywhere. I read in bed a lot. I can read on the couch, usually when I get home late from work, and everyone is asleep. I also have a big comfy papason chair in the kids playroom, so I can read while they play. I also read in the car while picking up my daughter from school, and during my break at work.

My husband will read in the bathroom, usually the only place he does read. Me, I could only read a page, maybe. I am not in there long enough.

Diamond Lil

Registered
Reaction score
I usually read curled up on the far end of the couch. I read so much that my husband has named it "the Book Nook."

When the weather's nice I also read on a bench in the park.

Zipotes

Registered
Reaction score
I'll read anywhere. My favourite is early in the morning or late at night in bed when everything is quiet.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
I've always suffered from a mandatory compulsion to read, from a very young age, so I read whenever I'm still. I can't eat without reading (unless I'm at a restaurant with company - and I never eat at a restaurant alone) and will even read those ad flyers you get in your mailbox if there's nothing else. That's how bad it is.

I'll even re-read them if there's nothing else.

Strangely enough, a few years ago I went through a lengthy period where I couldn't read anything in one long sitting. It was like I was struck with Attention Deficit Disorder.

I would buy books and lose interest in them and leave them unfinished. And if I tried to read for too long, I'd become very sleepy. I don't know if it had anything to do with my writing or just things going on in my life at the time.

It was very frustrating.

RickN

Registered
Reaction score
I read everywhere. I don't leave my house without a book.

I've read before bed every night since I can remember. I read in the bathroom, during TV commercials, while I'm cooking, while I'm in the tub --- note that these are seperate events, not some bizarre ritual I have.

I finish a book every couple days. My list for 2009 has 16 completed books on it and I'll finish "Odd Hours" by Dean Koontz today.

Shamrockgreen

A day on the skeet range helps the frustration
Registered
Reaction score
I will read anywhere a book can be carried.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
I used to read anywhere. But since I started reading the classics, I realized that the only way to read (and actually understand and enjoy!) is in a comfortable position on a completely quiet place with no distractions.

So now I read in the middle of the night.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... at my desk. Do just about everything there, including talking on the phone, eating, bathing ...